Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramhard is offline Registered User

some interesting stats from the game

Here are some stats from the game:
    P. Tinoisamoa 12 tackles and 1 sack,
    C. Claiborne 1 tackle
    D. Coakley 1 tackle

So I don't care what you say about scheme, a NFL LB who plays 30-40% of a game where the other team carries 38 times (for 176) should have more than one tackle.

B Green had 3 tackles, while Hargrove had only 1 tackle and that was his sack. After seeing how Hargrove got pushed to the outside on the TD run, I wonder if Green might be a better all around player at the point of attack.

Kennedy and Pickett had 5 tackles each. Lewis had 3 but I saw him pushed around a lot on the big plays near the goaline, and on Payton's scrambles he tried a spin move and got pushed all the way to the other side of the field opening up the lane.

For those complaining about C. Johnson on kickoffs, he returned 8 for 151(18.8 average) while the returner for the Colts returned 5 for 94 (18.9 average). So while Johnson doesn't look all that natural back there (not a lot of shiftiness just speed), and he in no way reminds us of Horne or KC's Hall, he is a decent returner who so far has held onto the ball and scored 1 TD. Not a big issue at this point. He is the type of returner that given a crack he can take it a long way, but he is not going to make people miss. If he does the same job like this the rest of the year - average returner with good coverage, potential breakthrough if a lane - I'd be happy.

Some other stats:

Dwight Freeney had 2 tackles and no sacks. R. Mathis had 4 tackles and 1 sack on Barron. So for all the gushing on Freeney (and he did goad Pace into 3 offside penalties), he was held reasonably in check - even considering the forced fumble.

One last thing. I wish they kept stats on defensive backs covering wide receivers but never seeing the ball until it goes past them (either for receptions or incompletions). I bet the Rams would be at the top of the NFL. I'm not sure if Fisher ever turns on the ball, and always seem to just run with his back turned (see Harrison's touchdown). So even if in decent coverage, often complete. Arch often does the same thing...arghhhhh.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: some interesting stats from the game

Here are some stats from the game:
    P. Tinoisamoa 12 tackles and 1 sack,
    C. Claiborne 1 tackle
    D. Coakley 1 tackle

So I don't care what you say about scheme, a NFL LB who plays 30-40% of a game where the other team carries 38 times (for 176) should have more than one tackle.
    Try as we might to leave it out, scheme is an important factor here. You will note that Chillar had 8 tackles to go with Pisa's dozen. That is because they are the only two LBs in the game when we go Nickel......which we did for most of the night. I'm disappointed in C&C as well, but they can't make tackles if they're not on the field.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramhard is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Try as we might to leave it out, scheme is an important factor here. You will note that Chillar had 8 tackles to go with Pisa's dozen. .
    Not to nitpick, but on the ESPN stats Chillar only has 5 tackles (4 solo and 1 assist).

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

$-3, cover, 2 deep zone; Marmie needs to find some scheme that fits this D. Changing things up on a weekly basis is resulting in people getting confused.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Try as we might to leave it out, scheme is an important factor here. You will note that Chillar had 8 tackles to go with Pisa's dozen. That is because they are the only two LBs in the game when we go Nickel......which we did for most of the night. I'm disappointed in C&C as well, but they can't make tackles if they're not on the field.
    Agreed. You can't look at tackles and expect that to be the end-all-and-be-all of comparisons without looking at time on the field. We ran a lot of nickel against the Colts because of their three wide formation with Stokely. That has to be factored in, like it or not.

That said, whatever solid run defense the linebackers were responsible for early in the season has diminished. It would be interesting to examine how much of that is scheme and how much is their just being blown off the ball or blocked out of the play.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

moklerman is offline Registered User

Here's a couple of interesting(depressing?) stat's-

27th in yards per game allowed.
    32nd (dead last) in points per game allowed.

I gotta go with Marmie being the biggest problem at this point. We gave him the LB's he wanted and are running "his" defense. He's never been successful at the NFL level and the defense is a huge liability to the team at this point.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    Not to nitpick, but on the ESPN stats Chillar only has 5 tackles (4 solo and 1 assist).
    NFL.com has him with 8 (7 and 1)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Here's a couple of interesting(depressing?) stat's-

27th in yards per game allowed.
    32nd (dead last) in points per game allowed.

I gotta go with Marmie being the biggest problem at this point. We gave him the LB's he wanted and are running "his" defense. He's never been successful at the NFL level and the defense is a huge liability to the team at this point.
    This is a good point. Marmie got his guys and still hasn't been able to get the defense to make improvements, though it feigned being better early in the season. That's one of the reasons I think we should be shopping for a new defensive coach this offseason.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Yea Marmie is pathetic. We have talent on D but we suck on D!
    RamsFan16

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Outside of Little, SHOW ME THE TALENT ON MY DEFENSE. Anyone please, shed some light because I can't see a dad gum stud anywhere on this defense.

rampete is offline Registered User

are you kidding me!

who cares about number of tackles??

what i care about is are they a playmaker?!

i'd prefer a LB that can tip the pass, force a fumble or make a tackle in crucial situations...

maineram is offline Registered User

The thing that got me of the defensive side for this game was defensive players wearing wrist bands to know the different packages that they were running.

Come on people !!!!! We're not talking about a starting rookie QB. This is the second year in this defense and they need to wear wrist bands with plays on them so they can remember what to do ????

Sounds like we got some dumb as bricks defensive players or the so called,"scheme" isn't an organized scheme at all.

lesson then -
    1. We get rid of all defensive personnel that are too dumb to be in an organized system, and get all new players who can tie their own shoes.
    2. We get rid of the scheme, hire a new scheme and give them all the shoe test again.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    SHOW ME THE TALENT ON MY DEFENSE.
    TX says it's his D, I say fire TX.
    Last edited by HUbison; -10-19-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Outside of Little, SHOW ME THE TALENT ON MY DEFENSE. Anyone please, shed some light because I can't see a dad gum stud anywhere on this defense.
    Kennedy, Ivy, Green, Pisa - not studs in the current scheme, but they have talent.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I thought Marmie's D scheme was supposed to be very similar to the cover 2?

But I remember them saying it's more like having 2 free safeties, instead of a SS and a FS.

Can someone explain the difference between the cover 2 and this? (besides the fact that the cover 2 actually worked!)

I too don't agree why guys are wearing plays on their wrist. Didn't Lovie run a real simple scheme that worked? Why would this guy come in and change it? Why not go back to the cover 2?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast