Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    general counsel Guest

So much for another developmental QB

According to this mornings post dispatch, the rams have made an offer to jamie martin. If martin signs, it would seem to preclude the drafting of a qb, unless we intended to stash someone on IR all year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: So much for another developmental QB

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    According to this mornings post dispatch, the rams have made an offer to jamie martin. If martin signs, it would seem to preclude the drafting of a qb, unless we intended to stash someone on IR all year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Best case scenario: Martin takes a one-year vet. min. contract, and the Rams have their 3rd string safety net signed in April, instead of November.

Worst case scenario: Smoker has fallen out of Martz' graces and Martin is the '05 Chandler.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel Guest

I think it boils down to this. Martz does not know whether smoker will be ready if he needs him. At the minimum, he wouldnt have any real idea until after game action in preseason at which point it would be much too late to find a vet. I dont think that there is any reason to conclude that smoker has lost favor with martz, only that martz is taking the conservative route here.

I think that there is a huge difference between martin and chandler. While martin does not have chandlers arm or starting experience (ie far less physical tools) he has one GIANT advantage and that is that he knows the offense.

Given the complexity of our system, the chandler experiment shows us once and for all how difficult it is for someone to come in and gain command of the playbook in a short period of time.

If bulger gets hurt, god forbid, it is more important that we have someone back there that at least knows the plays and where the receivers are supposed to be. Hopefully, smoker would be ready if bulger went down, but if not, martin is a very good choice in my view.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

fearlessone is offline Registered User

I tend to disagree with you both. The Jaime Martin experience has been dreadful at best.

To my tainted memory, has Martin never won a game as a RAMS qb? I think the answer is no.

Chandler at the least got us a victory against the ******, and that is what he was supposed to do. MAintaining the lead or keeping the team in the Game. After that game, these two sucked it faster than SUV at 90 mph as far as stinking up the joint.

MArtin is a mistake, Chandler did very briefly what he was brought in to do. We need a veteran like Chandler, but younger and more mobile. It is not so much the system but the physical and mental tools required to perform under pressure with a suspect o-line like the RAMS had last year.

Signing Martin is poor managment and four steps backward IMVHO.

I would rather do the wrong thing and pick MAtt Jones and "waste" a first round pick than gamble with Martin.

The Jaime Martin experiment should have been abandoned 2 years ago.

Good day!

Respectfully,

FLO
    Last edited by fearlessone; -04-13-2005 at 09:58 AM.
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Quote Originally Posted by FLO
    To my tainted memory, has Martin never won a game as a RAMS qb? I think the answer is no.
    You were close FLO. Martin has been the main QB in 7 different games for the Rams. He got the win in 2 of those 7. Interestingly, those same two games are the only games in which he threw more TDs than Ints. (2002 Week 17 SF 3 TD/ 2 Int & 1996 Week 17 NO 2 TD/ 1 Int)

Last season, neither Martin nor Chandler were worth a seat on the team bus, but if Martin is nothing more than a emergency button this year, I could live with it. Hopefully, he never sees the field. Of course, for that matter the only time I want Smoker on the field is after we go up by 30 by half-time.
    The Jaime Martin experience has been dreadful at best.
    I agree he's not much of an option, but after Chandler threw his 6 picks last year against Carolina, Martin looks a little better.....not much mind you, but a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLO
    I would rather do the wrong thing and pick MAtt Jones and "waste" a first round pick than gamble with Martin.
    Man, it's got to be tempting. I'm sure Martz' will power is going to be tested come pick 19.
    Good day!
    And a good day to you, FLO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    You were close FLO. Martin has been the main QB in 7 different games for the Rams. He got the win in 2 of those 7. Interestingly, those same two games are the only games in which he threw more TDs than Ints. (2002 Week 17 SF 3 TD/ 2 Int & 1996 Week 17 NO 2 TD/ 1 Int)
    HUb,

Thanks for the info. I remember watching the first game (******) and I was pumped after we won the game as it gave me hope for 2003 and it was against a playoff team! The beginning for the end for the mooch in the bay de gais.

As for the 'aints game well I cannot remember if that was an important game for them or not but I think we stunk that year ....

Maybe we can pick up a vet in June ...
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Lets be honest Martin sucks. We have no idea how good Smoker is or will be. So this leaves us with death if Bulger goes down. There is still some veteran guys out there that we could have gone with or draft a qb in the later rounds. Just because Martin knows the offense doesnt make him a better pickup than a young guy who has to learn it. Martin knows the offense but he cant run it, thats the problem. So I agree with fearless on this one, this is a major step backwards.
    Just Fix It

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure that signing Martin at this point guarantees that he'll be on the opening day roster. The Rams could still draft a QB on the second day and wait until the preseason to decide which two QBs to carry on the roster in addition to Bulger.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Another thing to keep in mind is that Martin hasn't accepted the offer yet. He may not be on the roster anyway. I don't know what other options Martin is considering but I'm assuming that no one else is offering a better contract so my guess is he's debating about playing anymore. He's not particularly old but he was out of football when the Rams signed him last year.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Lets be honest Martin sucks. We have no idea how good Smoker is or will be. So this leaves us with death if Bulger goes down.
    Call me crazy but weren't these the thoughts when we had Martin and Bulger as back ups?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Call me crazy
    Okay. You're crazy.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Well, I think your double negative answer is correct. He did win a game.

Martin came in to spell (someone?) in the last game of the year vs. the 9'ers when they had that terrible year in 2002, I believe it was. He led a 4th quarter comeback, and I think it was the monday nighter where Dre Bly got on the horse trailer.

Perhaps someone can refresh my memory of all this. I know that we went into the off-season feeling much better with that win.

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Well, I think your double negative answer is correct. He did win a game.

Martin came in to spell (someone?) in the last game of the year vs. the 9'ers when they had that terrible year in 2002, I believe it was. He led a 4th quarter comeback, and I think it was the monday nighter where Dre Bly got on the horse trailer.

Perhaps someone can refresh my memory of all this. I know that we went into the off-season feeling much better with that win.
    He's won two games as a Ram.

You know, the Rams aren't signing Bulger's training camp competition or anything. They made a one-year vet minimum (I'm assuming vet min) offer to the only unsigned QB on the market to have any idea about our system, much less any experience running it...as a (and I emphasize this part) 3rd stringer. Guys, he'll most likely never see the field. Our O-line will be improved, I've got faith they will be. Bulger will not be horizontal as much as he was last year, and even if he does go down, we have Smoker. Smoker is an unknown, but he has all the tangibles. He's got to get his experience somewhere and after a year of educational sideline patrolling, he is probably ready to step in if need be.

So for 3rd string emergency situations, I would prefer Jamie Martin who knows our system to some guy off the street with lots of experience (Chandler), a good arm (Chandler), but can't run Martz' offense (Chandler) and reverts to what he knows (Chandler) and winds up throwing 6 picks in one game (Chandler).....but that's just me.

general counsel Guest

I would have liked to sign mike mcmahon, who the eagles got. short of that, all of these guys (ie the washed up vets) are not viable options, they all have major problems. I dont know if anyone remembers, but martin spent plenty of time getting killed back there when he was in games. A big part of it is the play calling with the backup in the game.

At the end of the day, our season rides on bulger staying healthy.

Get us a right tackle!

general counsel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast