Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Snead talks about Brian Quick

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Snead talks about Brian Quick

Good video interview with Les Snead on Quick's progress, expectations, etc ..

Link:

http://www.rams-news.com/snead-on-br...jackson-video/
    Last edited by MauiRam; -01-16-2013 at 12:49 PM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Snead talks about Brian Quick

Quick is undoubtedly this offseason's "wild card."

Everyone expects that the Rams will sign or draft a WR, but what if they don't?

Certainly, the "experts" will be up in arms, give the Rams a low draft grade, and suggest that the team is being irresponsible.

Of course, if the Rams start the year with Quick, Givens and Amendola as the WRs and Quick blossoms into at No. 1 WR, all of those "experts" will be proven wrong.

No doubt, though, that whether or not the Rams sign or draft a WR, Quick is a big part of the team's plans.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I sure hope that Quick develops a bit faster than Jackson did or the Rams will be in the same boat next year. Just looked up Vincent Jackson's stats since that was the comparison Snead made. Put up 450 yards his 2nd year, 620 his 3rd year, and topped 1,000 his 4th year.

Even if Quick put up Jackson's Year 3 numbers in 2013, is that good enough to justify not looking for more help at the WR position right now? I guess it depends on if the Rams FO is willing to gamble on what they have. Thankfully Givens looked like he really progressed last year, but if they're wrong, I don't imagine the offense will be much better next year

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Quick is undoubtedly this offseason's "wild card."

Certainly, the "experts" will be up in arms, give the Rams a low draft grade, and suggest that the team is being irresponsible.
    What happens if we draft Tyler Eifert (TE) but no wide receivers - would that mollify the "experts," and thus exonerate Fish/Snead?

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would take the 7 TDs Jackson had in his second year. The Rams need to find a way to add 7 points per game to the offense next year. I'm hoping to read sometime in the near future that Quick and Bradford are working out together, like we read that Amendola was flown in on Sam's dime to workout in the off season last year.

He will make a jump next year how much who knows. If the Rams don't draft or sign a receiver that tells you what the Rams FO thinks he will do.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-16-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    live4ramin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    I sure hope that Quick develops a bit faster than Jackson did or the Rams will be in the same boat next year. Just looked up Vincent Jackson's stats since that was the comparison Snead made. Put up 450 yards his 2nd year, 620 his 3rd year, and topped 1,000 his 4th year.

Even if Quick put up Jackson's Year 3 numbers in 2013, is that good enough to justify not looking for more help at the WR position right now? I guess it depends on if the Rams FO is willing to gamble on what they have. Thankfully Givens looked like he really progressed last year, but if they're wrong, I don't imagine the offense will be much better next year
    Maybe, but I doubt it. First off, if we address the O-line early in the draft, and/or possibly sign a solid veteran O-lineman, better protection and improved run blocking should result in a more productive offense. Even if Schotty were to leave (which I doubt), Sam will be in his second year with the same offense for the first time in his NFL career. Fisher is not about to upset the applecart on O or D with system changes. Simply put - there should be improvement on O across the board given a year's experience in Schotty's system.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think we may pass on adding a WR (which may be genious, may be a mistake), but I certainly think we add a WR or a TE. Fishers been around long enough to know a good prospect, and I believe he will go BPA (which I certainly agree with).

THE DREAM TEAM

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Well, they'll have to at some point, because I think they only have three under contract in 2013 (Pettis, Givens, and Quick).

But I get the point you're making - what if the Rams don't aggressively pursue a top free agent WR or an early round rookie prospect?

At this point, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they didn't do either. Not only is cap room an issue, but if they still have a lot of faith in Quick developing into a big weapon, they may not see the need that others do.

I expect they'll add two receivers at some point. One could be bringing back Danny. But I think they'll need five on the final roster, so they should be on the lookout, even if they're not in a position to spend a lot of money or don't feel like they need to take one early.

Still, I would hope that they haven't completely closed the door on the acquisition of a top receiver, and will at least make some phone calls like they did last year when free agency started, or consider them in the draft if they're among the best available prospects.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

With Givens development, and if Amendola is re-signed, I think the Rams will generally stand pat on WRs and hope Quick develops. Sometimes you have to take a chance on a player developing, you can't just cycle through players constantly until you find one that gives instant results. I think that's what the Rams will do here unless they fall in love with a WR in the draft and he's available when they pick. Otherwise I would expect them to stand pat, maybe adding a mid to late round WR.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I couldn't access the link, but I would say look at Atlanta's recent history of WR's since Snead was there. How long before Roddy White became a true #1? Also Julio Jones had a mediocre first year, so I think Snead is banking on Quick growing into the role more next season. Clearly he's a wold card as was said earlier in the thread.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I couldn't access the link, but I would say look at Atlanta's recent history of WR's since Snead was there. How long before Roddy White became a true #1? Also Julio Jones had a mediocre first year, so I think Snead is banking on Quick growing into the role more next season. Clearly he's a wold card as was said earlier in the thread.
    I don't know that I'd call Julio's 54 receptions for 959 yards and 8 touchdowns in his first year mediocre.
    THOLTFAN81 and bradwill like this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Knowing how Snead drafts, he likes turn weaknesses into strengths (compare CB and RB depth from 2011 and 2012)

IMO, we're aren't gonna draft a receiver (at least in the early rounds) and shore up our O-line (Boudreau is going to drool) and safety depth.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    What happens if we draft Tyler Eifert (TE) but no wide receivers - would that mollify the "experts," and thus exonerate Fish/Snead?
    I prefer Ertz, Eifert has talent and will make contributions fast but Ertz has a higher ceiling as an all-around TE whereas Eifert is more of a pass catching TE. With Kendricks already improving, I wouldn't mind bringing a TE with more upside, especially knowing that TEs are Sam's bread and butter in the passing game.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Knowing how Snead drafts, he likes turn weaknesses into strengths (compare CB and RB depth from 2011 and 2012)

IMO, we're aren't gonna draft a receiver (at least in the early rounds) and shore up our O-line (Boudreau is going to drool) and safety depth.

I prefer Ertz, Eifert has talent and will make contributions fast but Ertz has a higher ceiling as an all-around TE whereas Eifert is more of a pass catching TE. With Kendricks already improving, I wouldn't mind bringing a TE with more upside, especially knowing that TEs are Sam's bread and butter in the passing game.
    I've been hoping that the Rams draft a stud TE so we can implement a 2-TE offense for awhile now. With Kendricks and either Eiffert/Ertz, not only would it open the passing game for Sam but help out Steven Jackson in the running games. I go back and forth on which TE is better tho: from what I hear Eiffert is the better receiver but Ertz is a better blocker. Another option is Joseph Fauria from UCLA; he's a tall (6-7), athletic TE in the Jimmy Graham mold
    live4ramin likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Rams WR squad for 2013...

* Amendola
    * Gibson
    * Givens
    * Pettis
    * Quick
    * ?

Bring it!

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Rams WR squad for 2013...

* Amendola
    * Gibson
    * Givens
    * Pettis
    * Quick
    * ?

Bring it!
    I'm starting to think this will be it too. We can't afford a big time FA. Gibby probably has more value to us then he does on the open market. Gibby can't cost too much, who are we going to get that can do what he does for less.

* Amendola
    * Gibson
    * Givens
    * Pettis
    * Quick
    * Rookie

Also draft one of the top three TEs. Ertz, Eifert or Fauria.
    Add Chance Warmack and D.J. Fluker.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-16-2013 at 06:26 PM.
    Vinnie25 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast