RamWraith is offline Registered User

Some Bernie stuff

A synopsis for those who missed the interview:

* Looking first to hire an NFL coordinator.

* What happened with Martz: became a personality issue.

* 10 names on his list ... four or five get immediate attention, then the others as a Plan B.

* Hopes to have 5 interviews completed by the middle of next week.

* I asked him how he could convince candidates that the front office can function smoothly and isn't dysfunctional...he said that to the contrary, the Rams are a stable organization, since he and Zygmunt have been in place for 25 years. Said most of the people they'll talk to know them already, and know what the situation really is like.

* Shaw said next HC will be in the loop and consulted and have a major say in the hiring of a personnel director. Says this is should be a selling point; coach can help reshape the organization.

* Shaw said he's been preparing for several weeks for this mission; has done lots of background work in analyzing candidates.

* What does he want in a head coach? Toughness, charisma, leadership qualities.

More later...

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The co-front runners in my opinion are Rivera and G. Williams.

Always subject to change, of course.

--B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unless the Bears are eliminated soon, and I don't think they will be, they can't make a fast hire if Rivera is their choice.

--B

Post subject: Bernie: Could it be Rivera as HC McGinnis/Fairchild as DC/OC

Fairchild is on the bubble.

Not out of the question as an O.C. here, but I think they will try to do better, depending on who the new head coach wants.

Post subject: Mystery Name?

Shaw has one name on his short list that he wouldn't divulge yesterday....

I'm hearing it could be Jim Johnson, the Eagles def. coordinator.

I like that guy a lot...know him well.

This is just one possibility as I try to figure out the "mystery" man.

I do know that the guy is currently in the NFL, and that the Rams need permission to talk to him.

--B

Bernie: What about Norv Turner at OC?

It's a possibility.

If Shaw hires a defensive-oriented head coach, he will insist on a "name" coordinator with a track record.

And Norv has always been a Shaw guy.

--B

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Some Bernie stuff

* I asked him how he could convince candidates that the front office can function smoothly and isn't dysfunctional...he said that to the contrary, the Rams are a stable organization, since he and Zygmunt have been in place for 25 years. Said most of the people they'll talk to know them already, and know what the situation really is like.
    This quote has really stuck in my craw since I first read it. I have to ask again, why would John Shaw believe that his 25 years has ANY impact on persuading a quality coach to come here?

But, just for the sake of argument, let's see how Shaw's 25 years have gone........during Shaw's reign, we have a .485 winning percentage. In the 25 years prior to Shaw, a .578 winning percentage.

But, yea, John, I'm sure the problem is Martz.....can't possibly be you and your toadie, Jay. I'm certain respectable coaches will trip over themselves to come work for you........................ahh, breath in the sarcastic goodness.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    This quote has really stuck in my craw since I first read it. I have to ask again, why would John Shaw believe that his 25 years has ANY impact on persuading a quality coach to come here?

But, just for the sake of argument, let's see how Shaw's 25 years have gone........during Shaw's reign, we have a .485 winning percentage. In the 25 years prior to Shaw, a .578 winning percentage.

But, yea, John, I'm sure the problem is Martz.....can't possibly be you and your toadie, Jay. I'm certain respectable coaches will trip over themselves to come work for you........................ahh, breath in the sarcastic goodness.
    I sure hope he's right HUb, because if we don't get a quality, capable, take charge head coach, we'll just be spinning our wheels. Unfortunately, the antics of both Shaw and Zygmunt seem to define the current state of the Ram FO.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Well if we really are going to take a run at Jim Johnson, I hope we get him. I think he has to be the #1 candidate even if Gregg Williams was still in the hunt.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

And Samir will be in the interview and if the interviewee doesn't accept the Throat Slasher will ensure compliance.

Yeah, real stable.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    And Samir will be in the interview and if the interviewee doesn't accept the Throat Slasher will ensure compliance.

Yeah, real stable.

Can anyone tell me how throat slasher didn't get fired by the man responsible for 25 years of uninterrupted Ram harmony and stability, whereas Martz did?

The Chinese communist party has a similar line on stability and prosperity to Shaw I think.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Great research Hub. Just looking at Shaw gives me the creeps; then he opens his mouth & eesshhh... Yack... Personally, I would not even interview with him. I just hope that a quality candidate will look past him and take the job, or yes we will be spinning our wheels.

Av's cartoon charicature is so reminiscent of reality that it is eery...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Hopefully, one of you old-time LA guys can confirm this for me, but I read recently that Shaw was initially brought in to straighten out Georgia's personal finances, after the death of CR. She was so happy with the job he did, she brought him on to run the team.

Is that true? Did she really hire her team's President because he was a good personal accountant?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod