RamWraith is offline Registered User

Smoker loses battle of wills with Martz

By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    Monday, Jun. 06 2005

When second-year quarterback Jeff Smoker arrived at Rams Park this past weekend
    for minicamp, he found a spanking-new number 15 jersey awaiting him.

He realized then that he'd finally lost the battle of wills with coach Mike
    Martz.

Martz believes that some numbers carry bad karma and that 9 is one of them.
    Trouble was, Smoker had worn 9 since his junior football days and didn't want
    to give it up. So that's what he wore during his rookie season.

Smoker acknowledged that Martz had ``tried to get me to change it, and I kind
    of just kept putting it off and putting it off.''

Apparently Martz tired of waiting for Smoker to come around, so he forced the
    issue. ``I showed up, and that number was in my locker,'' Smoker said.

A highly placed team source said the new number was accompanied by a threat
    from Martz that Smoker would be released if he didn't comply. ``No, he didn't
    say that,'' Smoker insisted. ``But I kind of took the hint and switched the
    number. So, I guess I'll be 15 now.''

After the final minicamp workout Sunday, Martz wryly suggested that the change
    had immediately boosted Smoker's game. ``He made significant improvement just
    in the last couple of practices,'' Martz said. ``Something happened with him;
    I'm not sure what it is.''

Seriously, Martz was impressed with Smoker, who is trying to win the backup job
    behind Marc Bulger. ``He's really matured, he's calmed down, just his whole
    presence is different,'' Martz said. ``His confidence is way up there.
    Obviously, he's got a good grasp of what we're doing.''

But Smoker hasn't quite adjusted to 15 yet. ``I think it makes me look fat, the
    two digits,'' said Smoker, 6-foot-3 and 223 pounds. ``I liked just the one
    digit. It kept me looking more slender and athletic. But, whatever. It's just a
    number.''

Scidog68 is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Smoker loses battle of wills with Martz

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    ``I think it makes me look fat, the
    two digits,'' said Smoker, 6-foot-3 and 223 pounds. ``I liked just the one
    digit. It kept me looking more slender and athletic. But, whatever. It's just a
    number.''

Makes him look fat? What is he, a sissy-lala? Great! Our backup QB is a girly-man......not that there's anything wrong with that! It's just not very football-like. Or confidence inspiring!

Hooah

Win, Lose or Draw... Rams for Life!
    :football:

RamTime Guest

Re: Smoker loses battle of wills with Martz

This is some funny stuff. As rediculous as it seems to me, I'll bet it is converse to the people directly involved. "Makes me look fat". Oh my God, I'm laughing my a$$ off at that. & "He's already showing improvement". What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

"makes me look fat" ..... :redface: That's funny stuff....either way...said in jest, or said as a girly-man....it's funny.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Comic relief is not a bad thing and it sounds like everyone involved is at least having a little fun with it. This type of "controversy" I can handle, as long as Smoker doesn't threaten to kill Martz or anything.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This whole thing is just stupid. Come on Martz, it's a number, what's the big deal? Oh well, it looks like everybody else is at least taking it in stride. If this is the biggest off-field issue we have, I'll call it a successful summer.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

If I Were Smoker I Would Buy 50-#9 Jerseys And Hang Them All Over Mad Mikes Office.

moklerman is offline Registered User

I'm torn on the issue. The Rams haven't had a qb wear #15 since ole' Vince was embroiled in the qb drama of the early '80's. I always kind of assumed the Rams had un-officially retired the number. LOL. But, it will be nice to see a qb for the Rams wearing #15 again since it was always my favorite number for a qb.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    If I Were Smoker I Would Buy 50-#9 Jerseys And Hang Them All Over Mad Mikes Office.
    Mike would mistake it for 25 Ray Agnew jerseys. :redface:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Smoker loses battle of wills with Martz-agnew_feature_46682.jpg  
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Thought Mad Mike was a christian! Is'nt it supposed to be against the lords will to be superstitious. If i had a contract with a team and the coach changed my# i'm not sure if he told me that if were told that i'd be cut i argued the fact that i wanted a # that i have worn since my childhood days. I'm not sure that i'd want to play for him!........This is so stupid for a grown man as in MM to be thinking that a # would have any reference on the playing ability of a player is so stupid IMPO. Try coaching a little more MM!
    Sounds to me as if MM has a control issue! I'd pretty much think that there might of been a letter of sorts with the #15 jersey!..........Wah! Wah!....if it's true!..........That gesture would be for MM!..........Also don't really believe MM on the Turley issue either! Even though i agree with the most of you about Kyle! He's better off gone from the team..............................................................But, i do like the #15 jersey (Ferragamo!)

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

As long as the QB's number is 4 or higher I have no problem with it. Anything under 4 just looks stupid. 1-3 is for kickers. :mask:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey