RamWraith is offline Registered User

Some Bernie stuff

Post subject: New Coach in 06

I have a few names, but can't reveal them at this time, and I apologize for that.

But they will NOT be looking in the college ranks... unless there's a change of mind, which always is possible in this organization.

It will be (most likely) an NFL assistant.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watching 10 NFL games a week via my three TiVos has been an educational experience for me.

All coaches screw up in play calls and timeouts.

In STL, we tend to think that Martz is the only one who ever stinks it up.

Not even close to the truth.

--B

I repeat: people here somehow believe that Martz is the only coach who makes missteps in game management.

When in fact some of the biggest coaching names in the business do it every week, and I know because I see every game (most of the time).

Martz haters are blind.

I'm just saying open your eyes and at least try to see.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you go by his overall record, I'd say that Martz proved he can be a successful head coach in this league.

With flaws? Of course. I don't need anyone to point them out, because I've pointed them out many times and have been especially critical of his choice in hiring Marmie -- not that I'd expect Martz haters to remember anything like that; they only respond when he's praised of defended, and they never seem to remember what was written beyond, oh, two days ago.

But the statement that "he's not a head coach, he's an offensive coordinator" really is ignorant when the facts are applied to it. It has no basis if you go by the record. He entered this season with either the 3rd or 4th best winning percentage among active head coaches.

Ironically, those dimiss Martz as nothing more than an offensive coordinator miss an opportunity to levy some legit criticism of him -- that his offense ain't what it used to be.

Much easier to spew cliches, I know.

No big deal.

-B

I think Vermeil's personality was more compatible with Shaw and Zyggy. Dick could handle them better.

This was also before Zygmunt was empowered as a football guy, the way he is now.

I don't recall many leaks about Vermeil except after he was nudged to make changes following the 1998 season. And Shaw did his best work as a Rams executive during that time.

Never did they try to cut Vermeil off from communicating with assistants. Vermeil was never ill here. And had he been seriously ill while serving as Rams coach? I guess we'll never know if the boys would have used it as an opening to push him towards the door, as they are doing now.

Shaw has had mixed results as the CEO.

Sometimes his decisions have been awful -- Steve Ortmayer? -- and others have been brilliant.

Once he runs Martz off, I want to see who he hires, and I want to see if he restructures the organization if at all. That will be the only thing that matters at that point.

If you look at the Shaw record, it's one of extreme highs and lows.

I just hope the team isn't headed to one of those lengthy down cycles.

But you are right: Shaw was lawyer then, and he's a lawyer now.

When he's cold hearted, that's the lawyer / businessman coming out in him. We see it now.

Zygmunt, however, was a lawyer then -- and he's much more now. That's a major difference in the Vermeil years.

My writings on Martz have reflected his highs and lows. I've been fair. I don't expect people to remember every column or the times Martz picked up the phone to scream and holler about something.

It wasn't too long ago that a few regular posters were writing on this board that Martz hated me, and our relationship had ended, and he was cutting me off, etc. That turned out to be fiction. But with many Rams fans, I don't take offense. It seems like some of them have a difficult time remembering what was written -- the good and the bad. They usually recall the last column, which is freshest in their minds. Or they choose to remember whatever columns fit their particular agenda. Human nature. No big deal.

Cheers,
    B

Martz certainly has made his share of mistakes.

And coaches never win power struggles with the guy empowered fully by ownership to run the team.

I understand that Shaw is in charge. He should be. He's made a lot of money for the owner.

What I don't understand is Zygmunt's apparent job-for-life status.

--B

I believe what Shaw also got when he hired Martz was two trips to the Super Bowl, the highest-scoring offense over a 3-yr period in the NFL's modern era, and trips to the postseason in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004. And a continual strings of sellouts. And the best winning percentage by a head coach in STL football history.

Just trying to provide a little balance.

--B

Shaw never set a zero-tolerance policy to prevent Martz from calling coaches, calling plays, etc. And Joe Vitt and Steve Fairchild made it clear they valued Martz's input.

In fact, Fairchild called Mart at halftime - repeat, Steve called Mike, not the other way around - to get some advice on play selection. Martz provided it and Fairchild was happy to receive it.

Martz had an idea for two more running plays that Fairchild could use in the red zone, if Necessary. That's why he tried to get through. Just two plays, nothing more. He wasn't trying to take over the play calling.

The big boys really put Martz in his place. The bosses usually win these things. Nothing surprising. Interesting to see who Shaw will try to hire as head coach after the season. What kind of fool would willingly walk into this dysfunctional setting?

By the way I have enjoyed reading everyone's opinions. If we disagree, fine. I think just about everyone here has done a good job of intelligently expressing their viewpoint. And I apologize for being testy earlier.

I'll have more to offer tomorrow. I'm typing this on my Blackberry, and it takes a lot of time. It's better when I am online with my laptop, which I won't be for the rest of the night.

Thanks!

--B.

They forced Vermeil out?

Oh, sure.

That's why they extended all of his assistant coaches' contracts for two years before they "forced him out." I know if I was planning to run off a coach, I'd want to have to pay his assistants a guaranteed $10 million in salary and be stuck with them after he's gone.

Yep. That's what I would do.

Eat $10 million in contracts when I didn't have to -- just to force DV out.

That's John Shaw's way -- to waste millions of dollars when he doesn't have to.

I'm sorry for the sarcasm but this comes up all of the time, and frankly it astounds me that some fans could be so stupid as to swallow the "DV Was Forced Out" hokum.

--B

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Some Bernie stuff

I believe what Shaw also got when he hired Martz was two trips to the Super Bowl, the highest-scoring offense over a 3-yr period in the NFL's modern era, and trips to the postseason in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004. And a continual strings of sellouts. And the best winning percentage by a head coach in STL football history.

Just trying to provide a little balance.
    This is what we got!

[QUOTEOnce he runs Martz off, I want to see who he hires, and I want to see if he restructures the organization if at all. That will be the only thing that matters at that point.

If you look at the Shaw record, it's one of extreme highs and lows.

I just hope the team isn't headed to one of those lengthy down cycles.
    ][/QUOTE]

And this is what I'm hoping!

So I have too ask, why are we thinking of making a change?

This is what we got. A winning record and we are hoping not to go back to being one of the biggest loser in the NFL. Same old sorry @$$$ Rams, is that what they used to say. Happy days are here again.

Still don't get why Martz is not going to be our head coach, just don't get it.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Some Bernie stuff

Post subject: New Coach in 06

I have a few names, but can't reveal them at this time, and I apologize for that.

But they will NOT be looking in the college ranks... unless there's a change of mind, which always is possible in this organization.

It will be (most likely) an NFL assistant.

--B
    Oh sure. Guess what, I also know who they're looking at, but I can't say either.....sorry about that. I can say that he will be between the ages of 10 and 120, but I can't say anything else, sorry.

Bernie, either report or don't.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod