Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Some Info From Inside the Rams' Organization

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Some Info From Inside the Rams' Organization

This was posted on another board - as to its veracity, I have no idea, but I thought it a decent read - not a lot going on right now other than the usual smoke and mirrors stuff ..

April 02, 2014 03:58PM
    Posted by db

For those of you that don't know me, I don't post often, I worked for an NFL team and have a coaching contact and a senior scout contact with the Rams. They don't typically look at these boards during the season, but they do occasionally during the off-season, and here is some recent info from them. To say they are "amused" at some people's opinions is putting it nicely, but I guess that's the punch line of a board like this, and the internet in general for that matter, anyone can participate. But on to the info:

1. The Britt signing was a coup. Getting a potential #1 receiver for only $500K-ish of guaranteed money is simply a great deal. Its a flyer with minimal risk. If he acts up or can't perform, he's gone with minimal cap damage. That's why the signing took so long. Britt wanted a 2-year deal and more guaranteed money, but Demoff held firm, they knew he wanted to play for Fisher. He is not going to take a roster spot from someone they really like longer term. And anyone that thinks a one-year deal with a troubled receiver influences the Rams' draft plans is insulting their intelligence.

2. Fisher has no interest in Chris Johnson. The best aspect of having previous experience with players is that you have a better understanding of a player's heart, work ethic, and character (the most difficult things to judge from afar). He thinks Britt has it if he can get is off-field act together, but not Chris.

3. Clowney is the #1 player on their board currently and its not close. If he is available at #2, they are currently very split in the organization as to whether they take him and make it work, or use the opportunity to trade back. Having him and Quinn off the edge in passing situations and kicking Long and Hayes inside is very intriguing to the D staff, particularly with the mobile QB's in their division.

4. They like Watkins, but there is really a lot of talent in the draft at WR. For example, they don't have a great deal of grade separation currently between Watkins, Evans and Beckham. I did not get the feeling that there was any chance Watkins would be taken at #2. They intend to run the ball, and can get good receivers that fit their system later.

5. They feel they need to fix the OL first and foremost. They are all-in with Bradford, who is obviously coming off a big injury, and with that they absolutely need to protect him better, everything starts with that. They are very happy Saffold is back, but they don't want him at OT. That weakens the interior and he is just slightly better than average at OT. They will come out of this draft with either Robinson, Matthews, or Lewan. Fisher really likes Matthews, if they trade down from #2 he is the likely target. If Long is healthy they put him at ROT and groom him, if Long is not healthy then he is at LOT

6. They like Dix and obviously need a ball-hawking safety, but feel like 13 is too high for him. He is a target if they trade down.

Again, I'm just the messenger, but wanted to pass along. I don't read the board a ton, so I don't know how all of this jives with prevailing opinions, but from what I briefly read, I think people are pretty off-base with the Britt signing criticism. There is no risk here from a cap perspective or a draft perspective.
    Randart likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Why do I get the feeling that the author of that post makes his living writing horoscopes?
    MoonJoe likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Some Info From Inside the Rams' Organization

Interesting stuff, but if all these guys with Rams sources are to be believed, there are some serious leak problems at Rams Park. Just sayin'.......

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

"Live from Rams Park or, as my mother likes to call it, her basement......"

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Anyone working for my NFL team and is a talker like that doesn't work for my NFL team for long.
    Semper Fi!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Odd most of this conversation here tends to echo our thoughts. Reason why I subscribe ONLY to this board is there are a lot of rational and well informed football minds here.

I can't think of one member here in this forum who hasn't expressed a concern with the OL. To a lot of heated arguments the question is how and what is best. My points have been there is a lot of depth in this draft, and unless there is another Orlando Pace on the board its not worth a top 10 pick, regardless if Mathews or Robinson are best in class, but that's me.

Pretty much sums up the Britt discussion...most here recognize and discussed the pros of his signing. We know without Fisher or any of the other brain trusts giving us a press conference explaining the decision.

If true that the "DECIDERS" troll the message boards and find it amusing in the off season, least they would be aware of the over all disappoint with 2013 season, aware of growing frustration, and very aware that FANS pay the bills. I wouldn't find that too amusing if I was on a coaching staff, fan discontentment--usually ends up in someone losing their job. How many heads rolled at the end of 2013 again?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Whether or not the guy who expressed these thoughts on another board is being truthful regarding his "connections" is anyone's guess, but the opinions shared are lucid and certainly reasonable. They definitely aren't any crazier than many of the thoughts ClanRammers have expressed over the years.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Sounds reasonable to me. I can certainly see all of these things being true. And it seems to be expressed from the POV of management, so if the guy is making up fiction, he's doing a good job of it. For example, not many people outside of the Rams would say getting Britt was a 'coup', but I can see that being the POV within the organization especially considering they got him for dirt cheap.

The depth at WR has been a recurring theme among prognosticators, so I can definitely see them passing on Watkins and waiting until later in the draft.

It echoes my views of Johnson, but not on Clowney. Guess we'll see.

I'm beginning to think there's more opportunity to trade out of #2 than I thought, and targeting Matthews makes sense in that regard.

Hell, this could be completely accurate, and still not be what happens because of the vagaries of draft day picks and pressure.
    MauiRam and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Looks reasonable, and echos most of what has been said around here. If nothing else, it perfectly demonstrates the "source" effect:

Charlie Campbell's "source" says it's down to Mack or Watkins
    db's "source" says it's Clowney or Matthews

Both (supposedly) have an inside source and both come up with drastically different answers.
    FestusRam and Randart like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

demiurge is offline Registered User

And of course, some of these sources could easily be intentional disinformation. You might as well old school Soviet Pravda and expect as much truth coming out of front offices this time of year.
    live4ramin likes this.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    To say they are "amused" at some people's opinions is putting it nicely, but I guess that's the punch line of a board like this, and the internet in general for that matter, anyone can participate.
    I can only imagine if actual football people were able to reply honestly on a sports message board what they would say. I would definitely pay to read it.
    Randart likes this.

Randart is offline Registered User

I found the Fisher assessments of Britt and CJ2K very interesting... The looking down the nose at us fan prognosticators I find in line with some few who post here regularly, but feel they are more correct in their assumptions than anyone else. Kinda hill larry us! Like most of you guys noted his info makes allot of sense and much of what he says many here view as fact already. Also he said he was employed that is past tense so also means he is a free lancer maybe retired or selling papers on the corner now, or if in LA selling maps to starz homes! LOL

live4ramin is offline Registered User

And the possibility that they (we?) recruited this guy to go forth and spread bullhockey.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -04-03-2014 at 12:08 PM.
    "The horror"

richtree is offline Registered User

This is such a sham..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liar, Liar, liar.....
    MoonJoe likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    And of course, some of these sources could easily be intentional disinformation. You might as well old school Soviet Pravda and expect as much truth coming out of front offices this time of year.
    So, in other words...

KoaKoi likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast