RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

So, it's starting to become real ....

And that means no more excuses. You know, we've been one of the league's whipping boys for a couple years know. It's commonplace to crack jokes about the Rams, we have been one of the league's worst. And man, we're just now a decade removed from our glorious Super Bowl run ...

So look at us now? The accountants and lawyers have been run out of dodge. We've got a real football man coaching this team, a real deal coaching staff, no more washed up defensive coordinators, or offensive coordinators trying to reinvent the GSOT. We've got solid football men running the show. While I don't think we'll be high octane and balls to wall, I do think these guys will put a smash mouth no nonsense product on the field, but still find a little time to be creative and fun ...

So what does this all mean? Well, we are not going to be the laughing stock anymore. As somebody mentioned, eventually, somebody is going to start noticing us and then the Rams will matter again. And what will that mean? It will mean losing will really hurt. Not hurt like it did the past two years, because we were just plain bad. It will hurt because there are real expectations, because we will be expected to matter, and we will be expected to be a factor ...

These guys are making all the right moves. Jason Brown was our splash, and I like that, but it's the little pieces that get added that will really count. It will be getting a Setterstrom back on the field, growing an Adeyanju, resigning a Jason Craft to do dirty work, rebuilding Tye Hill, that will make us contenders. Can they accomplish all this in a short period of time? We'll see ...

But boy, what a transformation. Just a year ago, we were one of the oldest teams in the league, now we are one of the youngest. There is a new dynamic here. In recent years past, I've been nervous going into the off season and I've always tried to find someway to be positive, which I have succeeded at. I don't have to find a reason this year, because they've already given us quite a few ...

I must say, the nervousness is REALLY here now, but not because I am afraid to lose. Believe it or not, I'm actually a little afraid of winning at this point ...

Now figure that one out ...

Irishrover40 is offline Registered User

Re: So, it's starting to become real ....

It will begin to become real when: we actually play smash mouth football with the winers and seabirds. There ARE some bues to be paid fron past years. When we actually start kicking tail and taking names, then you can say, "Man its starting to become real!!!!!!!!!!!" Enough of being a Gateway doormat already!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

Nice commentary / post Infinity. I agree with your feeling(s) -- this is a year of high apprehension and expectation. New people in the F.O., new HC and staff. Players feeling the excitement as well.

We may not all of a sudden win a 2nd SB but, yes: it's starting to become real.

GO RAMS!

PS: Not to worry IrishO'40. The Rampage is on it's way against our enemies.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Here, here!

Loved the part about how losing hurts. After we lose I want to feel the way I did after losing to the Patriots and then the Panthers. I have hated losing, but unfortunately no matter how much I lie to myself, I have come to expect it and it doesn't hurt as much as it use to. I want that winning feeing back, and I think it is on its way. Don't let us down Spags!!!

Of course that being said we are still a bad team and it will take some pretty dang good coaching to pick us up off the bottom, so let me rephrase that: Surprise all the doubters this year Spags!!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Loved the part about how losing hurts.
    Agreed. What a great observation and something I really hadn't thought about, until now. Thanks RamsInfiniti.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I must say, the nervousness is REALLY here now, but not because I am afraid to lose. Believe it or not, I'm actually a little afraid of winning at this point ...

Now figure that one out ...
    For me it's all about expectations and what I will accept as a fan for the upcoming season. My mind set right now after all the changes that have been made is that we are in the rebuilding mode. I have to keep that in the front of my mind. Should we come out of the blocks with a win or two it will be tough to hang onto that mind set. Early wins bring an "automatic" change in expectation. That's when the losses really hurt again.

I'm all for a quick turnaround, I think that's pretty obvious for everyone that is a RAMS fan. I just don't want to set myself up for the pain if it doesn't happen.

GO RAMS!

It's a really strange feeling I guess ...

Seemingly, I've gotten used to losing the past two years, as many of you have, I am sure. If you look at last year, after the two victories over Washington and Dallas, we instantly starting talking playoffs and winning the division. Looking back, that was extremely unrealistic ...

At this point, I am starting to develop some "expectations" so to say. These guys are running this organization like a real football operation at this point. Hence, it's time to really treat it as such. It's hard to let go of the past few years and say let's start at ground zero, but that is practically what we are doing. With that comes alot of uncertainty, but it goes along with the change in culture ...

Once you lose, time and time again, you expect that you are going to lose. No matter how optimistic you are, you are always thinking in the back of your mind, how are we going to pull this one off? It hurts to lose. But what happens when you start winning? Well, at this point, you expect to win. You start building confidence, and you feel you can beat everyone. I felt that way from 1999-2001. I thought we were going to win every game, no matter who it was against or where we played it ...

I guess the question is, which is harder? Expecting to lose and continually losing, or expecting to win and losing. There is a trade off with both ....

The philosopher in me says is it tougher TO LOSE or NOT TO WIN?
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -04-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.

A-Web is offline Registered User

I think your question would have been worded, "Is it tougher to lose or not to win."

The way it is said it kind of sounds like "Is it tougher to win or lose?", and it's obvious that losing hurts more.

Anyways yes, I can see where our minds have flatlined.

Basically the Rams have groomed us into seasoned losers. We see every Sunday as a chance to watch our Rams, but at the same time, to watch our Rams lose.

I shouldn't feel surprised when the Rams get a victory. It should make me feel good, but at the same time, I should not feel that it wasn't going to happen. I should feel that my football team is a good team, and that winning just proves that, and not that our win means we got lucky, and the other team was missing their Star Quarterback or other player.

Hopefully after this season kicks off, we are all sitting down in front of our Televisions, or buying game tickets, and sitting down not hoping, but knowing that we are going to walk off the field with a win. That is the feeling I envy others being able to experience, and I want it back.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

your point about winning/losing brings to mind a particular set of Saturday Night sketches... appropriately called: 'lowered expectations'

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I'll wait till after the draft to see what these guys are really about. They have given us hints, but the draft really determines the teams future

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    I'll wait till after the draft to see what these guys are really about. They have given us hints, but the draft really determines the teams future
    I don't understand this statement. If they draft players you don't like you are not going to have trust in them? You really have to wait two years after the draft, even more, to judge the results ...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I don't understand this statement. If they draft players you don't like you are not going to have trust in them? You really have to wait two years after the draft, even more, to judge the results ...
    Regardless of who they draft I'll have faith in their decision making, because they obviously know more than I do.

I'm talking more about position than player. For instance if the rams go OT, DT, DE with their first three picks I think that makes a huge statement for where we are going in the future.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

We were so lost last year it seems hopeless. Players seldom quit. Last year the St. Louis Rams quit and it is disgraceful. It was a train wreck.

We hyped ourselves up when SL had his little run and the trap was set. I hope I don't fall for it this time. We still have a Brutus or two left on the roster and they could do unto others as well.

On a positive note, we have to be past the bottom of this; this isn't hell. If we can get those core players in place to build around each year we too can plug in the peripherals and win championships. Sounds simple.

A thought provoking post RI
    With all the gravitas of Jackie Treehorn.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by live4ramin View Post
    We still have a Brutus or two left on the roster and they could do unto others as well.
    I don't know any more than the next guy how good we'll be this year, but I'd be willing to bet there won't be any Brutus's on our opening day roster. This is one area where I feel Spags will not compromise ..