Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Boosh is offline Registered User

Re: So what's the problem with the Dome?

As has been stated earlier..Winning cures everything. I went to the Colts game last year and it was a tomb. Went to the Panthers game last week and it felt like the good old days again. My only complaint is the tailgating isn't that great.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Hold on, you can sit in the stands of a stadium and smell the grass? That's impressive. Even at high school games I've never smelled the grass so you must have some amazing seats!

I've also never really understood the hatred. Being outside would be nice in September and October when the sun is out. Trust me it sucks to sit through a 3 hour game in a downpour. People often like to ignore that feature. And yes back in the old Busch / Big Red days, I admit to spending time in the bathroom trying to get warm.
    MoonJoe is from California; I think he's talking about an entirely different kind of grass...

But seriously, I think what some people respond to in these venues like Lambeau and Soldier Field, apart from from the obvious stuff like comfort, convenience, and cleanliness, is the vibe of tradition. The Rams hadn't actually been there very long when my Dad & I had season tickets in the early/mid 70s, but The Coliseum had its own history & atmosphere going for it that really enhanced the experience. That & temps in the 70s-80s in Dec which didn't suck....lol...The only other place I've seen a lot of sporting events is Cal's Memorial Stadium which also has lots of personality & a perpetually raucous crowd as only college fans can be.

Now that The ED has upgraded its technical comforts AND the organization has made an effort to make it THE Rams home with the historical banners ,etc, perhaps that vibe is becoming better. And nothing will speed up that process more than winning, of course. There is something very deflating about a silent half-empty domed stadium; like a party that never quite caught fire.No matter how much noise you're making/fun you're having, you can't really escape the feeling that you are not "where it's at".
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -11-03-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Molotov is offline Registered User

Yes, a few people made a great point. Hell if I'm going to fly out from California for an NFL game, setting us back about $1200, and then get rained on for 3 hours. Domes rock.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=MoonJoe;366902]I respectfully disagree for the following reasons:

1. Football should be played outside, on grass. That's where it started, that's where it should remain.

2. The Dome was boring when I was there. Granted it was before the upgrades, but it had no soul. It is by all respects a convention center that doubles as a football arena, not a stadium.

3. I have been to Green Bay and Chicago both in the winter and in the high 20's. I am from California (for most of my life anyway) and I had no problem with the temperature.

4. I have been to 12 different stadiums, all but one outside (the Ed). Give me sun and shade, flying jets and blimps, the smell of real grass and the need for lights because it is night, not because I am stuck in some God forsaken closet that smells like my grandma's basement...[/QUOTE

you can really smell the grass ?

Quote Originally Posted by Molotov View Post
    My son and I made our first trip to St Louis for the game Sunday. I'll be posting various observations from our trip over the next few days. Here's my first one. I've heard many complain about the Dome. I've read reviews that rate it as the worst stadium in the NFL. WTF? We thought it was awesome. Comfortable seats, ample room, clean and well kept, friendly and helpful staff. What gives?

My son made one astute observation. Any indoor stadium is by default better than an outdoor stadium. We went to a Ram-Charger game four years ago, and this experience was 10 times better in all regards. Of course, we didn't have to deal with parking. We have absolutely no interest in watching a game outdoors in Buffalo, Green Bay, New York, Chicago, etc.
    I agree, I love the dome,you are there for 3 hours,whats not to like,and for the outdoor guys,think about this, there is no GSOT if the Rams played every game outdoors.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

My complaint is the lighting and this picture in the restroom:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Wait, you took a picture in the restroom?

Unwritten rules man, unwritten rules...

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post

I guess I could have ripped the sign off of the wall?? lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post

I think in the case of this picture, it's ok to break a rule. Absolutely hilarious! Is it positioned where I think it is??

As far as the Dome, I love it. It's home for cryin' out loud. As a guy who has to attend most games in enemy stadiums, it's so great to go to the ED and be surrounded by Rams jerseys and Rams fans. I'd forgotten how special that feeling was for several decades since I was able to go to games in LA. Deciding to make the annual trip to St. Louis back in 2007 was long overdue.

There is the partial back of a person's head in the pic - he is using the urinal...

Everyone was happy about the win so I probably could have photographed anything...fortunately, I have no desire to take pics of, well, you know...

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I think in the case of this picture, it's ok to break a rule. Absolutely hilarious! Is it positioned where I think it is??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

As far as the Dome, I love it. It's home for cryin' out loud. As a guy who has to attend most games in enemy stadiums, it's so great to go to the ED and be surrounded by Rams jerseys and Rams fans. I'd forgotten how special that feeling was for several decades since I was able to go to games in LA. Deciding to make the annual trip to St. Louis back in 2007 was long overdue.
    I can definatly understand this always going to opposing stadiums like I will be in AZ on Dec 5.!! It sucks but alot of rams fans end up going from California so it's not to bad...

Molotov is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    My complaint is the lighting
    We did not notice any shortcomings regarding the lighting. If I had a complaint, it was that they sold beer in the aisles, but not peanuts, hot dogs, etc. On the upside, the bathroom lines were not bad at all. I've stood in line bathroom lines for 20 minutes at other stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    My complaint is the lighting and this picture in the restroom:

ok I have to agree with that one

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I guess I can understand the "old school" love for the grass and playing football outdoors. But then again, we used to poop outdoors too, and I don't see anybody turning down indoor plumbing.

There's something to be said for climate control, if one were to ask me.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I enjoy going to the dome.

My only complaint: no toasted ravs at the concession stands!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast