Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    JFMose is offline Registered User

Re: So what's the problem with the Dome?

There cannot be a worse stadium than Candlestick and the Coliseum in Oakland...I hope to make a trip to the Dome one day, but trust me, those stadiums have to be the worst.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JFMose View Post
    There cannot be a worse stadium than Candlestick and the Coliseum in Oakland...I hope to make a trip to the Dome one day, but trust me, those stadiums have to be the worst.
    Have to agree with you on Candlestick, it has to be the worst stadium by far. It's a complete joke with visible rust everywhere on the ugly exterior and a horrible configuation on the outdated, cramped interior.

The EJD on the other hand looks great on the outside to me and holds up well for an older stadium. Inside it's got wide concourses and comfortable seating with good views all around. It does not have an overabundance of character inside, but I'm there to watch a game, not enjoy the interior decorating. All in all, a great place to get the Rams experience IMO.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I haven't made it out to the Ed (I've had to see the Rams when they play away so far), but I would add some general thoughts:

1. I prefer an open stadium over a dome. Yes, domes are more comfortable, but if I want comfort and a good view, I've got that in my own living room. I go to a live event for an experience, and football is an outdoor experience.

2. I think part of the problem with attendance is the cost of tickets. Cleveland's Dawg Pound came about as a consequence of having cheap field-level bleacher seating behind the endzone. My impression is that the Ed is aiming for kind of an upscale, sanitized game experience in a blue collar city. No surprise that in a down economy with the team slumping, they haven't been able to fill the stadium.

3. I think Chucknbob made a good point about how it doesn't feel like a shrine to Rams football. Again, I haven't been there in person, but it doesn't look like a distinctive stadium. If I'm flipping channels and see a shot of Qwest Field, I could immediately tell that a Seahawks game is on. Heck, even that tacky Tampa pirate ship immediately evokes that franchise's history of being bush league. The Ed looks like a convention center that just happens to host football games in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I prefer an open stadium over a dome. Yes, domes are more comfortable, but if I want comfort and a good view, I've got that in my own living room. I go to a live event for an experience, and football is an outdoor experience.
    Can't argue with what you have to say, but sometimes comfort trumps outdoor experience. When I think of the the years I sat in the sun, on a metal bench in sweltering 110 degree temps while watching the Rams play the Cards in Sun Devil Stadium, I welcomed the climate control of University of Phoenix Stadium, and will continue to, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    The Ed looks like a convention center that just happens to host football games in the fall.
    Sitting in the ED, I always thought, "They have conventions in here?".

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I can see both sides here although I think the dome is great,it may not jump out and say Rams now but back in the GSOT days everyone knew who played there, the Rams had the best home field advantage going,that place was electric,it isn't like that now but if the Rams keep winning it will be that again.

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I can see both sides here although I think the dome is great,it may not jump out and say Rams now but back in the GSOT days everyone knew who played there, the Rams had the best home field advantage going,that place was electric,it isn't like that now but if the Rams keep winning it will be that again.
    That is simply a great post.

sephjnr is offline Registered User

I can't speak a lot as I've never been to a football-specific stadium (obvious reasons), but I do endorse that it's the aura the ground is supposed to generate by itself that can make the difference in atmosphere. I've been to New Wembley three times, and where on TV you can see the exterior shots and the seating inside and go "oooh, aaah", but the concourse is a ghastly grey nightmare of support struts and cheap-looking concessions. The toilets are a joke and the food is laughably overpriced, even by our standards. There probably is an England-themed pictorial of Wembley's history but only available to club members or the like, and it's certainly not worth the 100+mile schlep just to go there for the 'aura'. OTOH from a ten-minute walk I can go to my home ground that largely speaks for itself, has the history available from just a phone call and NOT a membership fee and the product that varies from awesome to ****ty (just like a lot of teams) but at least it's accessible, welcoming and friendly. If/when I get to the Dome in two years would a tour the day before the game be possible/advisable?

Quote Originally Posted by sephjnr View Post
    . If/when I get to the Dome in two years would a tour the day before the game be possible/advisable?

They do organised tours of the dome, only during the week.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Okay. Want to change the ED? Here's the first thing that has to go......

....those gosh darn RED seats!

I mean, come on! How about blue? Gold? Or blue and gold?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

zgare is offline Registered User

I heard a discussion on radio about the stadium in Dallas. They said that Jerry Jones believes that the only way to get fans out from in front of their big high def TVs at home (with their comfy chairs and cheap beer) is to build something spectacular that will make the fans want to leave home and come to the game.

I've been a PSL holder since 1995, and I was thinking that, while the Rams have greatly improved the game day experience in the dome, the Rams don't really do anything that goes beyond what any other team does. They have no uniquely Rams traditions or displays -- like the Bears song, or Lambeau leap, or giant Dallas scoreboard. Even our cheerleaders wear the traditional Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader white boots and two-piece outfits.

Other than win, what could the Rams organization do or add to the dome to get people out of their homes to view a game? Especially new young fans. I'd like to see something really over-the-top. Some thoughts:

1. St. Louis central video -- A video screen 3/4 the size of the one in Dallas would work in the dome and hang no lower than the one in Dallas.
    2. Have a Rams Rock Band, like a mini-halftime Super Bowl Show, play at halftime for every game. Let some fans on the field as the mosh pit.
    3. Let fans on the field after the game? They did let all fans who responded to their survey onto the field in 2009 at the last home game as fan appreciation day.
    4. Rams Rock Cafe (like Hard Rock Cafe) with Rams stuff on the walls. Large with lots of TVs tuned to NFL Redzone and other NFL games. It could be in the dome, attached, or across the street.
    5. Shine very bright images on the ceiling -- clouds, sun, photos, Marshall Faulk? Make it feel like outdoors.
    6. Make use the convention center space on game day. Maybe a football experience space (like baseball experience at the All-Star Game). Or maybe actually have a mini-auto show or home show or other stuff going on in the convention center that fans could check out before or after the game. Or maybe a giant indoor tailgate area where fans can gather in the cold months before and after the game, to watch the second Sunday games on giant screens.
    7. Currently, a guy walks on the beams above the field during pre-game to drop the para-chute that a fan tries to catch in a shopping cart. Could fans pay to walk the beams? They have railings now, but the railings could be replaced with high glass panels so nobody drops something during the game. What a view straight down! Or how about a bar up there with a glass floor.
    8. Put a giant ARCH somewhere in the dome. So it will be immediately clear to TV viewers that this is St. Louis, and not Houston or Indy or some generic place.
    Last edited by zgare; -02-06-2011 at 12:00 AM.
    ZGare

theodus69 is offline Registered User

From the looks of things , they are to build 2 stadiums in LA. And they will be the Stuff! The Jones dome will be housing something else after the 2014 season. The dome is to small for a SuperBowl and the Rams new owner whats some more Glitz! Enjoy the Rams for a couple more years because mark my words. If going to a Rams game after 2014.....You'll be coming to LA BABY!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    From the looks of things , they are to build 2 stadiums in LA. And they will be the Stuff! The Jones dome will be housing something else after the 2014 season. The dome is to small for a SuperBowl and the Rams new owner whats some more Glitz! Enjoy the Rams for a couple more years because mark my words. If going to a Rams game after 2014.....You'll be coming to LA BABY!!!!!
    You sir are in denial

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Easter bunny, Santa Claus, leprechauns, and this beaten horse.........once again.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

ive never been to any nfl stadium so can only go by pictures and whats written (yes im a sheep). but heres something i read and suggest that the ranking while not totally inaccurate, its might have something more to do with winning records (leading to better fan atmospheres)

"Oddly enough, Giants Stadium in New York was ranked 22nd, while the Jets (who play on the same field) were 29th. Good luck figuring that one out."

zgare is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    You sir are in denial
    Don't drown. And see if you can get de president Mubarik to leave.
    ZGare

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast