Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Re: So let's hear your gameplan for the Cowboys

Defensively we will contain for 21/2 quarters before our D gets burn for huge gains.
    We need Frerotte to start so we attack the middle and the sides.
    Plus run Leonard on key 3rd down for short gains.
    Sounds to scripted?

THE FIELD GOAL

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think firing the offensive co-ordinator would just about guarantee us a win

On a more serious note, we need to establish our offense. To do so, spread it out. If worst comes to worst, blindfold Olson, spin him htree times and get him to point to a play in the playbook. It has to be more creative than what we're getting now.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

When your team is a 2-touchdown dog, and you're 0-3, you need to approach this game with the attitude that your have nothing to lose and go in with both guns blazin'.

If we continue to play it close to the vest, we'll get creamed. Hell, we might get creamed anyway, so we might as well go down fightin'.

Offensively, the key guy could very well be Leonard. I feel that the Cowboys will be so intent on getting to Bulger, with little regard for our "backup", that Leonard might have some really descent areas to run, and pass-catch.

But go after them early with some deep passes. Make them guess. Make them reconsider going after Bulger. USE the tight ends!!!!! If you're going to throw short passes, let the bigger guys handle the ball. But throw early and often and make them back off. If they continue to come at Bulger, we'll have some open shots.

On defense, I'm not sure that I'd blitz too much, but I'd certainly use it more than we have. But I'd try to hit Romo on every play.

It's a long-shot to win this game, so you have to somehow find a way to put them on their heals early. Take the crowd out of it, and remind them that we've still got some bullets left in the gun. You can only do that by attacking. Playing a conservative, short pass, controlled offense will not get it done. Throw the ball deep Marc. Throw the ball deep.

...and don't forget to duck.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

1) Hook Bulger up to a lie detector. Ask him if he's at 100%. If not, sit him. If he is, check and see if Incognito is playing. If he's not, sit Bulger anyway.

2) Use Leonard primarily as an extra blocker; attack with rotating cast of Ike, Torry, and Hagans deep and McMichael and Bennett shallow.

3) In Red Zone, use Bennett as a decoy, but do not throw to him in the endzone.

4) On defense, play cover 2, easy on the blitzing.

5) Hagans returns kicks

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

Cool Re: So let's hear your gameplan for the Cowboys

Offense -

Throw when they expect run, run when they expect pass. Do a lot of rollout with Bulger to give him extra time. Deep pass to neutralize Roy Williams. Play action pass, fumblerooskie, statue of liberty play. Rotate in Bulger and Gus in every other series. 4 TE, no WR sets. Line Barron on the outside as a TE and throw the ball to him. ( I know he can catch, see the game a few years ago where the ball was going to Marshall Faulk and he picks it off and starts running with it.)
    Basically, be very unpredictable where the Cowboys are just basically scratching their head.

Defense -

Fake a lot of blitzes, put Carriker into coverage on a few plays; go with a 6 DB formation; also mix some 5 LB formation sometimes. Make Trevor Johnson fall back into coverage a few times. Take some late hit shots on Romo. It will be a penalty but it will cause him to have happy feet.

Oh one other thing, LB lay a "Chillar" on any WR that think of trying a crossing pattern.
    Last edited by onslaught11; -09-27-2007 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Just because I forgot something
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

We just have to stop being so darned predictable on offense and start looking down field for bigger chain moving plays. We also suck in the red zone and maybe we need to try and punch it in for 6 before we get there. No more inching our way in there. On D, increase blitz packages. Take Romo off his timing.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

1. Kidnap Carrie Underwood. Romo would be worthless.

2. Erase the Cowboys 50-uard line star, and replace it with a Pagan star. They'd be cursed.

3. Replace all the Cowboys jock itch spray with Jimmy Johnson's hairspray! They won't be able to run.

4. Oh yea, protect Bulger and throw the deep pass!

5. Replace the Cowboy's cheerleaders with drag queens.

6. Oh yea, force the run up the middle.

:-)

TheHoss is offline Registered User

Hi folks, a Cowboy fan here. First, here is to a competitive and injury free game this weekend.

I just wanted to give you guys a little more info on what Dallas does concerning a possible Rams G.P.

DALLAS DEFENSE:

I really think it will be hard for the Rams to get a good running game going this week. The Dallas D-line (Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Jay Ratliff) is large and does a good job up penetrating into gaps to bottle up run plays, even without Jason Ferguson. Dallas uses has a rotation that includes Remi Ayodele, Stephen Bowen, and Jason Hatcher. None of thses guys are houshold names, but play hard and keep the starters fresh.

The linebacking core is consists of DeMarcus Ware, Akin Ayodele, Bradie James, & rookie Anthony Spencer. These guys have size and speed. All four are solid against the rush and have the ability to get sidleine to sideline to string out runs and screens. Ware & Spencer are both solid pressure players coming on blitzes and will generate most of the Dallas pass rush. The key for Bulger will be getting the ball out quickly.

In the secondary, Dallas is still a bit banged up. Terence Newman played against Chicago, but is not yet 100%. Jacques Reeves has played well in his absence, nut his inexperience can hurt him. This is the guy the Rams would need to attack. Anthony Henry leads the NFL with four picks, and is playing healthy and confident for the first time in a year and a half. Our safetys are not the best cover guys, but both can make plays. Ken Hamlin plays most of the deep stuff, allowing Roy Williams to come up close to the line and sort of serve as 5th linebacker. The best way to attack Williams in this role is to get a wide out between him and the corner, and use Roy's lack of open field speed against him. Be careful though, as Roy will come up with turnovers as well (2 picks and fumble thus far on the season).

I think the best chance for the Rams is to keep attacking the intermediate levels of the field. Everyone talks about beating Dallas deep, but I really think this is our weakest area, between the linebackers and safetys. That said, St. Louis will need to have balance, because if they fall behind, the Dallas D will start being ultra aggressive and going for kill shots. They have forced NINE turnovers in the last two games.

COWBOYS OFFENSE:

The Cowboys bread and butter is the pass. O/C Jason garret is very aggressive and this leads to big plays. They will move T.O. around in attempt to get mismatches and cause corners to get caught up in traffic. Without Terry Glenn, they do not have any true speed receivers, but Patrick Crayton & Sam Hurd are very adept at finding openings and both have great hands (although Crayton is fighting a broken finger.). Jason Witten is one of the premier tight ends in the game and they will use him on patterns down field. Once he has the ball in his hands, he is tough to bring down. Also expect to see a lot of two tight end sets with Dallas rotating in Anthony Fasano and Tony Curtis.

The run game is a dual back attack. Julius Jones has big play ability, and is a solid receiver out of the back field, but Marion Barber has become the focal point of the rush attack. He is a bruiser that takes on multiple tacklers before going down. He is also an outstanding pass protector and a big weapon on short yardage and goal line.

The offensive line is big and tough, and has worn down opponents all season. They are anchored by Pro Bowlers Andre Gurode and Flozell Adams, and Bigg Davis has been better than advertised since moving to guard.

That brings us to Tony Romo. Romo has shown patience in the pocket and has had few mistakes. Of his two picks, one was off a deflection, and he has not fumbled this season. His biggest attribute is awareness in the pocket. Time and time again this season, he has extended plays with his feet, and always looks down field when scrambling around. Just when teams think they have had him sacked, he flips the ball out for a gain.

For the Rams to have success I think they will need to limit the big play, and be prepared for a very physical game. They must create turnovers, which is tough to do against Dallas. They must also play hard for four quarters, because, as mentioned, Dallas has worn teams down through each game.

Hope some of this info helps you guys.

My score prediction:

I think the Rams will come to town and put up a fight, but Dallas is healthier and has to many weapons.

Cowboys 34
    Rams 20

Later
    The Hoss

No.1 Cowboy fan is offline Registered User

We Cowboy fans with at least half a brain are not expecting an easy win and are worried about this game. As you probably know, our biggest weakness is our pass defense, and you guys seem to be just the team to exploit that weakness. I still haven't learned a lot about Wade Phillip's defense, but he might be scheming for interceptions at the expense of giving up passing yardage. Unlike the Bears and the Dolphins, you guys have a real QB who probably will not fall into his traps. Expect to be able to move the ball on us, in fact, this game may very well turn into a shootout. I will not be surprised at all if you guys have a lead at the half. We have a huge, vicious offensive line that wears down opponents, causing us to score almost all of our points in the second half. Our offense has been very average at the start of games this year. Your best bet is to come out and punch us in the mouth early, and focus on building a big lead in the first half that we cannot recover from once your defense starts to wear down. Let's all hope for an exciting and injury-free game Sunday.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TheHoss View Post
    Hi folks, a Cowboy fan here. First, here is to a competitive and injury free game this weekend.

I just wanted to give you guys a little more info on what Dallas does concerning a possible Rams G.P.

DALLAS DEFENSE:

I really think it will be hard for the Rams to get a good running game going this week. The Dallas D-line (Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Jay Ratliff) is large and does a good job up penetrating into gaps to bottle up run plays, even without Jason Ferguson. Dallas uses has a rotation that includes Remi Ayodele, Stephen Bowen, and Jason Hatcher. None of thses guys are houshold names, but play hard and keep the starters fresh.

The linebacking core is consists of DeMarcus Ware, Akin Ayodele, Bradie James, & rookie Anthony Spencer. These guys have size and speed. All four are solid against the rush and have the ability to get sidleine to sideline to string out runs and screens. Ware & Spencer are both solid pressure players coming on blitzes and will generate most of the Dallas pass rush. The key for Bulger will be getting the ball out quickly.

In the secondary, Dallas is still a bit banged up. Terence Newman played against Chicago, but is not yet 100%. Jacques Reeves has played well in his absence, nut his inexperience can hurt him. This is the guy the Rams would need to attack. Anthony Henry leads the NFL with four picks, and is playing healthy and confident for the first time in a year and a half. Our safetys are not the best cover guys, but both can make plays. Ken Hamlin plays most of the deep stuff, allowing Roy Williams to come up close to the line and sort of serve as 5th linebacker. The best way to attack Williams in this role is to get a wide out between him and the corner, and use Roy's lack of open field speed against him. Be careful though, as Roy will come up with turnovers as well (2 picks and fumble thus far on the season).

I think the best chance for the Rams is to keep attacking the intermediate levels of the field. Everyone talks about beating Dallas deep, but I really think this is our weakest area, between the linebackers and safetys. That said, St. Louis will need to have balance, because if they fall behind, the Dallas D will start being ultra aggressive and going for kill shots. They have forced NINE turnovers in the last two games.

COWBOYS OFFENSE:

The Cowboys bread and butter is the pass. O/C Jason garret is very aggressive and this leads to big plays. They will move T.O. around in attempt to get mismatches and cause corners to get caught up in traffic. Without Terry Glenn, they do not have any true speed receivers, but Patrick Crayton & Sam Hurd are very adept at finding openings and both have great hands (although Crayton is fighting a broken finger.). Jason Witten is one of the premier tight ends in the game and they will use him on patterns down field. Once he has the ball in his hands, he is tough to bring down. Also expect to see a lot of two tight end sets with Dallas rotating in Anthony Fasano and Tony Curtis.

The run game is a dual back attack. Julius Jones has big play ability, and is a solid receiver out of the back field, but Marion Barber has become the focal point of the rush attack. He is a bruiser that takes on multiple tacklers before going down. He is also an outstanding pass protector and a big weapon on short yardage and goal line.

The offensive line is big and tough, and has worn down opponents all season. They are anchored by Pro Bowlers Andre Gurode and Flozell Adams, and Bigg Davis has been better than advertised since moving to guard.

That brings us to Tony Romo. Romo has shown patience in the pocket and has had few mistakes. Of his two picks, one was off a deflection, and he has not fumbled this season. His biggest attribute is awareness in the pocket. Time and time again this season, he has extended plays with his feet, and always looks down field when scrambling around. Just when teams think they have had him sacked, he flips the ball out for a gain.

For the Rams to have success I think they will need to limit the big play, and be prepared for a very physical game. They must create turnovers, which is tough to do against Dallas. They must also play hard for four quarters, because, as mentioned, Dallas has worn teams down through each game.

Hope some of this info helps you guys.

My score prediction:

I think the Rams will come to town and put up a fight, but Dallas is healthier and has to many weapons.

Cowboys 34
    Rams 20

Later
    The Hoss
    At least you think we will score 20 points, that will be an improvment all its own. Nice post and I agree the Rams have to attack through the air and be aggressive. Screens and hitches behind the line of scrimmage will do us no good. PLEASE NO MORE INJURIES!
    Just Fix It

Dcowboys1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Here's the plan.

1. Get a 3 point lead.

2. Commit penalties on every play until the clock runs out.

3. With 0:00 on the clock, stop the Cowboys from scoring on the final play of the half.

4. Repeat in second half.
    hahahahahahaha

thats hilarious!!

Like something from Madden lol

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

I think we should start off with a 4 receivers set and have one of the receivers be McMichael. Out of this formation go with the no huddle, trying to catch the Cowboys off guard. If its successful and we score a TD, then we keep on using for a little while. Once we are able to score a couple of TD's, we can go back to the ball control offense that Linehan and Olson like so much. Of course, Bulger might not make it past the first series and we would have to change our game plan for Ferotte since Bennet and Hagans would be next in line to play QB is Ferotte got hurt.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

1) On defense, we have to keep T.O. doubled as much as possible. I'm thinking we try to jam him at the line while rolling a safety over the top in case he gets separation on the corner, which he undoubtedly will at times. Our normal starters are probably too small to get an effective jam on him, but the more physical Bartell might be strong enough to do it effectively.

2) The other main objective on defense is going to be keeping containment on Romo. Ideally, we keep a linebacker home in a spy position. If we do, that limits our ability to put blitz pressure on him, but considering how Jeff Garcia and Alex Smith were able to escape on us, I think it'd be worthwhile. Besides, when we have a spy in the middle of the field, it'll make Romo have to put more air on a throw to the middle of the field in order to clear the defender. This will give our fast linebackers more time to close in on the target while the ball is in the air. We can still blitz some of the time, but not as frequently as usual. Infrequent blitzing will hopefully make the blitzes more difficult to anticipate.

3) The obvious thing on offense is to aim for a reasonable balance. The good news is that their pass defense has given up a lot of yards, and they've allowed 10 pass plays of 20+ yards. The bad news is they lead the league in interceptions, and the combined QB rating of opposing quarterbacks is 66.9. We're going to want to try some deep patterns but not try to force the ball into really tight coverage. With Terrence Newman out, we should be able to exploit his backup. I also like our odds against their safeties in coverage.

4) We can test the middle when we run the ball since we've got Incognito back and they're starting a 298 lb. former tight end at nose guard. We ought to be able to push him off the ball. I also think we should run right at DeMarcus Ware some to try to wear him down. Maybe we call a play or two to his side to make sure he gets knocked around by linemen and/or Leonard, then if we can catch him out of breath see how well he can muster up a pass rush when we throw.

Honestly, if our offense could play like it did at the end of last season and the defense can just keep us in the game, it is winnable. Not an easy game by any means, but winnable.

TheHoss is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    1) On defense, we have to keep T.O. doubled as much as possible. I'm thinking we try to jam him at the line while rolling a safety over the top in case he gets separation on the corner, which he undoubtedly will at times. Our normal starters are probably too small to get an effective jam on him, but the more physical Bartell might be strong enough to do it effectively.

2) The other main objective on defense is going to be keeping containment on Romo. Ideally, we keep a linebacker home in a spy position. If we do, that limits our ability to put blitz pressure on him, but considering how Jeff Garcia and Alex Smith were able to escape on us, I think it'd be worthwhile. Besides, when we have a spy in the middle of the field, it'll make Romo have to put more air on a throw to the middle of the field in order to clear the defender. This will give our fast linebackers more time to close in on the target while the ball is in the air. We can still blitz some of the time, but not as frequently as usual. Infrequent blitzing will hopefully make the blitzes more difficult to anticipate.

3) The obvious thing on offense is to aim for a reasonable balance. The good news is that their pass defense has given up a lot of yards, and they've allowed 10 pass plays of 20+ yards. The bad news is they lead the league in interceptions, and the combined QB rating of opposing quarterbacks is 66.9. We're going to want to try some deep patterns but not try to force the ball into really tight coverage. With Terrence Newman out, we should be able to exploit his backup. I also like our odds against their safeties in coverage.

4) We can test the middle when we run the ball since we've got Incognito back and they're starting a 298 lb. former tight end at nose guard. We ought to be able to push him off the ball. I also think we should run right at DeMarcus Ware some to try to wear him down. Maybe we call a play or two to his side to make sure he gets knocked around by linemen and/or Leonard, then if we can catch him out of breath see how well he can muster up a pass rush when we throw.

Honestly, if our offense could play like it did at the end of last season and the defense can just keep us in the game, it is winnable. Not an easy game by any means, but winnable.
    Good points, just two things I want to mention:

First Newman will play, just not everydown.

Second, Jay Ratliff, our nose has held up very well and has yet to be pushed around...not even by Olin Kruetz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12