Varg6 is offline Registered User

So...whatcha think??

Now think about it...honestly, we're just a few solutions (mainly on D) away from going to another superbowl. What do you guys think? I really think with all this stuff changing we got a really good thing going here, I heard Haslett is great for Defense. Our new head coach Linehan seems great, and Bulger will have more say for play calling and what not, what do you guys think???? what should we be correcting with drafts and whatnot..

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: So...whatcha think??

Great question -- and Welcome to ClanRam, Varg6! :up:

Obviously, the Rams are going through a MAJOR reconstruction job, mainly in the coaching office(s), top to bottom. And it certainly seems that Coach Linehan has done a good job putting together a PROMISING staff to compliment his leadership.

Though it may seem that wondering about getting to the SB exceeds all reasonable possibilities, I feel that at this stage, we are definite contenders to MAKE THE PLAYOFFS, (a more FEASIBLE goal).

Also, I'm not sure that our drafting achievements will make that much of an impact in changing our current strength to get to the playoffs.

:clanram:

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Ummm, I see things a bit differently.

IF, and this is an if that doesn't happen in the NFL....IF the Rams stayed 95% healthy, then they are only a few defensive moves away from potentially making the playoffs and being a contender.

Here's the problem. The Rams do not have depth. And many of the first stringers on defense are not necessarily starters on many other defenses. They are very thin, and I just don't see them getting by with their CB's, Safeties, and LB's. Not to mention their mediocre pass rush by the Defensive Line.

Yes, another LB and a Safety and maybe they improve quite a bit, but realistically they will still be one injury away, like this year when Butler went down. I don't see them getting any deeper, since keeping some of their own guys like Pickett will be an issue.

1 or 2 new players on D, and a new Defensive Coordinator. How far does that take you from 30th? Maybe 22nd?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It's awfully early to make predictions, but I don't expect the Cardinals and ***** to be about a lot more competitive than they were last year. Just a year ago we swept the Seahawks, and I think it's possible but by no means assured that it could happen again. That is if their running game suffers from the loss of Alexander and defenses don't have to load the box against the run. Hasselbeck is still a career 86.6 rating QB. Also, the Seahawks had very little in the way of injury concerns this past year. Outside the division, Oakland, Detroit, and Green Bay (especially if Favre retires) look like the easy ones, but we've got some real challenges on the slate, too. Interestingly enough, we get to face off against Lovie's team and Mad Mike's new team.

I'm excited about Linehan but even more so about getting Haslett as a coordinator. We could fail to sign any of our free agents on offense and not draft anyone on that side of the ball and we'd still put up good numbers next year...but a good tight end would really be nice.

It's hard to tell how close our defense is, though. In top form, Little's a Pro Bowl end and Pickett could be a Pro Bowl tackle. The rest of the line needs to improve. I'm not altogether sure whether Archuleta's part of the solution or the problem or whether he'll be back or whether his back is back to full health. In any case, safety has to be addressed. Pisa's the only sure thing at linebacker right now. Our starting corners are okay but not great. In fact, I don't think we have a corner who has posted more than 9 career interceptions. Prove me wrong. If we were able to upgrade at SLB, MLB, and one or possibly both safety positions, that would still leave a lot of mediocrity on the field unless some more of our current players have breakout seasons. And, yes, depth would be an issue.

Right now, I'd still say the playoffs look within reach and there's just no telling after that.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -02-19-2006 at 01:28 AM.

Hodgins is offline Registered User

the nfc sucks, if our O remains healthy we could easily go 13-3 and be the next victem of the afcLOL

why the seahawks still envy the rams:tongue:

rams_fan81 is offline Registered User

I take that as an insult Hodgins.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Critical factors, as always:

* Health of starting players
    * Building and performance of OL
    * Steven Jackson's performance
    * Marc Bulger's performance
    * Adam Archuleta's performcance, assuming he stays.
    * Marshall Faulk's contribution
    * Improvement of our DEFENSE
    * Improvement of our Special Teams

:angryram: How Arizona / Seattle / Whiner-friskies do this season is, of course, key when the December tally is done, but hopefully we'll have enough ammo, hunger and 2006 success to overcome whatever they muster.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well.....lot's of things have to happen. The C position has to be more stable. Terrell's improvement is a major factor. The linebackers is a major issue also; hopefully Coakley and Claiborne will be more efficient in Haslett's scheme. Also, the secondary has to be more stable. Fisher's regression is a factor.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

What Haslett has for his scheme is infact a huge blitzing Defense, which I'm actually really happy about. I think he had a lot of success with Pittsburgh? I'm not positive about that, but I think he always had success on the defensive side, and offense, I have no idea what is with the O-coordinator, I think its just a friend of Linehan's from college lol but anyways, hopefully he knows his potential and talent for offense, but yeh, I think we'll do pretty good, I mean we did go to the playoffs last year (Barely) but still. I think a key success to a team is single handedly a QB, and if we got Bulger(and him being healthy all year) we got a GREAT chance to win games regular season and in the playoffs. Our receivers...well yeah you guys already know they're basically Godly, Kevin will always get better along with McDonald. As for our D, Haslett is right, I think we should try to get Archy to stay with us, and Little and Pickett are excellent, I think the more success we get, the more hunger the rams will have to win, and that will be a huge factor in the playoffs (if we get there, which I hope to God we do)

realchamp11 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgins
    the nfc sucks, if our O remains healthy we could easily go 13-3 and be the next victem of the afcLOL
    13-3 is pretty good for a team with no defense