Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Molotov is offline Registered User

So what's the problem with the Dome?

My son and I made our first trip to St Louis for the game Sunday. I'll be posting various observations from our trip over the next few days. Here's my first one. I've heard many complain about the Dome. I've read reviews that rate it as the worst stadium in the NFL. WTF? We thought it was awesome. Comfortable seats, ample room, clean and well kept, friendly and helpful staff. What gives?

My son made one astute observation. Any indoor stadium is by default better than an outdoor stadium. We went to a Ram-Charger game four years ago, and this experience was 10 times better in all regards. Of course, we didn't have to deal with parking. We have absolutely no interest in watching a game outdoors in Buffalo, Green Bay, New York, Chicago, etc.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: So what's the problem with the Dome?

I personally don't have problems with the Dome, but I understand where it lacks a bit of panache and personality. I am there for the game, but a lot of fans want more of a stadium experience than just the game.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

I know what you are saying. I went to the Rams Cards game and the Rams skins game. I also went to Chicago and Indianapolis. The EJD is better than both of those stadiums by far.

P.S. I really liked Lucus oil Stadium, till I got to my seat. there was a huge chunk of concrete between me and the left side of the field. I had to bend over to see the game on that side. I had no problems at EJD and I sat in rougly the same spot.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

The Dome has definitely improved compared to the past couple of years.

First and foremost, winning cures everything.

They did what seems like minor improvements that really go a long way, ie it is MUCH brighter in there. The smaller screen used to be the "big screen". The new big screen is much better.

And yes, while you don't get the tailgate football feel to a game inside, it is better than freezing so bad that you can't enjoy the game.

A buddy of mine went to the Packers-Giants NFC Championship game at Lambeau. It was so cold they had to leave their seats periodically to warm up inside. Fun every once in a while, but not for me on a consistent basis.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I respectfully disagree for the following reasons:

1. Football should be played outside, on grass. That's where it started, that's where it should remain.

2. The Dome was boring when I was there. Granted it was before the upgrades, but it had no soul. It is by all respects a convention center that doubles as a football arena, not a stadium.

3. I have been to Green Bay and Chicago both in the winter and in the high 20's. I am from California (for most of my life anyway) and I had no problem with the temperature.

4. I have been to 12 different stadiums, all but one outside (the Ed). Give me sun and shade, flying jets and blimps, the smell of real grass and the need for lights because it is night, not because I am stuck in some God forsaken closet that smells like my grandma's basement...
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    I respectfully disagree for the following reasons:

1. Football should be played outside, on grass. That's where it started, that's where it should remain.

2. The Dome was boring when I was there. Granted it was before the upgrades, but it had no soul. It is by all respects a convention center that doubles as a football arena, not a stadium.

3. I have been to Green Bay and Chicago both in the winter and in the high 20's. I am from California (for most of my life anyway) and I had no problem with the temperature.

4. I have been to 12 different stadiums, all but one outside (the Ed). Give me sun and shade, flying jets and blimps, the smell of real grass and the need for lights because it is night, not because I am stuck in some God forsaken closet that smells like my grandma's basement...
    Will an retractable roof upgrade like the University of Phoenix stadium make you happy?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Will an retractable roof upgrade like the University of Phoenix stadium make you happy?
    Flip, I want you to know that you're hilarious... I always look forward to reading your ridiculously hilarious comments

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Flip, I want you to know that you're hilarious... I always look forward to reading your ridiculously hilarious comments
    I wasn't even trying to be funny but thanks for the compliments.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    I haven't been to that one yet , although I did roast my ginger butt off at the Sun Devil Stadium when they played there!

It looks really nice on tv, and a friend of mine has season tickets and he loves it there.

I like the concept and of course the shade and natural grass so I would say that might be a good compromise. I know St Louis is cold, but I still don't buy off on the need for a dome when Green Bay, Buffalo, New England, Chicago, Denver, Pittsburgh and KC all play outside.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Simply put the dome IMO has provided a good place for the rams and the fans.

The rams due to the GSOT used the turf to their speedy advantage. Not to mention they can play at least 8 games of football where we aren't screwed up by weather.

The fans to make it loud for the rams when they need us. And also it is a bit more enjoyable during the winter months to be inside. The jets and blimps and stuff are nice but when it is pouring rain or snow on you it kinda sucks.

Molotov is offline Registered User

I live in So Cal, and I enjoy the warm evenings. But after about 10 encounters with skin cancer, I have no desire to sit in the sun for 3+ hours lathered in SPF 30 to protect myself. My son and I both prefer the indoor experience.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I prefer the Dome stadium as well. Selfishly I'm not going to travel from Massachusetts to St. Louis hoping the weather is good. The Dome takes that risk right out of the equation.

GO RAMS!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Hold on, you can sit in the stands of a stadium and smell the grass? That's impressive. Even at high school games I've never smelled the grass so you must have some amazing seats!

I've also never really understood the hatred. Being outside would be nice in September and October when the sun is out. Trust me it sucks to sit through a 3 hour game in a downpour. People often like to ignore that feature. And yes back in the old Busch / Big Red days, I admit to spending time in the bathroom trying to get warm.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Hold on, you can sit in the stands of a stadium and smell the grass? That's impressive. Even at high school games I've never smelled the grass so you must have some amazing seats!
    Or an incredible sniffer!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

All I can say about indoor vs. outdoor is this: real grass is nice, but you can't tell me that the fans in the new Meadowlands wouldn't have preferred a roof over their heads during that Monday night game between the Jets and Minnesota!
    I believe!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast