Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 Guest

Some info on the Rams O next year

This is little information but the Rams will be running a West Coast offense, a easier version of Martz's offense and they said will be running a more balanced attack. I got this info from the FSN Midwest Sports Report during the part where they showed the Press from today.

megas711 Guest

Re: Some info on the Rams O next year

Do you think it will make much of a difference though? I don't think it will. They need to make some drastic changes to almost everything to make a difference next season.

majorram is offline Registered User

I know something I think that Linehan will put in more protection for Bulger and will not leave him exposed... I really don't see much of a drop of between Martz and Linehan, both are aggressive play callers, Linehan will almost certain have a more balanced attack... it will be interesting to see.....

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

RamsFan16 Guest

No I dont think it will be a diffrence but I didn't know if you had heard that already

psycho9985 Guest

I dont want the westcoast O.Its just to painful to watch a team take 97 plays to score.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by psycho9985
    I dont want the westcoast O.Its just to painful to watch a team take 97 plays to score.
    Yea and pass 96 of the plays.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Very to true my friend ! It does keep ya on the edge of ones seat...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Linehan doesn't run the West Coast Offense. In fact, his offense is similar to Martz's in a lot of ways.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Linehan's never run a WCO before, I don't think he would start know. Especially with this personnel. This offense was made for a vertical air-Coryell offense like Martz intended. Linehan's offense in the past has been very similar, with some spread power running mixed in.

I just can't imagine that Linehan would throw out his philosophies and personnel in place to run it, just to switch to WCO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Is it possible he meant the Coryell attack? Seems like a couple times a year I'll read Paul Zimmerman on SI.com complaining that the Martz-Coryell-Zampese-Gillman philosophies are the 'Real West Coast Offense.'

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    Is it possible he meant the Coryell attack? Seems like a couple times a year I'll read Paul Zimmerman on SI.com complaining that the Martz-Coryell-Zampese-Gillman philosophies are the 'Real West Coast Offense.'
    The original WCO was indeed the Coryell product that we have come to know and love through the eyes of Martz. However, the walsh duck shoot that the WCO has become associated with is quite different from it's original namesake.

So yea, the original WCO was like Coryell's offense.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

All I know is this.....Ricky Williams had a very productive year at RB this year for Miami after sitting out awhile. If Linehan could do that with Ricky, maybe he has an idea on Stephen Jackson.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I guarantee that linehan is not going to overhaul his entire offensive philosophy now that he has his first head coaching job. He has preached and practiced the vertical passing game in every job he has had. That is a knock on him, he is too martz like in his play calling for some people. No way would he have gotten the job if he was going to run a west coast offense with our personnel.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece
    Good point.

We had this discussion about the WCO a while back when some of us were saying it was 'cowardly' and meant you had to dial up the pass 95% of the time.

All of these famous passing schemes share a common lineage. The WCO happnes to be the most famous because of the success that the whiners had with it and there's a lot of their coaching alumni around the league using it right now.

The whiner connection may be why some of us have a problem with it too.

So WCO is just a convienient label for the media to use. As others have said, Linehan doesn't run a true west coast offence in the mode of Walsh.
    Last edited by Fat Pang; -02-16-2006 at 11:20 PM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    That is a knock on him, he is too martz like in his play calling for some people.
    Great point GC. As far as I'm concerned, that's a good thing. No way Linehan wastes the talents of arguably the most accurate passer in the NFL along with the best downfield route runners for a dink and dunk excuse for an offense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast