general counsel Guest

Some claiborne analysis please

Can someone please give me the rundown on claiborne. I am looking for an analysis of him as a player, including his injury status, overall durability, tackling ability, speed, age etc. I appreciate that evaluating any player these days is in material part a function of his cap cost, but before we decide if the price is right, CAN HE TACKLE?

general counsel

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Some claiborne analysis please

He'll turn 27 in July. At 6'3" & 260, he is roughly the same size as Little. And for a guy his size he runs very well. He's been pretty durable except for missing 4 games early last season with (I believe) an ankle injury, but I could be wrong about the injury. Bounced back and forth between WLB and MLB in 1st two season with Detroit putting up pretty good numbers. Had best seasons in 2001 and 2002 when he took over for Stephen Boyd as the Lions starting MLB. Went to Minnesota and again was moved between WLB and MLB until settling down this past season again at MLB where he excelled after returning from his early season injury.

Good size, good instincts, looks more comfortable at MLB, great in run support, but quick enough to contribute in coverage.

If we sign him, he would walk in as our starting MLB.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel Guest

HUbison, that sounds very very promising to me. Sounds like a guy who might have some issues being bounced around between different positions, but who has done very well at a defined role.

What is the downside, why do people have issues with him. Why are the vikings, who stink worse than we do on defense (which is really saying something) letting him go?

He seems young enough to have some very good years ahead.

If the money is right, sounds good to me, but i would love to hear some perspective from people that dont like him for whatever reason.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think one of the reasons he has received some disfavorable reviews in the press is that he was the 9th overall pick when he was drafted, and he hasn't turned into a superstar. He also has not played on very good teams for much of his career.

As far as his potential for the Rams, I think he would bring some needed size and experience in the middle which, along with Coakley and Pisa playing SS, should help improve the run defense greatly.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I think one of the reasons he has received some disfavorable reviews in the press is that he was the 9th overall pick when he was drafted, and he hasn't turned into a superstar. He also has not played on very good teams for much of his career.

As far as his potential for the Rams, I think he would bring some needed size and experience in the middle which, along with Coakley and Pisa playing SS, should help improve the run defense greatly.
    AV hit the nail on the head. Among a ILB class of Dat Ngyuen, Al Wilson & Andy Katzenmoyer, Claiborne was supposed to be the cream of the crop. Some had him ranked as high as the 4th best player in the draft. He never quite hit that mark. That's not to say he isn't an outstanding ILB, he just didn't live up to the pillar where he was placed.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Some "what have you done for me lately" stats.... Claiborne's last 5 games:

Detroit: 6 tackles, forced fumble
    Green Bay: 10 tackles (lead team), Int. (TD)
    Washington: 9 tackles (lead team)
    Green Bay (Playoffs): 4 tackles, 1 sack
    Philadelphia (Playoffs): 8 tackles (lead team)

Not too shabby.

general counsel Guest

Any truth to the rumour that he is the son of Liz Claiborne, of the designer/cosmetics fame?

general counsel