Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: So what have we learned?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    it's only week two and we're 1-1
    And that's where the rubber meets the road. Had most of us made any realistic guesses as to our record at this point, 1-1 would sound about right. Yes, we should have beaten the niners, but No, we shouldn't have beaten the Broncos. That's why they play the game.

So, we're 1-1, right where we should be at this point. Still a lot of football to be played, and I've never heard of a 15-1 team miss the postseason.

As to concerns, the health of the O-line.....no way to coach that. If Big O is out for a while, we're in trouble.

I'm concerned with the secondary. There were a lot of mistakes that led to the bulk of the niners offense. Atogwe, Hill, Fisher, Brown.........the mental lapses killed us yesterday.

And if the interior of the D-line doesn't get a better push than they did yesterday, the run D will continue to look shabby.

Bulger continues to struggle, but he's having to not only learn a new system (like every other offensive player), but he has to control and master that new system..........just ain't gonna happen overnight.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LDJOHN55 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    That doesn't excuse the uninspired play today.
    Yes, I was at the game. Of course I was surrounded by their fans (on their side at the 20 yd line) and was treated well. 'iners fans were decent until the uninspired plays of the 2nd half and then came the 'Lambs suck' tirades. I tried valiently to maintain my bearing, but it was unnerving when Bulger fumbled deep. The words, "What the hell did they call a pass play for?" just resounded in my brain. I couldn't believe it!!!!

I don't know who Bulger was throwing the ball to on several passes when 'Big Game' zigged and the ball was 20-30 yards opposite him in the middle of 'iners defense. We had opportunities to intercept passes and dropped them. I was wondering whether the time zone was the problem, because our team seemed to be playing at 3/4th speed.

I salute Mr. Jackson for his overall playing; he ran, caught, and hustled. He seemed to be the only one on 'O' who was motivated. Mr. Bruce was a saving grace, but I have to put the other catchers on report. They dropped too many opportunity passes.

Obviously, the 'iners planned for Mr. Little. I think the gaps and lanes they chose for the blitz was not direct enough to get there. On several occasions I saw our man could have come over and slapped-five with me on the sidelines with the looping angle he took to the QB.

The 'iners scoring wasn't fantastic. We should have been able to overcome it with Mr. Pace out of the game. Maybe it's also conditioning that made our guys look so lethargic. It was definitely hot out there, and that's quite a difference from playing at home in the Dome. I was glad when the shade came over our side of the stadium.

In summary, I have a plane ticket booked for the home game against the 'iners, but no ticket yet. I'll be there on Nov 24. I'll try to get to the West Coast games because I live here, but my heart is there. I'll be a season ticket guy when I relocate, but all I can do now is watch when I can.

I'm going to step out on that plank and say that I'd rather see Mr. Haslett as the head coach. I want a coach who is excited about the game and inspires his team with motivation to play hard and smart to win....even if they lose.

Yes, I'd also like to see some 'no-huddle' plays; anything to keep the Defense on their heels, huffing & puffing.

ldjohn55

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm concerned with the secondary. There were a lot of mistakes that led to the bulk of the niners offense. Atogwe, Hill, Fisher, Brown.........the mental lapses killed us yesterday.
    Did Travis Fisher once tackle a guy at the point of contact? I recall multiple times where he was the man capable of making the play and either didn't step up to do it or got pulled 4-5 yards downfield trying to bring the opposition down. I like Fisher, but he had a pretty poor game yesterday.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sprtsmac Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Did Travis Fisher once tackle a guy at the point of contact? I recall multiple times where he was the man capable of making the play and either didn't step up to do it or got pulled 4-5 yards downfield trying to bring the opposition down. I like Fisher, but he had a pretty poor game yesterday.
    I was kind of getting tired seeing our DB's getting dragged by the Niner receivers.

Another thing we learned is that over the last 2 years, the Rams have made the Niners defense look pretty good. Especially that secondary.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

-Klopfenstein is the real deal as a pass catcher, having brought in two tough balls today. But as a blocker, he still needs some serious work. He whiffed on a block that got Bulger sacked, and couldn't hold back his man on a run that resulted in a loss of yards.
    True, but Jackson was also guilty of missing a few assignments that lead to sacks. I think that was one of the reasons Davis was in the game for a while.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    True, but Jackson was also guilty of missing a few assignments that lead to sacks. I think that was one of the reasons Davis was in the game for a while.
    I only recall seeing one, and it was on a guy the line should have picked up but didn't either. I tend to think the reason Davis was put in was simply to give Jackson a breather and keep him somewhat fresh for the second half.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

I don't know if I learned anything more after this game, but I will say it has accentuated a few things -

We should be able to do better than Smith and Hedgecock at FB. SJ needs some clearance at times and I haven't seen much bone-crunching support yet.

Fisher isn't the future at corner. I'd replace him with Hill sooner than later.

thoey is offline Registered User

What I learned about the RAMS:

1. We aren't as good a team as the team in week one that beat the Bronco's.

2. We aren't as bad a team as the team in week two that got beat by the Niner's.
    This space for rent...

fearlessone is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LDJOHN55 View Post
    I'm going to step out on that plank and say that I'd rather see Mr. Haslett as the head coach. I want a coach who is excited about the game and inspires his team with motivation to play hard and smart to win....even if they lose.

Yes, I'd also like to see some 'no-huddle' plays; anything to keep the Defense on their heels, huffing & puffing.ldjohn55
    LDJ55,

Sorry about the ***** fans but I have to disagree about Haslett. IF you have had the personal misery of living in the New Orleans area as I have the last 10 years then one would seem to think like, Martz, Haslett does not have the skills to run a team as a HC. They went 8-1 and had the soft portion of their schedule ahead and still did not make the playoffs as he refused to bench that headcase ABrooks for a few series, etc. as he had Jake Delhomme waiting in the wings. He had several opportunities to make the playoffs by pulling AB or putting out fires in the locker room but would never address them.

Sound familiar?

I do like Haslett as a DC at this point.

Anyone hear of HAslett's activities off the field? HE was rumored to be dating cheerleaders with the wife at home with the kids as he enjoyed partying with the players.

Our D looks a lot better than the last few years so let Haslett stay where he is for now
    Socrates: Surf to live! and Live to Surf!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12