Results 1 to 5 of 5
Thread: So What do We Know Right Now?
-08-17-2010 #1Registered User
- Join Date
- Aug 2010
- Rep Power
So What do We Know Right Now?
So as of Tuesday Aug. 17th and 3 days after the preseason opener to the Vikes what do we know right now?
1. Sam Bradford has poise and toughness. His accuracy is as good as advertised and he thinks like a vet. He has the ability to not only recognise pressure but he knows how avoid it and throw the ball away in the face of danger. He does not make rookie mistakes, and he does not panic. All in all the kid looks like a legit NFL franchise QB.
2. The Offensive Line is absolutely attrocious. Jason Smith has had his job taken by a 2nd round rookie and he had massive trouble against 2nd teamers, let alone 1st team defenders. He isn't tough, he isn't as mobile as we thought he was and he isn't as athletic as we need him to be. He is down right bad, and is inching closer and closer to Bustville,USA. Maybe his toe is causing him problems, and maybe he's just rusty, but to play that bad and to give up that kind of rush is just inexcusable. The interior part of the line is in shambles and was actually the biggest problem on Saturday night. Too many times did a defender get through the middle of the line only to have a free hit in on the QB. Karney and Obenneya (spelling?) missed blitz pickups only to get their QB killed. Goldberg is depth, nothing more and really shouldn't be starting. He is more tackle than guard and he gets pushed around by men smaller than he is. The interior line play must improve quickly.
3. The wide out's after Laurent Robinson aren't very good. If there was ever a time for Donnie Avery to step up this is the year. They desperately need him to be that guy who they can get the ball too in open space and let him use his speed and agility to gain yards. But literally after those 2 there is nothing to get your hopes up about.
4. Jason Brown must stay at Center. He is a center, he is paid to be a Center, he made it as a Pro-Bowl Alternate last year as a Center. That is his position. Hank Fraley is depth, not a starter. He is only to be used in case of an injury. Spags needs to realize that playing Brown out of position will cause the interior line to lose consistency and it's one and only leader.
5. Steven Jackson can not get hurt at all or the Rams and more importantly Sam Bradford will absolutely be left to the wolves. Jackson is still the premiere player on this team, and this team needs him to be healthy for at least 14 or 15 games. He is the only player that can actually take some of the weight off of Bradfords shoulders. Without Jackson teams will just blitz like crazy and destroy whatever QB is back there.
6. Chris Long must make strides this year and become a franchise defensive lineman. If he doesn't he will be labled a bust. It's vital he makes a significant impact for this defense this year. The good news is that he looked very good on Saturday. He blew up one running play like a top 3 pick should and caused chaos the majority of the time out there. So maybe he is finally getting it.
7. George Selvie might be the diamond in the rough. This kid knows how to ge to the QB, and he will only get better. I love this kid and honestly he should be the 3rd down pass rush specialist in the season opener and beyond.
8. The Corners are terrible without Bartell. Without Bartell the opposing wide outs will get open and will cause serious problems in the secondary. Bartell has to play up to his 2008 form and not his 2009. Too many mental mistakes that caused blown coverages all over the place.
9. Spagnolo needs to be more creative and utilize Bradfords skill set. The roll out pass to Amendola was outstanding and something that should be implemented into the game plan from game one on. He should also use 3 receiver sets and the shot gun more often. Karney is a terrible pass blocker anyway so having two backs in the back field gives the Rams no significant pass protection advantage anyway. With that said, the screen pass must be scraped. Too many times have the Rams fans seen WR sceens or a screen pass to a RB only to have him tackled at the line of scrimmage. Until defenses fear us throwing down field screen passes are completely worthless.
10. James Lauriniatis needs to start cracking some skulls. He is undeniably the leader of this team right now. He must get in these guys faces and start going all Macho Man on their asses. (Sorry, but I had to throw a wrestling reference in there). Seriously though, James needs to get these guys fired up. A great leader can will players to play better and he must take the reigns of this team now. He didn't take any crap from any of the Vikings offensive players on Saturday and the more and more he plays the more and more confident he will become and learn that he is a beast.
If you guys know any other things that are fairly obvious let me know.
Re: So What do We Know Right Now?
I'm not sure whether you wanting to go forward from there but :
1) Larry Grant looked outstanding out there on Saturday. I mean when we traded Alex Barron for Bobby Carpenter, we all kind of expected him to start. When we got that first training camp notice saying Grant played with the 1's, we all went huh? I guess it really did work so far and I hope he continues to improve.
We also have pretty good depth at the LB position with Carpenter as a backup and Vobora both capable of being starters.
2) The interior Defensive Line just continues to improve and looks better day by day. I mean Cliff Ryan vastly improved over the course of last season and Darrell Scott did too. Considering Fred Robbins didn't even play they did a terrific job. They blew up 3 or 4 running plays and created good pressure.
3) On your point about the Secondary, I want to provide some info. None of our starters started. James Butler, Bradley Fletcher, Jerome Murphy and Ronald Bartell were out due to injury. Oshiomogho Atogwe didn't play neither.
I felt like our secondary was going to be pretty good this year but I guess we will have to wait and see.
Re: So What do We Know Right Now?So as of Tuesday Aug. 17th and 3 days after the preseason opener to the Vikes what do we know right now?"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod
Re: So What do We Know Right Now?
Best thing we know is that we have 3 more weeks of preseason for Sam and the rest of the guys to get it together.Super Bowl Champions 2013!
Re: So What do We Know Right Now?
We know that we will win 9 games. My early birthday gift. As bad as I think we are, I still think there will be some kind of birth to the rams, as in good luck, good coaching and desire. But im drunk......