Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: so you think taking Jenkins was a risk huh?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: so you think taking Jenkins was a risk huh?

As for smoking pot sure it can get him in trouble in the NFL. Does this make him a bigger risk then any of the guys we picked? In my opinion it does not.
    Then why was he available at #39?
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Just because Jenkins has 4 kids doesnt make him more out of control then a guy with no kids but hundreds of groupies in every city.

Teams need talent and they arent all gonna be Mary freakin Poppins, and dont need to be to succeed.

The important question isn't how many kids he has by however many different women. It's whether he's taking responsibilty for the kids.

As for Mary Poppins types, it seems that every other player drafted by all teams had some sort of criminal record or wart. The Rams seemed to seek out guys especially in the 2nd and 3rd round that otherwise would have been higher picks if not for their arrest records. That's risky but smart if it works out.

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

We should just pick guys that are proven leaders, no criminal background and all round good people.. that way all the risk is eliminated and in three years our team will be playoff bound!!
    Defence Wins Championships

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Holt Your Horses View Post
    We should just pick guys that are proven leaders, no criminal background and all round good people.. that way all the risk is eliminated and in three years our team will be playoff bound!!
    The Rams already tried that, well, they failed.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It was brought up because the Rams announced they intend to call him every day to "keep him out of trouble", as a "safeguard". I think that's a reasonable cause for concern. The Rams obviously don't trust him to stay on the straight and narrow.
    Why would they pick him then?

There must be an element of trust there, they wouldn't invest in blind hope.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Hmmmm, I think the fact that the Rams feel it necessary to keep a daily watch on a grown man says: "We don't trust him enough to make the right decisions on his own".

I would call that a risk.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Hmmmm, I think the fact that the Rams feel it necessary to keep a daily watch on a grown man says: "We don't trust him enough to make the right decisions on his own".

I would call that a risk.
    That's pretty much the way I see it. That said, I think it's worth a shot. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I really hope it works out.

rams4life88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Does wearing a condom while sleeping with multiple partners make you any better than the guy that doesnt wear one? Sure you might have less kids but people are fooling themselves if they think that a lot and i mean a lot of professional athletes arent womanizers. Just because Jenkins has 4 kids doesnt make him more out of control then a guy with no kids but hundreds of groupies in every city. As for smoking pot sure it can get him in trouble in the NFL. Does this make him a bigger risk then any of the guys we picked? In my opinion it does not. How many DT's have we taken in the 1st round that have not panned out? Pretty risky taking another dt at 14 if you ask me. We took a wr from App State pretty risky if you ask me. They are all a risk and a gamble. I dont care how much research you do a team does not know if they are getting the next Jamarcus Russell or the next Peyton Manning. If they knew Montana and Brady would have been #1 overall picks and Kurt Warner would have never bagged groceries for anyone. We had 3 2nd round picks if 1 of them pans out ok. If 2 of them pan out that would be nice. If all three pan out consider us lucky. I like the risks our front office is taking, afterall the old regime wasnt really taking risks rather picking 4 pillar guys. Teams need talent and they arent all gonna be Mary freakin Poppins, and dont need to be to succeed.
    Exactly. I mean seriously I think we are all tired of either letting someone go or watching someone else pick another player and watch them succeed somewhere else instead of with the rams. The draft is a risk. You never know exactly how these guys are going to pan out. Not everybody lives a squeaky clean lifestyle especially these younger cats. That's not to say that they cant turn things around. If people want to talk about him having babies, well has anyone seen Antonio Cromarties rap sheet? Lol the dude makes Janoris seem like a newb in that regard. To my knowledge hes been "decent" as a player and neither the Chargers or Jets have had any problems with him because of his (exaggeration) "20+" kids with who knows how many women. The fact is, its a risk/reward either way and if you don't take the chance you'll never know what could have been. That my friends leads to consistency. Most of the time, consistent mediocrity.
    rammiser and GROUND DOG 39 like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

For those who don't see an increased risk in Jenkins, I will reiterate my question:

Why was a top-10 prospect available at pick #39?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Of course there's risk. As HUbison noted, that's why he went at #39 instead of #9.

Responding to that by saying "well, there's risk with every player" misses the point.

Some risks are inherent in the game. Other risks are inherent in a person. The former are not individually foreseeable. The latter are.

In the end, the Rams had to decide whether spending a No. 2 pick (factoring in that they possessed three) on a player with an enhanced risk of conduct that can detract from his ability to succeed was offset by the player's upside potential.

They concluded that there was more in the plus column than the minus column.

The only people who can tell us today whether that assessment was correct are Emmitt Brown and H.G. Wells.
    berg8309 and gap like this.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    I guess people are concerned that if he has his mind on partying and having women, then he won't be focused on football, which will detract from his playing ability. Some guys can do it, some guys can't. Just because some guys have been successful while making bad decisions doesn't mean it should then be automatically disqualified as a concern. Some guys, when they get the money, all they care about is living big. Will Jenkins be like that? I certainly don't know, but I don't think you can dismiss maturity concerns with a wave of the hand like swatting away an annoying fly.

Marijuana concerns, obviously, are the fact they can remove him from the field as per violation of NFL rules, so hopefully he realizes that once he is retired, he can smoke his freakin brain out if he wants, but until then, the only way to stay on the field and making money is to stay clear of it.
    Than again, maybe if he has enough illegitimate children it will just encourage him that much more to stay off the weed and excel at his day job so that he can support them
    ZiaRam likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Then why was he available at #39?
    Because just maybe the other teams had other needs, or weren't (aren't) as desperate as the Rams.

Or the majority of NFL management think like you ,RFRH and NJ Rams, which is probably (and understandably) the case. Doesn't make them right. Looks to be 50-50 split on this board, or even slightly in (taking) Jenkins' favor.

I will say that this has been a lively, intelligent and thoughtful discussion, and one of many reasons why this is the premier (read only) Rams board on the internet.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    For those who don't see an increased risk in Jenkins, I will reiterate my question:

Why was a top-10 prospect available at pick #39?
    Groupthink. Symptoms of which include bounded rationality, tethered assumptions, and belief in inherent morality of the group.

Irving Janis, Psychology Today, Nov. 1971
    Fat Pang likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't have a major problem with taking the gamble, (although I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best) and I don't see too many others being completely against the pick, but let's call it what it is, a move that has more inherent risk than normal.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too View Post
    Groupthink. Symptoms of which include bounded rationality, tethered assumptions, and belief in inherent morality of the group.

Irving Janis, Psychology Today, Nov. 1971
    Hogwash.

NFL teams do not develop their opinions collectively (indeed, they are not privy to their counterparts' mindsets until after the draft), they do so individually. That's why Seattle took Bruce Irvin in Round 1, even though there may have only been 1 or 2 other teams who would have done so.

In Jenkins' case, it took the right set of circumstances (a DB needy team with extra 2nd round picks and a Head Coach who believes in his ability to develop young men into responsible NFL citizens) to appear before Jenkins came off the board.

But hey, keep on shoveling your pseudo-intellectual offerings. They're certainly entertaining.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast