Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sbramfan is offline Registered User

some changes at CB/RB needed.

Rams played well. We've won a few close one's like this one, so too bad we couldn't have got to 5-1.

Great start, looks like the offense is getting there, at least at home.

I would say that there are only a few things to try to fix on this team. Our run defense is what it is. The best players are in there, but still average against the run.

The areas I see that need some evaluating are:

CB. Fisher is a liability and Hill will take some time to get up to speed. Gotta try to get Butler in there.

RB: Steven Jackson's upright running is not cutting it. I believe that he has cost us many games with his runs for a loss on first and second down. Putting this offense in a 2nd/3rd and 12 because of a wasted run play is detrimental to drives. The combination of Davis and Fisher seem better IMHO. At least if he really did bull people over once and awhile, but his upright running makes him easy to stop in his tracks. He can't even pick up a yard when needed. I believe he had 20+ carries for under 50 yards. And as for his stats of leading the league, the majority of other good backs have had a bye week already, so that's a bit skewed. I'm officially ready to throw in the towl on Jackson. Perhaps now I understand why he dropped to the bottom of the first round. At the very least, get Fisher involved more on passing plays, he's looks great in the open field.

Butler for Fisher, and Davis/Fisher for Jackson and we're in business.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: some changes at CB/RB needed.

Your kidding me about Jackson right? He's 2nd in the NFL in Rushing, and 1st in Total yards, and yet he costs us games? Yea, ok.
    RamsFan16

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Saying that Jackson is one of the Rams' primary problems is preposterous. Why am I even bothering to respond to this?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Yowser !!!!!! I hope your kidding or had to much to drink. SJ is a stud RB in this league. He does alot more than just run the ball, which he does very well by the way.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I must say, it was quite gutsy to say those things about Jackson. But trust me, Jackson is a HUGE part of this offense. Even if he doesn't get the positive yardage all the time (What back can you name hasn't had negative yardage?), he's still as much of a playmaker as Marshall Faulk. Is he as great as Mr. 28? No, of course not. But he has the same role as Faulk did a few years ago, and what I mean by this is...he can easily get setup in shotgun and Bulger will be comfortable throwing him the ball. He can catch, and he can be a true 1st string running back. I know sometimes you think well he's always getting negative yardage 1st and 2nd down...but think about it. If he gets so many negative yards...he must be AMAZING if he still is what 1st or 2nd in the NFL rushing? Getting so many negative yards and still being top 3 in the NFL is damn impressive to me.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

You sound like that guy who wanted to sub SD for SJ, dude no offense but your crazy! Cause SJ's rushing in the first few games where the passing didn't show, won us at least 2 games, if we had tony fisher in for SJ I can almost certanly say we would be looking at a 3-3 or 2-4 record right now, I agree on the butler one, but SJ? I don't think so
    Built RAM tough

Rambos is offline Registered User

I was not sold on SJ before this season, with his preseason give me the ball. But what can you say he is playing well, running hard, catching the ball out of the backfield. Protects the ball well, I once thought he was going to have problem with turn overs, I was wrong.

He said he's working on gettting lower. Davis is working with him on that and no matter what he does he is not going to be the next Marshal.

He was a steal in the draft glad to have him.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

For the CB needed, Philip Buchannon was released.

If the Rams were to even CONSIDER signing PB, would it be smart for them to Cut Reed to sign PB, PB is a great KR/PR and would fill a need for depth at CB, He's a Solid CB something that we need.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    For the CB needed, Philip Buchannon was released.

If the Rams were to even CONSIDER signing PB, would it be smart for them to Cut Reed to sign PB, PB is a great KR/PR and would fill a need for depth at CB, He's a Solid CB something that we need.
    You really have to wonder about a guy who can't make it as a DB on the Houston Texans. This article pretty much has the writing on the wall. The guy has not developed at corner and has been inconsistent as a return man. Not saying he isn't worth a look, but solid/good players usually don't get cut mid-season.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

He does gain a lot of yards on big plays but then gets stuffed more then the normal RB on 1st and second down IMO. But I thought Jackson had one of his better games yesterday of lowering his pads and gaining positive yards by powering it forward. I have been critical of his negative runs in the past and still am not convinced he is over his bad habits but I have seen strides in him that make me think he could get over his bad habits. The announcers yesterday said Steven Davis keeps reminding Jackson even during the games to lower his pads and power it forward. I saw him doing just that yesterday on several plays and gaining positive yards.

Jackson's passing game IMO has been good he has really improved in that area. Bulger has been doing a good job of checking down to Jackson and he has been gaining good yardage. I am happy with where he is at in the passing game and the progress he has showed recently in the running game. It's good that he gains a lot of yards but its even more important for him to consistently gain yards. Some of his inconsistency can be attributed to the OL and some can be attributed to what Davis is trying to teach him about being a power runner. By putting his pads down and hitting the line with a head of steam.

If I had to grade Jackson so far this season I would say he is doing good. I have also been impressed with the progress he has made in blocking. IMO he originally tried to do to much to force his self in being a big part of this team. Once he feels like he is more a part of this team and becomes more comfortable in what his role is with this team then IMO we will see more consistent play. This is his third OC in three years although you could make the case that Fairchild and Martz were one in the same because Fairchild used Martz playbook. I understand your concerns about the negative yards however he has a lot of positives going for him right now passing, blocking, big runs, and willingness to work at becoming a better power back.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -10-16-2006 at 08:24 PM.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsplaya16 View Post
    You sound like that guy who wanted to sub SD for SJ, dude no offense but your crazy! Cause SJ's rushing in the first few games where the passing didn't show, won us at least 2 games, if we had tony fisher in for SJ I can almost certanly say we would be looking at a 3-3 or 2-4 record right now, I agree on the butler one, but SJ? I don't think so
    WHY WOULD YOU NOT SUBSTITUTE STEPHEN DAVIS FOR SJ ON SOME PLAYS. DONT GET ME WRONG, STEVIE IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE, BUT TIME AND TIME AND AGAIN HE HAS BEEN STOPPED ON 2ND AND 1 AND 3RD AND INCHES... LET ALONE ALL THE DOWN AND GOAL'S TO GO..... BRING IN A PROVEN SHORT YARDAGE BACK THAT CAN GET YOU THE THAT SMALL CHUNK OF YARDAGE WHEN YOU NEED IT....

RealRam is offline Registered User

SBRamfan, looks like you self destructed by your remarks on our star RB. Yes, he may have some defficiencies but as Rambos pointed out...

He said he's working on gettting lower. Davis is working with him on that... // He was a steal in the draft glad to have him.
    I heard that Jackson himself admits he needs to improve in smashing stronger and straighter between the tackles (our OL must be working in helping him achieve that too) and that in itself, recognizing a weakness, is an improvement already.

IMO, he is bound to become a better RB and that can only be translated as an even higher production than what he already is accomplishing compared to the best in the NFL.

This year should be a turning point for the better for big 39. :r

RealRam is offline Registered User

Bruce, as for Davis being used on short yardage situations, totally agree! :r

He is, for now, better at that by virtue of his experience, size and instinct for getting the 1st down or smashing his way into the end zone. I hope Steven is listening attentively to his mentor.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I can't agree with the premise of this thread unfortunately.

Part of the reason why our CB's don't look to clever on occasion is because we aren't getting enough pressure up front. It's not all the front four but that's where I believe the lions share of responsibility must be placed for our defensive issues. Granted, we don't have a stable of top class cover corners but I would suggest they aren't the liability that they've been painted either. The amount of criticsm that Fisher attracts is disappointing when you consider that other players have struggled as well.

As for SJ, you can't really suggest that he has to ride the bench due to lack of production when it counts. Yes he runs upright, but I seem to recall Dickerson doing that as well so it seems to me that we're in danger of criticising aesthetics over production and that won't be something I can indulge in without serious reservations.

We're 4-2, a game ahead of where I thought we'd be at this stage of the season, in the first season of a rookie head coach and our team as a whole is performing well.

Let's not prescribe surgery for a hangnail.

Buchanon?

I refer to the honourable gentleman's answer above.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I can't agree with the premise of this thread unfortunately.

Part of the reason why our CB's don't look to clever on occasion is because we aren't getting enough pressure up front. It's not all the front four but that's where I believe the lions share of responsibility must be placed for our defensive issues. Granted, we don't have a stable of top class cover corners but I would suggest they aren't the liability that they've been painted either. The amount of criticsm that Fisher attracts is disappointing when you consider that other players have struggled as well.

As for SJ, you can't really suggest that he has to ride the bench due to lack of production when it counts. Yes he runs upright, but I seem to recall Dickerson doing that as well so it seems to me that we're in danger of criticising aesthetics over production and that won't be something I can indulge in without serious reservations.

We're 4-2, a game ahead of where I thought we'd be at this stage of the season, in the first season of a rookie head coach and our team as a whole is performing well.

Let's not prescribe surgery for a hangnail.

Buchanon?

I refer to the honourable gentleman's answer above.

FP makes the best point in this thread (many of us have said this already also) the lack of front 4 pressure is part of our DB problems.

The comments about Jackson blow my mind, he is not a problem.

"Let's not prescribe surgery for a hangnail", good one and exactly right FP.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast