HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So why can't we stop the run?

I'm glad you asked. This team is not built to be run stoppers. Look at the teams who are top-tier shutting down the run......Minnesota, Baltimore, & New England. They have several things in common, but let's look at two. First their DEs are huge. With the exception of Suggs, none of them are dominant pass rushers, but they are big enough (280-285 roughly) to handle blockers and stop progress or at least change direction of the play at the line of scrimmage. Our DEs just don't have the bulk...Little (260) and Vic (270).

An even more noticeable difference is the size of their LBs. Of those three teams, their LBs run from 248 to 270 pounds. Not one of our LBs can match that girth, Pisa (235), Chillar (242), Spoon (234).

And I'm sure this has to be frustrating to Haslett. The last time he was a DC, he HAD the big LBs. His Steeler 'backers were all in the 250-260 range. Either he has to drastically change his run D philosophy, or we have to get some more size in our front 7.

P.S. Yet another reason I'm not sure why we blame Kennedy for the run D(ebacle).

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: So why can't we stop the run?

Hub you might like the idea of playing Claude Wroten at DE. We will see him playing some to finish out the year. He goes 295, what do you think? Will he help slow down the run.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

I think you may be on to something here, HUb. I've noticed that most of the yards given up running is from the guard-tackle to the end of the line. Kennedy is only asked to clog the MIDDLE and tie up blockers so that Spoon can roam and make stops. Since Spoon is leading the Rams in tackles (or near the top), Kennedy might not be the problem as many surmise. Besides, it's hard for a Nose Tackle to get much pub based on the demands of his position. I really haven't seen all that much given up between the guard-center gaps this year. Oh well, now that Fish is injured I guess it's time to jump on the J. Kennedy's a BUST wagon!!

WHAT SAY YE?

P.S. Whatever happened to txramsfan? I haven't seen any posts from tex in ages.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm glad you asked. This team is not built to be run stoppers. Look at the teams who are top-tier shutting down the run......Minnesota, Baltimore, & New England. They have several things in common, but let's look at two. First their DEs are huge. With the exception of Suggs, none of them are dominant pass rushers, but they are big enough (280-285 roughly) to handle blockers and stop progress or at least change direction of the play at the line of scrimmage. Our DEs just don't have the bulk...Little (260) and Vic (270).

An even more noticeable difference is the size of their LBs. Of those three teams, their LBs run from 248 to 270 pounds. Not one of our LBs can match that girth, Pisa (235), Chillar (242), Spoon (234).

And I'm sure this has to be frustrating to Haslett. The last time he was a DC, he HAD the big LBs. His Steeler 'backers were all in the 250-260 range. Either he has to drastically change his run D philosophy, or we have to get some more size in our front 7.

P.S. Yet another reason I'm not sure why we blame Kennedy for the run D(ebacle).
    Looks like our boys need to inhale alot more HAGUS. I've heard that HAGUS is loaded with calories.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I've got a lot of sympathy for the point HUb is making here. Levon Kirkland was a monster if memory serves and right now we don't have anyone who fits that mould. Talent isn't defined by weight but some extra pounds of the right stuff can be helpful in terms of the basic physics of the game.

As for Kennedy, I've wanted him to do well ever since he was drafted, and in no way would I heap the responsibility for our run D woes on him. However, I would suggest that he may be struggling with the technical nuances of his new position. He may work it out yet, I certainly hope so.

I know Jim's a little ticked at the attention this is getting but until he puts it right he's going to here a lot more of it.

rampete is offline Registered User

hubison, you bring up an interesting point in regards to the physical attributes, or the lack of, of our d-line, but i believe the success in run defense is largely contingent upon discipline, shedding technique and controlled aggressiveness/instincts of the front 7...yes, that includes the linebackers...

it's not that our run defense is giving up 6 yards on every run play...i see our front 7 stuff the run once in awhile and give up the allowable 3 yarders, but it's those 20+ yarders we tend to give up two or three times a game that is really skewing the numbers...these lapses are more consistent with missed assignments to fill the gaps, inability to control the edge (especially on the right side where our rookie was playing) and undisciplined pursuits by our LBs which leaves us wide open for cut backs, traps and counters...

oh, and it doesn't help to see that glover is not controlling the LOS consistently and kennedy's propensity to try to shoot the gap by turning the shoulder on run plays but then square up and play straight up on pass plays...

Country is offline Registered User

The problem is at every level of the defense when it comes to stopping the run.

DL: You cannot have 3 pass rushers on your defensive line. We need some major size up front Glover and whoever is playing in the RE spot are to small.

LB: The Rams LBs are small and fast, which is not a problem because Ray Lewis is not that much bigger then Spoon. The difference is when Ray is successful he is protected by big DL. I also think that Chillar for a man his size is not a force against the run.

DB: Our Safeties do nothing against the run. If you look at the best Safeties in the league like Sean Taylor and Ed Reed they make plays atvthe line of scrimmage against the run. Chavous and Otogwe can't even make a tacjkle down field let alone near the goal line.

The prescription for the run defense: Wrotten at end should help and I think teaming Fisk and Kennedy inside will help.

But next year it is time for a defensive makeover.