HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

snippet of coaching news from Bernie

* Houston Chronicle says Bates won't be DC for Texans. What is this guy Bates thinking of? what kind of game is he playing?

* Haslett more prominent in Rams' DC thoughts.... as is Donnie Henderson.

* Olson is OC.

* Ellard staying...looks like Benton will stay...maybe Gil Byrd....don't rule out special teams coach Bob Ligashesky.

* Kollar interviews coming in New O and Tampa Bay.

* Jim Thomas hears Jim McNally could emerge as O-line coach.

--B

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: snippet of coaching news from Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie
    Haslett more prominent in Rams' DC thoughts
    I'm not sure I fully understand this call. Haslett had moderate success as an asst. in NO during the '95 and '96 seasons (improving the defense from 25th to 23rd to 13th). He then became Cowher's DC and made a good showing in three years (5th, 10th, 10th). However, the Steelers had 4 straight years of top-3 defense before Haslett, and his two 10th place finishes were the worst for a Steelers team since Cowher's first year in '92.

Maybe Haslett will be fine after his debacle in New Orleans, but I'm not overly excited....at this point. By the way, a HC's record in New Orleans should be taken with a grain of salt. In the history of the Saints, Jim Mora is the ONLY coach with a winning record.......and that includes HOF'ers like Ditka and Stram and coaches that have won everywhere else, like Wade Phillips, Bum Phillips, and Dick Nolan.

As a sidenote, did you guys know in the 39 years of the Saints existence, they've only had 7 winning seasons. In 5 of those winning seasons, Bobby Hebert was the QB.

Think about that one, folks. How sad is a franchise whose winningest QB (far and away) is Bobby Hebert?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: snippet of coaching news from Bernie

I don't like Haslett, but he's probably as qualified as anyone.

I'd list my preferences as:

1. Jim Bates
    2A. Donnie Henderson
    2B. Jerry Gray
    3. Jim Haslett