Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So....??

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: So....??

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    I've never been a huge Jim Haslett fan. As you mentioned, the 1st half of games seemed to go well defensively, but the Rams had to be one of the worst teams in the league at half-time adjustments (on both sides of the ball).

Also, it seemed that every time we got a decent lead Haslett got off his gameplan and stopped applying pressure. Then the other QB just picked up apart as he had all day to find a receiver.

I guess he hasn't done that poorly, I'm not sure what we could have expected considering New Orleans wasn't exactly a defensive powerhouse during his time there anyway.
    I couldn't agree with you more. If I didn't know any better, I would think you were me using another sign on. I wouldn't have shed a tear if Haslett left this year and I was actually getting excited when they were interviewing Greg Williams because I thought it was for the DC spot. I don't care what anyone here says, the bad offense can not explain away the performance of this defense- especially in the second half. I wish Haslett would find an indentity for this defense- it's almost like he wants to be conservative and soft, but feels compelled to blitz occasionally.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You're not real big on facts, are you? SLOP was created in November 2006 (during the second half of 2006).

If you want to believe that 2006 was a great year for the offense, go right ahead and believe that. If you want to ignore that Linehan went from calling the plays, to giving that role to Olson, to taking it back, to hiring Saunders to take on that role, be my guest.

SLOP isn't going away until Linehan proves he can handle the job (or is fired). That has not happened yet.
    The facts are pretty clear as far as the Rams offensive productivity in 2006. If you want to give credit to the previous regime, fine, but it was Linehan who was in charge.

As far as SLOP, I have no doubt it's not going away, but you did indeed put it to bed before the season ended, didn't you? Something must have been going right for that to happen.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

AV says it took two years to realize that things were bad on offense. I disagree. Regardless who was calling the plays in 2006, Olson or Linehan, the results proved that there was no need for another OC for 2007. It seemed that the formula was working as the team hit its stride offensively in the last half. Weak teams or not, the Rams played better. 2006 was an improvement offensively over 2005. We make excuses for MM in 2005 because he was sick and wouldn't hand over the game calling, but Linehan gets trashed when he does it and it works in 2006. Doesn't make sense to me. Say what you want, but MM was and is an offensive coordinator who passes first and passes second and passes third. The running back is inconsequnetial in his scheme other than to block or catch a pass. IMO if Martz was still here, SJ would be a malcontent and benched by now.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    As far as SLOP, I have no doubt it's not going away, but you did indeed put it to bed before the season ended, didn't you?
    No, I didn't.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    The facts are pretty clear as far as the Rams offensive productivity in 2006. If you want to give credit to the previous regime, fine, but it was Linehan who was in charge.

As far as SLOP, I have no doubt it's not going away, but you did indeed put it to bed before the season ended, didn't you? Something must have been going right for that to happen.
    The offense was terrible when Linehan was calling the plays in the beginning of the year last season- that's why Linehan gave them up to Olson in the first place. Unfortunately, Olson went into a conservative shell this year too.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

No, I didn't.
    No you didn't. I stand corrected. You "silenced" SLOP after the Minnesota win.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    SLOP is pleased.

This team easily could have folded after a string of very bad losses marked by a consistent failure to do some very basic things (block, stop the run, cover kicks). But, the team has kept fighting and won two in a row to keep their heads above water in the playoff chase.

Right now, the Rams stand at 7-8. They have exceeded their win total from last year. One more win and the team reaches .500 and, with some luck, could sneak into the postseason.

One more game of effort and one more win. That's all SLOP needs to see. The outcome of the playoff chase is not important. If the Rams can go to Minnesota and win a game they must win, that will be enough for SLOP to give Scott Linehan and his staff a vote of confidence going into the offseason and looking forward to 2007.

SLOP, for all its vocal critics, was not started to divide Rams fans. Rather, it was a voice of frustration. The team is doing its part now, and SLOP can be silenced.

All it will take is one more win.

chiguy is offline Registered User

You quoted me, but I didn't post that.
    I was sloppy with the HTML tags. Sorry 'bout that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-01-2008, 09:29 PM