Rambos is online now Registered User

Some notes from the Rams combine

By Gregg Rosenthal

We have good news for Zac Stacy's fantasy owners. The St. Louis Rams running back isn't going to see a lesser role in year two; the Rams see him as a workhorse.

"He should be more productive (in '14) because he should have more carries," Rams general manager Les Snead said when asked if Stacy's role would transfer over to a new season.

It would be hard for Stacy to touch the ball more per-start than he did last season, when he had 250 carries in only 12 starts. The key here: The Rams expect him to start all 16 games in 2014. Despite being a sixth-round pick, the Rams see Stacy as a foundation to build around.

Some other notes from the Rams:

» Snead made it sound like the Rams were in no hurry to release cornerback Cortland Finnegan despite Finnegan's huge $10 million cap number. Coach Jeff Fisher later confirmed it.

"He's healthy now," Fisher said of Finnegan. "We expect him back in the offseason program."

That's surprising news. Perhaps the Rams are confident that Finnegan will eventually agree to a pay cut or perhaps they just don't feel the need to make the decision before free agency. The Rams have a lot of cap room available.

"The nice thing about our situation cap-wise ... we're not walking around scrambling that we got to do anything to function, Snead said.

He said the Rams don't have to make a "non-football decision" on Finnegan, then pointed out Finnegan's injury problems last year was a factor in his poor play. Snead went on to say you "can't have enough corners" that can also play inside and that the team wanted to see how Finnegan fits with the Rams defense under new coordinator Gregg Williams.

As NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport points out, the Rams might want to see if Finnegan gets his legs back before they make a final decision on his status.

» Snead addressed whether taking a premier pass rusher (Jadeveon Clowney) was an option despite already having great players at the position. Snead said you "better have a plan" for how to get everyone on the field if you go that route.

» Snead says Jeff Fisher has no "philosophy" against taking offensive lineman high in the draft despite never drafting a first-round pick on the offensive line. Snead said the two have "laughed" about it. Taking a tackle wouldn't be a surprise at No. 2.

» Fisher says he has "no concern" about the team possibly moving to Los Angeles.

» Snead said he "wasn't losing sleep" over Jake Long's torn ACL and that he knows he'll be back this season, if not as fast as Sam Bradford. Long is not at risk of losing his job.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Some notes from the Rams combine

Given how poorly Finnegan played before his injury, keeping him on with that cap number would be a pretty awful decision. While it does remain to be seen whether or not he'll restructure/be cut, I don't like hearing that they're even considering keeping him on at that number.

I said it earlier during the season, that I was concerned that Fisher might be too loyal to Finnegan. I really hope that I'm going to be wrong. If I'm not, it seems like this could be a case study on why not to bring in players who you're very attached to.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Given how poorly Finnegan played before his injury, keeping him on with that cap number would be a pretty awful decision. While it does remain to be seen whether or not he'll restructure/be cut, I don't like hearing that they're even considering keeping him on at that number.

I said it earlier during the season, that I was concerned that Fisher might be too loyal to Finnegan. I really hope that I'm going to be wrong. If I'm not, it seems like this could be a case study on why not to bring in players who you're very attached to.
    "As NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport points out, the Rams might want to see if Finnegan gets his legs back before they make a final decision on his status."

It's really as simple as the above statement.

Finnegan could potentially come back and be a very productive corner, like he was fairly recently. It doesn't hurt to see how Finnegan fairs coming back healthy and under Gregg Williams. They can still cut him or restructure his contract after they get a feel for his level of play.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I wouldn't mind seeing him come back at a discounted rate, with some good incentives built into his contract maybe.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Love the news about Stacy. Finnegan needs to be restructured. What a liability he was.

thoey is offline Registered User

It would be hard for Stacy to touch the ball more per-start than he did last season, when he had 250 carries in only 12 starts.
    Hmmm... 250 touches in 12 games. 20 touches a game. Ummm... Yeah, he could easily do more...
    This space for rent...

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post

Hmmm... 250 touches in 12 games. 20 touches a game. Ummm... Yeah, he could easily do more...
    No other NFL RB had more than 20 carriers per game. Why should Stacy?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I always take coaches' comments about certain players in the off season with a grain of salt. Most coaches will never publicly denounce a player. There is nothing to be gained by bad mouthing Cortland Finnegan for his poor year in 2013- even if the coaches believe he WAS poor. If they feel that way, we'll know soon enough when he's released.

Conversely, when a coach builds up a player, he not only soothes that player's ego and justifies his worth but he plants the seed that the guy is very good so if and when they try to deal him there is significant interest from other clubs.

Also regarding Saffold, if you believe most GM's, every player on a roster has a dollar value assigned to them by the club. The club will not go over that figure and alter their budget. If Rodger demands more than what he's allotted under their budget, he's gone. That said, it would be a mistake to lose Saffold given our once again tenuous offensive line situation. Rams management needs to be creative and somehow keep him from leaving.

kman is offline Registered User

trust me, Finnegan will not be making that much $ this year..theres no panic, they have until June to figure his deal out..i think he likes playing for fisher, and as snead said you can t have enough cb's in this league..he will just get adrastic pay cut but I bet he will be back

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    This shows how the NFL game has changed. Used to be the top runningback for teams would carry the ball at least 20 times and more.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Question how much of Finnegan's lack of good plays was him and how much was it the defensive scheme? I seem to recall there is a new DC in town where as the old one was seen leaving town talking to himself.

As a business decision, some kind of restructure would be in order. Perhaps incentive heavy with excellent payoffs for meeting obtainable goals...there seems to be a strong vote of confidence with the higher-ups with regards to Finnegan. Wonder what they know that we don't?

Stacy, the workhorse, I can see that, but can the Rams find Gold again should he gets injured? Pead just doesn't seem to fit the build and comes up short. Perhaps 2014 will be his year--maybe not. It would be a good thing if the Rams have a plan B for a power RB
    Last edited by Ram Dragoon; -02-25-2014 at 09:45 PM.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I always take coaches' comments about certain players in the off season with a grain of salt. Most coaches will never publicly denounce a player. There is nothing to be gained by bad mouthing Cortland Finnegan for his poor year in 2013- even if the coaches believe he WAS poor. If they feel that way, we'll know soon enough when he's released.

Conversely, when a coach builds up a player, he not only soothes that player's ego and justifies his worth but he plants the seed that the guy is very good so if and when they try to deal him there is significant interest from other clubs.

Also regarding Saffold, if you believe most GM's, every player on a roster has a dollar value assigned to them by the club. The club will not go over that figure and alter their budget. If Rodger demands more than what he's allotted under their budget, he's gone. That said, it would be a mistake to lose Saffold given our once again tenuous offensive line situation. Rams management needs to be creative and somehow keep him from leaving.
    Yeah, too bad they don't do sign and trades in football. That way, at least we could get something coming back.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    This shows how the NFL game has changed. Used to be the top runningback for teams would carry the ball at least 20 times and more.
    Yeah, you are probably right. I was thinking old school when 20+ was the average for a star back...
    This space for rent...