Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Some interesting stats re: our rookie class

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Some interesting stats re: our rookie class

Here's a little statistical progress report.

Although Zac Stacy has only started one game (and had only 1 rushing attempt in the first four weeks), he is currently 9th in rushing among rookies (only 127 yards behind the leader, Gio Bernard).

Tavon Austin (who might be the leading punt returner in the NFL but for the many penalties), is first among rookies with 23 receptions. His yardage, as has been discussed at length, has been minimal. Nonetheless, he is in the top 10 (9th) among rookies in receiving yards.

Alec Ogletree is tied for 2nd among rookies in solo tackles and total tackles. He is also tied for first among rookies with 2 forced fumbles.
    RamDez, Nick and DE_Ramfan like this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Some interesting stats re: our rookie class

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Tavon Austin (who might be the leading punt returner in the NFL but for the many penalties),
    Tavon Austin has had an unbelieveble 193 punt return yards erased by penalty. He has 57 yards on the board. W/o penalties that's 250 yards to his credit. That would put him 3rd in the league behind McCluster (285) and Travis Benjamin (256).

They have GOT to clean up the penalties.
    RamDez, RealRam, thoey and 5 others like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Rookies are play well for sure. TJ was also playing good IMO, he misses on some tackles but he has a presences on the field that can;t be denied.

Yeah Tavon has shown he can return punts and have an impact this year. He left the locker room pissed and did not speak to the media. Fisher gave him a ST ball and told him what his number should be! I'm glad he is letting his teammates know this cannot continue happen. The next guy to get a flagged needs to be bench period.

I can't wait to see TA start to get free in the secondary. Loved his 25 yard catch and run!

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Do people still like Ray Ray?
    RamDez likes this.

Randart is online now Registered User

Yes he makes some mistakes but I really like the guy and love his hit abilities... Keep putting him in and coaching the guy up he will be awesome in a couple years!

RebelYell is online now Registered User

5 tackles
    4 penalties.

All on special teams. Ray Ray is short for the NFL if he keeps that up.
    RamDez and THOLTFAN81 like this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Rookies are play well for sure. TJ was also playing good IMO, he misses on some tackles but he has a presences on the field that can;t be denied.

Yeah Tavon has shown he can return punts and have an impact this year. He left the locker room pissed and did not speak to the media. Fisher gave him a ST ball and told him what his number should be! I'm glad he is letting his teammates know this cannot continue happen. The next guy to get a flagged needs to be bench period.

I can't wait to see TA start to get free in the secondary. Loved his 25 yard catch and run!
    This guy is fun to watch on the punt returns. I remember Leroy Irvin and of course Az....but this guy is special......I would think that if we keep seeing this the ST Coach should be changed. This type of penalty string is just unacceptable. We have been getting some pretty bad field position which has not worked well ofr our offense due to these penalties.

I know it will all come together....I hope sooner then later.......And I loved seeing that 25 yarder from Sam to Tavon....harbinger of things to come hopefully.......
    RealRam and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Here's a little statistical progress report.

Although Zac Stacy has only started one game (and had only 1 rushing attempt in the first four weeks), he is currently 9th in rushing among rookies (only 127 yards behind the leader, Gio Bernard).
    I was just on NFL dot com to see the final score from last night's game, and Zac is on the Fantasy highlight as a guy to pick up if your RB selections are weak. I hope this is not a SI Jinx.

gap

supachump is online now Registered User

Obviously, the ST penalties need to stop. I just can't believe they are still happening at such a regular basis. Granted some of the calls were borderline bogus.

As far as would-could-shoulda with Tavon and his punt returns. You cannot automatically assume if the penalty didn't happen, he would of netted all of those yards. Some of those blocks in the back would of resulted in Tavon getting pulled down far sooner than he was.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by supachump View Post
    Obviously, the ST penalties need to stop. I just can't believe they are still happening at such a regular basis. Granted some of the calls were borderline bogus.

As far as would-could-shoulda with Tavon and his punt returns. You cannot automatically assume if the penalty didn't happen, he would of netted all of those yards. Some of those blocks in the back would of resulted in Tavon getting pulled down far sooner than he was.
    I haven't studied every return, but I can tell you that the two called back on Sunday were not aided by the purportedly illegal blocks.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    This guy is fun to watch on the punt returns. I remember Leroy Irvin and of course Az....but this guy is special......I would think that if we keep seeing this the ST Coach should be changed. This type of penalty string is just unacceptable. We have been getting some pretty bad field position which has not worked well ofr our offense due to these penalties.

I know it will all come together....I hope sooner then later.......And I loved seeing that 25 yarder from Sam to Tavon....harbinger of things to come hopefully.......

I too, remember Leroy Irvin. A very good punt returner and corner. You know who else excelled as a punt returner back in the day? Henry Ellard. I believe he led the league one season.

Austin has indeed been sabotaged by his teammates on special teams. It has to stop, and his frustration is understandable. It's obvious the guy wants to break out in a big way. It's only a matter of time.

I think Ogletree is going to be a player. He's shown flashes of playmaking ability and is very active.

Zac Stacy is going to have to string some productive games together before I'm convinced he's a viable future option at the position.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I too, remember Leroy Irvin. A very good punt returner and corner. You know who else excelled as a punt returner back in the day? Henry Ellard. I believe he led the league one season.

Austin has indeed been sabotaged by his teammates on special teams. It has to stop, and his frustration is understandable. It's obvious the guy wants to break out in a big way. It's only a matter of time.

I think Ogletree is going to be a player. He's shown flashes of playmaking ability and is very active.

Zac Stacy is going to have to string some productive games together before I'm convinced he's a viable future option at the position.
    of course!!! loved watching Henry return punts!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    After jumping up and down, high fiving everybody, and screaming like there was no tomorrow following Austin's big punt return, I saw the pink flag, turned to Curly Horns and said, "What the hell were we thinking cheering after a punt return?" Austin isn't the only one who's frustration level has reached it's limit.
    Curly Horns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    After jumping up and down, high fiving everybody, and screaming like there was no tomorrow following Austin's big punt return, I saw the pink flag, turned to Curly Horns and said, "What the hell were we thinking cheering after a punt return?" Austin isn't the only one who's frustration level has reached it's limit.
    I know. I actually scanned the field before I started celebrating....those pink flags threw me off. I thought for sure we had a no penalty return....FINALLY!!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I haven't studied every return, but I can tell you that the two called back on Sunday were not aided by the purportedly illegal blocks.
    Unless you happen to see them in the broadcast, you won't see it, because CBS couldn't find them to show a replay. To me that says they didn't happen. I mean, the same guys block on kick returns, without a flag, so I speculate the officials are just trying to find anything that might closely justify a flag. And before you say I am a conspiracy guy, Coach Fisher agrees, and said so in a presser.

gap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast