Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

Re: some changes at CB/RB needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    WHY WOULD YOU NOT SUBSTITUTE STEPHEN DAVIS FOR SJ ON SOME PLAYS. DONT GET ME WRONG, STEVIE IS ONE OF THE BEST IN THE LEAGUE, BUT TIME AND TIME AND AGAIN HE HAS BEEN STOPPED ON 2ND AND 1 AND 3RD AND INCHES... LET ALONE ALL THE DOWN AND GOAL'S TO GO..... BRING IN A PROVEN SHORT YARDAGE BACK THAT CAN GET YOU THE THAT SMALL CHUNK OF YARDAGE WHEN YOU NEED IT....
    Dude I didn't mean sub, sumone wanted SD to be our starter, but I agree with you

Built RAM tough

sbramfan Guest

As for SJ, you can't really suggest that he has to ride the bench due to lack of production when it counts. Yes he runs upright, but I seem to recall Dickerson doing that as well so it seems to me that we're in danger of criticising aesthetics over production and that won't be something I can indulge in without serious reservations.

My main point is that I don't believe Steven Jackson is the right type of runner for THIS offense. We need an all purpose back. Fisher looks like someone who could fit that mold, and Jackson or Davis could still be the "switch" back. I dont' think upright running is what you want in this era where the LB's are so fast and strong. Low center of gravity is the key. And even if this could be successful, it would have to be on a team that will run the ball 30 times like the rams used to do with ED. You can't be a wide open passing offense, and still try to be a power running team. It doesn't fit. This offense could be much more explosive if we weren't trying so hard to make it fit around Steven Jackson.

All purpose, fast back.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I disagree with you completely.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    ...and utterly and totally and without reservation.

AV - Really cool sig pic.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

wanderer is offline Registered User

IMO Jackson just needs to figure out when he needs to put his head down and go for it and when to look for a hole. Our OL is not making it easy for SJ. Too many times there is just not a hole. When you need a short gain SJ needs to figure out it's time to just take what's there and not try and dance aroiund and look for something. But, on first down why not take a chance and try for something?

But, for me the improvement has to come in the OL. We lost a a major piece in the first game when we lost our line general. Incognito is doing OK but there is a lot to learn and he will be a better center next year then he is now. Not for lack of blocking skill but in the calls made at the line of scrimmage.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We need an all purpose back.
    I guess I'm missing something. How is the league leader in all-purpose yardage, not an all-purpose back
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I guess I'm missing something. How is the league leader in all-purpose yardage, not an all-purpose back
    This one has me confused too. What is your definition of an all-purpose back? He's on pace to get 1,389 yards rushing, 67 catches and 597 yards recieving for the year. He's also doing it behind a very mediocre line. I'm just not getting the "bench Jackson" thesis here.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Exactly. Steven has been tontributing to this offense in a big way. All Purpose Yards leader, 2nd in the NFL in Rushing, and yet, he isn't an All Purpose Back. Just because he isn't like Faulk, or LT, or even Brian Westbrook and can't line up at reciever doesn't make him an All Purpose Back?

Really, what more can he do. He is 1st in All Purpose Yards, and 2nd in Rushing. And yet, he gets criticism.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan View Post
    My main point is that I don't believe Steven Jackson is the right type of runner for THIS offense. We need an all purpose back. Fisher looks like someone who could fit that mold, and Jackson or Davis could still be the "switch" back. I dont' think upright running is what you want in this era where the LB's are so fast and strong. Low center of gravity is the key. And even if this could be successful, it would have to be on a team that will run the ball 30 times like the rams used to do with ED. You can't be a wide open passing offense, and still try to be a power running team. It doesn't fit. This offense could be much more explosive if we weren't trying so hard to make it fit around Steven Jackson.

All purpose, fast back.
    Why can't we be a wide open passing offense and a power running offense ?

Several teams are doing it...Bengals, Patriots, Seahawks, Steelers etc....

sbramfan Guest

I've come to realize from this thread that most on this board disagree with my thoughts on this matter.

I don't think Steven Jackson is terrible, I just think that on most runs I've seen from him, barring a few where he did impress me, I could picture just about any other decent running back getting at least as much yardage, and in many cases, more. What is it you guys see in him that makes you think he is our best option?

He seems to go down very easily, especially when he goes east and west. He doesn't seem to have a "knack" for finding the first down marker. His upright running is definitely a liability on short yardage and goal line plays. (see Ladanian going over the top for how to get in from the 1). His studder steps are not productive for a big runner, and usually get him stuffed in the backfield. As a receiver, he's good, but not like an all purpose back who get's separation. He's usually covered.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Look if you want to start picking apart Jackson for going down easy or running upright you also have to point out the various times where there just is no where to run. You keep bringing up Tomlinson well last time I checked it took Turner to come in and replace Tomlinson vs the Steelers in order for the Chargers to run the ball. Who is the all purpose yds leader? Is it Tomlinson,Larry Johnson,Westbrook,Barber,James, NO its Steven Jackson. How can you question all of us about what we see in him when all he has done is produce? What games did he cost us? Against the Whiners he had 103 yds rushing and 21 recieving, hardly can blame that loss on him. Against Seattle he had 56 yds rushing and 40 recieving and a td,hardly can blame that loss on him unless he was covering Branch and D.J. I just dont see how you think starting Fisher a completely unproven running back is better than starting Jackson the all purpose yds leader. I'm not saying Jackson is perfect he has missed holes and he hasnt figured out how to hit the hole hard inside the redzone yet but arent those things that can improve? I mean he's doing those things wrong and hes 2nd in rushing and 1st in all purpose yds. The line is a problem but you dont really bring them up. Where should he be to impress you at a 1000 yds rushing already? Lets ease up on the kid and let him learn, he can only get better and hopefully our line will actually block for him.
    Just Fix It

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12