Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Some Notes/Opinions from Bernie and Gordon

Bernie:

(On hiring Marmie)

Here's what Martz was thinking:

My buddy needs a job.

He gave me a good job a long time ago, and I owe him.

So I'll hire him to run the Rams defense.

And he'll be loyal to me.

Dick Jauron wants the job, and he'd be the better hire, but I owe Larry.

That's what Martz was thinking.

--B

-----

Rams defensive players were shaking their heads after the game... astounded by Marmie's incompetent scheme -- which included having the CBs play well off the ball, giving the Ariz WRs the equivalent of layups.

He's awful.

I cannot wait for a new coaching staff to take over this team next year.

--B

-----

(On Bulger's injury)

Vitt said the injury wasn't as bad as the last one....

Others in the organization with more credibility tell me Bulger is probably out for 3-4 weeks.

They will know more in the next couple of days.

--B

-----

I doubt Fitzpatrick will get a chance.
    Martz was way up on him but I don't think others are quite as enthusiastic.

As for Warner's claw... pretty easy to hold onto the ball when no one touches you.

--B
    Jeff Gordon:

Vitt wasn't sure about Bulger, who was officially out of a "bruised" shoulder. Saipaia had a concussion. He was so unresponsive at first that they feared a neck injury, but that was OK.

-----

Yeah, it's time to ponder the head coaching search and the draft. Deciding to who re-sign and who to ditch won't be hard. Look for a defensive-minded head coach to take over and leave the offensive staff largely as is, to keep the system intact.

-----

(On Warner)

He is still pretty good when he gets time, eh? But he is prone to tipped passes, sacks and the occasional turnover. His hand and his shoulder looked fine, when he had time to operate.

-----

Boldin and Fitzgerald are awesome! Any team would like that sort of size. However, Holt, Bruce and Curtis were outstanding as well in this game. At some point a big receiver might be a nice addition, but displacing one of these three next season would be tough.

-----

(On Vitt's field goal choice)

With that much time left, he wanted to bank the three, then make a defensive stop while burning the remaining timeouts. He hoped to get the ball back with more than 2 minutes left. "I was playing for the win," he said. He did not count on that kickoff return . . .

-----

Vitt said the Gridbirds didn't do anything unusual with their blitzing. Just the usual safety blitz, plus some occasional safety/LB blitz. The Rams just didn't pick it up well enough. Martin got pounded, too.

-----

Vitt points out that the Rams tried to run the ball, but couldn't. "They suffed us," he said. "Give them credit." When you have give yards on 11 carries, there isn't much point in continuing to run against eight men in the box.

-----

(On Fitzpatrick)

The Rams may be a few weeks away from using him, unless the current coaching staff believes he gives them the best chance to win. As interim coaches, their interest in developing players for next year isn't as great.

-----

Bulger said earlier this week that the Rams would have to use the pass to set up the run. Yes, the Gridbirds forced the Rams to pass the ball by moving their safety into run-support and blitzing position. And they lived to tell about it.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: Some Notes/Opinions from Bernie and Gordon

3 to 4 weeks on Bulger injury holy crap, things just get worse...

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

rampete Guest

well, i've gotta give it to marmie...he's consistent at what he does best...

SFCRamFan Guest

Rams defensive players were shaking their heads after the game... astounded by Marmie's incompetent scheme -- which included having the CBs play well off the ball, giving the Ariz WRs the equivalent of layups.
    What's this?? More anonymous talking to reporters??

jkramsfan Guest

i wouldnt be surprized if bulger was done for the season, he looked like he was hurting.

general counsel is offline Registered User

No rush, he is the key to our ability to come back next year, assuming of course, the defense improves to at least be better than the univ of miami defense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

onslaught11 Guest

2005 Rams:

P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C