radjohns is offline Registered User

Some concerns and some questions...

I have a weak stomach when it comes to the rams. Some would argue that my glass is half empty. I prefer to say that I am preparing myself for all possibilities.

In the event of a close game in the playoffs I have some worries. I am growing old fast when I think about our coverage on kickoffs and our use of timeouts. I have nightmares about a close game where the rams take a late lead and blow it on the ensuing kickoff and are left with not enough time and no timeouts to do anything about it. When I am in thinking postively, I worry little about this because if we manage the ball well, it usually isn't a close game anyway. So perhaps it is a moot point.

Does anyone have thoughts on our special teams this year? Should we be worried?

I listened to it on nfl.com. It sounded like our WR's were struggling to get open. Am I correct? What was Atlanta doing so well? Or was Warner off at times?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Talking Warner? Off? Ha

Warner was 25 for 30. Doesn't sound like Warner was off and Atlanta wasn't doing much well, except for the interceptions. As for our special teams, I've been concerned also. Our kickoff coverage hasn't been even near average, and our kick returners haven't gotten many good returns (although Yo Murphy may change that soon). Don't worry about it though, focus on the good things, of which there are plenty.

:shield:

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    I'm the same way, very paranoid, but if anything we should be more confident now than we were in '99. The main concerns are on special teams and turnovers, but we've shown that we can work through them.

We should be good, just take deep breaths
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

harkin-9 is offline Registered User
    Actually, we havent shown that we can work through the INTs.

If Warner throws 3 picks against any playoff team then chances are we lose. All the talk about eliminating turnovers is forgotten amongst the self love. We are ripe for the picking. Special team weakness only adds to the problems, In order to win playoff games you have to 1) score 2) minimize turnovers 3) keep opponent as deep as possible in their own end of the field and 4) knuckle down in the red zone.

Please Mike Martz, wake up and smell the coffee. remember, the regular season has given the Rams HFA but other than that it counts for NOTHING. You are going to have to make mid-game adjustments and use time-outs wisely. Please show us you can do it.

Please Rams defense, be awake EVERY play, swarm to the ball, cause turnovers, keep mixing up the schemes, attack Every Play!

Please Rams offense-protect warner, and oh yeah....HOLD ON TO THE FREAKING BALL!

Please Rams special teams--get downfield quickly, fill your lanes, MAKE THE TACKLE.

A golden opportunity awaits.........

majorram is offline Registered User
    Yes the special teams do worry me but I think we'll work through them at least YO and BLY will hold on to the ball!!!!!!!!!!

Warner seemed fine to me, OK he had 3 picks but out of the 30 balls throw only 2 balls hit the carpet all afternoon.

:angryram: RAMS FOREVER

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Every team has weaknesses

Bears: 24th ranked pass defense in the NFL
    Packers: Tendency to turn the ball over, trouble coming from behind.

Bucs: Not enough offense, and the run D is suspect.
    Eagles: Review the above quote
    Whiners: Can't stop the Rams speed.

Yes, we have trouble. However, so does everyone else. Not worried about it though. All the Rams need to do is play the solid D that they have been. If a special teams play burn is once, its just once.

duke is offline Registered User
    Relax everyone.

TxRamFan is right on the money with his assessment of our possible opponents. Our special teams just need to be average and as far as yesterday, remember, its harder to get open without the Reverend on the field. They just flat out doubled up on Torry and said let Ernie and Ricky beat us and thats what happened.
    Duke

MsWistRAM is offline Registered User
    I'm not happy about the turnovers, but I'm not worried about them either. We've shown that we can stop our opponents from scoring on most turnovers. We're on top despite the fact that our turnover rating is so high. That says something about the gutsy maneuvers on offense being backed up by our defense in the event of a interception. Just a matter of turning it back around.

As for special teams, I'm happy with how well Bly is at least hanging on to the ball, but wish he was a little gutsier about returning it for a few yards. It's a tradeoff, I'll take it. As for coverage on kickoffs to our opponents, Sunday's game definitely showed we have work to do there. That KO returned for a TD by Vaughn was a show stopper. There's just no excuse for that. Something like that can definitely cost us in the playoffs. No more of those!

I'm glad we have this week off to get our guys healed up and ready to battle to the top! Hold on to your caps, fellas, it's gonna be a bumpy ride! HEEEEEEHAWWWW!!!!!
    MsWistRAM-Hope, not expectation.

Crumbwell is offline Registered User
    I was surprised that the Falcons brought that one back for a TD. The coverage team actually was playing pretty well, 20.4 yard average return (other than the nightmare). I think that they are coming around (did anyone see the hold in the middle of the field on that TD?).

As for the interceptions, the first one was just a bad throw (rare). The second one can partly be attributed to Proehl (he slowed up on his route, if he would have kept going it probably would have hit him in the head). The third one was one you just can't control, a tipped pass at the line (though the Rams have had quite a few of those lately). My conclusion from all these occurrences...THEY STILL HAD 3 TURNOVERS...While you don't like to see them, they come with the territory. The Rams throw it down the field on any down, consistently challenge the defense, and score a lot of points. Like the old saying goes, "you gotta spend money to make money", for the Rams, you gotta take some risks to score some points...

Did anyone see the statistic they flashed on the screen during the game?

I believe it said when the Rams win the turnover battle they are 18-0, when the turnover battle is even they are 10-1, when they lose the turnover battle, they are 9-10.

My final conclusion from all this rambling? Keep chuckin' it down the field, don't forget to hand it to Marshall about 1/3 of the time, and let the swarm clean up the mistakes...sounds like a superbowl recipe to me...

Crumbwell (Nolan)

:lid:

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    txramsfan hit the nail on the head with his analysis. The turnovers are really bad for us, but the defense is picking up the slack. Warner needs to get back to the way he played when they started 6-0. We have our concerns, but as long as we control them and attack those of other teams we should be fine.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

RAMSWIN is offline Registered User
    I was starting to think the the Special Teams play was getting better until that return yesterday. So yes, I'm concerned too. What we need is a kicker that can put it in the end zone at least on occasion. I love Jeff Wilkens, don't get me wrong, but when he kicks low and is received at the twenty friggin yard line, what kind of coverage do you expect?

:angryram:

radjohns is offline Registered User

Thanks

All great responses. I actually feel a little better, although not completely confident. But I guess that's what makes watching so much fun.

Our D usually does a good job in reponse to turnovers. I'd like to see some stats to affirm this thought. I saw that we are 23-0 when we have 100 yards rushing, so lets just make sure Marshall gets the ball 20 - 30 times and we should be ok.

I will not relax until late evening on February 3.

Aries51 is offline Registered User
    Good posts here.I think that anyone who is a Rams fan worries a little bit come game time.I never can relax when I watch or listen to the Rams.I've always been that way.Anyway,txramsfan did hit the nail on the head.The other playoff teams do have weaknesses.I know a lot of us are really concerned about facing the Bucs again,but if we do face them in the divisionals I think we will see a solid dose of Faulk,Faulk,and more Faulk.The last time we played Tampa I really felt like we could of run the ball on them but Martz decided to strike with the air attack.This time I think Martz will attack Tampa's defensive weakness,which is their run defense.Anyway,Our road through the playoffs will be a tough one,but I have a lot of faith in the Rams,even when I worry.

:angryram: GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!:shield:
    Last edited by Aries51; -01-08-2002 at 10:15 PM.
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Cool Hang on to the DAMN BALL boys~!!

Its all about BALL SECURITY in the post season. The team who makes the LEAST MISTAKES will hoist the golden ball on Feb. 3. The way I see it,Kurt Warner will take this team as far as his arm can carry them. If he is the Kurt we saw vs. Miami or the Jets(etc)...title #2!! If he has a bad day and throws 3 or 4 picks...like weve seen at times...they are dead in the water. Barring an injury to one of the main guys...I dont forsee any other problems. Philly will ROLL Tampon Bay....setting up a Green Bay or SF game in round one. Not a problem with either one. Lets face it....13 turnovers in our ONLY 2 LOSSES....this aint rocket science....the ONLY TEAM to beat the RAMS...has been the RAMS!! BALL SECURITY=TITLE#2 - A DYNASTY IN THE MAKING!!:angryram: :shield: :angryram:

MsWistRAM is offline Registered User
    RAMSWIN, that kind of kick off is very rare for Wilkens. I wouldn't worry about that.
    MsWistRAM-Hope, not expectation.