Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Snead talks about Brian Quick

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Snead talks about Brian Quick

I think each fan has to ask themselves a basic question: "Are we happy with our current group of wide receivers, and can they alone bring us to the playoffs? If your answer is "yes", I don't want to hear you bellyaching when Bradford plays poorly about him "not having weapons". And if your answer is "no", who do we keep and who do we target in either free agency or the draft?

One thing is clear: management had better be right about Quick- especially if they decide drafting a guy in a high round isn't a priority, or they will invite a boatload of criticism. I myself have reservations about Quick- emotions spawned from the past futility of hoping the Mardy Gilyards and Keenan Burtons of the world would one day pay off. I simply didn't see enough good things from him in 2012 to show me he's the answer to all our problems in 2013. I hope I'm dead wrong.

And Amendola must be kept whatever the cost.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -01-16-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    RockinRam likes this.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I think Amendola is great, don't get me wrong, but we can't count on him being healthy for long stretches. So look at out current group as Givens, Pettis, and Quick. I really like them, but I don't think we can count on having a consistent offense in 2013 with just them. If we play a team that does well man-to-man, our offense will be hard pressed to move the ball.

We also don't need another 2nd round WR. We are currently sitting on a lot of guys who need playing time to develop. Unfortunately, we don't have much to spend in FA. That leaves us either finding a gem in the first round or not picking up a WR till later and just as filler.

To me our options are limited. Unless we can find a sure playmaker in the first round, we are simply going to have to hope Quick develops quickly.
    Rambos likes this.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I think each fan has to ask themselves a basic question: "Are we happy with our current group of wide receivers, and can they alone bring us to the playoffs? If your answer is "yes", I don't want to hear you bellyaching when Bradford plays poorly about him "not having weapons". And if your answer is "no", who do we keep and who do we target in either free agency or the draft?

And Amendola must be kept whatever the cost.
    If it was only as simple as that then I guess instant coffee would taste as good as brewed coffee. It's not black and white as you seem to feel or the Rams would have got it right a long time ago. Also, do not forget that last year we did draft a very talented WR in the 4th round.

At some point the Rams have to allow these young guys to develop. If they keep using their resources at one position the consequences is that other positions will be neglected. I am willing to give these guys the time to develop because I know it's realistic and most quality recievers do not instantly come in the league setting the world on fire unless they are a specail breed iee.. Moss, Johnson, Green. That is why I am not an advocate to drafting a WR this year in the 1st round because it will just add another warm body on the sideline. Lets sign Danny and give Quick and Givens a chance to gain some game time experience. Go Rams
    TekeRam and UK Ramfan 83 like this.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    If it was only as simple as that then I guess instant coffee would taste as good as brewed coffee. It's not black and white as you seem to feel or the Rams would have got it right a long time ago. Also, do not forget that last year we did draft a very talented WR in the 4th round.
    It's really not rocket science.

At some point the Rams have to allow these young guys to develop.
    We have been allowing young guys to develop for quite some time now...

If they keep using their resources at one position the consequences is that other positions will be neglected.
    We have NOT been using our resources for one position...If anything, we have focused mainly on our offensive and defensive lines.

I am willing to give these guys the time to develop because I know it's realistic and most quality recievers do not instantly come in the league setting the world on fire unless they are a specail breed iee.. Moss, Johnson, Green.
    That is a terrible mentality to have.

That is why I am not an advocate to drafting a WR this year in the 1st round because it will just add another warm body on the sideline.
    Why would you assume we draft a 1st round WR and then sit him out? He would be playing.

Lets sign Danny and give Quick and Givens a chance to gain some game time experience. Go Rams
    That is basically the same WR corps we had last year. You're banking on Givens and Quick improving enough to warrant not adding a big-time WR. Risky move.

Basically, we have to add a big-time WR/TE/playmaker for Bradford. I've heard countless "it's not Bradford, it's his lack of weapons" and then those same people want to essentially keep the same WRs we had the previous year. Makes no sense.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If the Rams go in to 2013 with the same receivers, it's a bit of a misnomer to say that they are the "same" receivers.

A full off-season with Bradford and the playbook should make the 2013 Givens and 2013 Quick very different than the 2012 versions. You can probably throw Pettis into this category as well. Nearly half of his production (catches, yards, and TDs) came in the last quarter of the season, so he seems to be climbing up the learning curve as well. As well, a healthy 2013 Amendola will be quite different than the banged up 2012 Amendola who was full-go for just 9 games and still led the team in receptions.

I know it's not sexy to consider a 2013 roster without new names in the WR corp, but I don't think we can call them the "same".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    If the Rams go in to 2013 with the same receivers, it's a bit of a misnomer to say that they are the "same" receivers.

I know it's not sexy to consider a 2013 roster without new names in the WR corp, but I don't think we can call them the "same".
    Name-wise, they are the same.

Production-wise? Talent-wise? Improvement-wise?

They may very well regress. There is no unwritten rule that a receiver gets better after a year with the playbook. They may get better...or they may not. Players develop differently and some may never fulfill their potential.

Amendola is also quite the injury-prone machine. I wouldn't bank on him being "completely healthy" for all of 2013.

We need more talented additions to this talent-lacking WR corps.
    THOLTFAN81 and UK Ramfan 83 like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

RockinRam's
    We have been allowing young guys to develop for quite some time now...
    We have? Who?

Going back too 2005, which one of these guys did we allow to develop? Most would say it takes three years to play WR yet I don't see much patience with these guys on this list? Do you?

Donnie Avery?
    Mardy Gilyard?
    Greg Salas?
    Brooks Foster?
    Keenan Burton?
    Derek Stanley?
    Marques Hagans?
    Dante Ridgeway?

Pettis going on year three
    Quick year two
    Given year two

I'm not opposed to adding more talent or drafting another rookie. But to say we have been patience and have worked hard and developed our drafted players, I just don't see it. We have turned over our coaching staff three times since we had Holt and Bruce. In the process we have tossed out draft picks by the proceeding staff too many times. Those day are over, time to believe that this regime and the staff can draft a guy and develop him.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Production-wise? Talent-wise? Improvement-wise?
    Talent-wise? That doesn't change. They're either talented or not.

But I've never heard of a receiver getting additional time with their playbook and QB.....and regressing from a production or improvement standpoint.
    Amendola is also quite the injury-prone machine.
    Injury-prone machine? He had a foot injury that has since healed. His injury risk is no greater than any other receiver at this point.
    I wouldn't bank on him being "completely healthy" for all of 2013.
    No player on any roster should be counted on as being "completely healthy" for an entire season.

I'm not against finding additional help in the WR corp. My point is simply that with all the youth on this roster, the WR corp may not change a single name, but they most likely will be improved. To what degree? Who knows.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Even though I believe the Rams definitely could use another impact WR (even if we resign Amendola), there's really no WR that I can see using one of our first rounders on. From what I hear, this year is a relatively weak WR class (when it comes to top-notch prospects). I'd much rather address the OL and Safety positions with our first two picks, then maybe get the best available TE or RT with our second round pick. Remember, we still have two picks in the first round in 2014, and there's way better talent coming out then.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Link doesn't work. Can you repost? Interested in listening to this

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We have? Who?

Going back too 2005, which one of these guys did we allow to develop? Most would say it takes three years to play WR yet I don't see much patience with these guys on this list? Do you?
    Three years is subjective. There are more than a fair share of WRs that perform on a solid level their rookie year and their 2nd year.

Donnie Avery? '08-'10
    Mardy Gilyard? '10 (Couldn't even learn the playbook...)
    Greg Salas? '11 (Replaced by the drafting of Quick and Givens who are arguable more "talented")
    Brooks Foster? '09-'10 (I hope you aren't serious about not drafting someone because we have a 5th rounder who needs to develop)
    Keenan Burton? '08-'10 (Now he's on the Virginia Destroyers....what?)
    Derek Stanley?
    Marques Hagans?
    Dante Ridgeway?

The last three names don't even matter because they suck.

Quick year two
    Given year two

I'm not opposed to adding more talent or drafting another rookie. But to say we have been patience and have worked hard and developed our drafted players, I just don't see it.[/QUOTE]
    Look harder. Either there was talent to develop, or there wasn't. In our case, there was not.

We have turned over our coaching staff three times since we had Holt and Bruce. In the process we have tossed out draft picks by the proceeding staff too many times. Those day are over, time to believe that this regime and the staff can draft a guy and develop him.
    Those draft picks were tossed because those players sucked.

supachump is offline Registered User

If we stand pat with the receivers we currently have, I'll be pretty disappointed.

At the same time, I don't want them to draft any receivers high in the draft. We've got too many other holes. Any receivers taken in later rounds are just going to be more projects that need development time. We already have that.

They should try their damndest, if salary cap allows, to pick up a legit FA receiver. I know that is a long shot, but I see it as more likely than picking up a receiver in the draft that doesn't need years to develop.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Three years is subjective. There are more than a fair share of WRs that perform on a solid level their rookie year and their 2nd year.

Donnie Avery? '08-'10
    Mardy Gilyard? '10 (Couldn't even learn the playbook...)
    Greg Salas? '11 (Replaced by the drafting of Quick and Givens who are arguable more "talented")
    Brooks Foster? '09-'10 (I hope you aren't serious about not drafting someone because we have a 5th rounder who needs to develop)
    Keenan Burton? '08-'10 (Now he's on the Virginia Destroyers....what?)
    Derek Stanley?
    Marques Hagans?
    Dante Ridgeway?

The last three names don't even matter because they suck.

Quick year two
    Given year two

I'm not opposed to adding more talent or drafting another rookie. But to say we have been patience and have worked hard and developed our drafted players, I just don't see it.
    Look harder. Either there was talent to develop, or there wasn't. In our case, there was not.

Those draft picks were tossed because those players sucked.
    You statement is "We have been allowing young guys to develop for quite some time now..." That's not the case, I think there is only one WR and we did not draft him that your statement would be accurate and that Giibby.

If you think it should take less then three year fine... but Quick has played one year.

Your right most of the guys should not have been drafted but that has nothing to do with working with our draft picks and developing them to be productive players.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-18-2013 at 01:27 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    Link doesn't work. Can you repost? Interested in listening to this
    http://www.rams-news.com/snead-on-br...jackson-video/

Try this .
    RuffRams likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    You statement is "We have been allowing young guys to develop for quite some time now..." That's not the case, I think there is only one WR and we did not draft him that your statement would be accurate and that Giibby.
    It doesn't matter if we "drafted" him or not...the argument is about letting young WRs develop. We have given him plenty of time to develop and I wouldn't consider him even a #3 receiver.

If you think it should take less then three year fine... but Quick has played one year.
    Yes...he's been on the team for 1 year. We have no insane ties to him. If we can draft a WR who can come in and play better than Quick, I am all for it. We have to prepare for the team and Bradford's future...and that means bringing in more playmakers. No one in the history of football has ever complained about bringing in more talent to the WR position.

Your right most of the guys should not have been drafted but that has nothing to do with working with our draft picks and developing them to be productive players.
    So I guess we can expect the same "Bradford doesn't sux...he just has no weapons" comments next year?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast