Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By Nick
  • 2 Post By tomahawk247
  • 1 Post By RAMarkable
  • 2 Post By RockinRam

Thread: Some observations

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Some observations

-Talk about a defensive match-up. Neither offense looked great today, but the Bears's offense made more of their opportunities than the Rams did and certainly made more plays defensively.

-Sam Bradford didn't get much help out there today, specifically with dropped passes in the first half. But he also exhibited some bad habits of holding onto the ball too long and throwing into some dangerous situations. Still, his issues were more a symptom of the offense's larger problems.

-There was nothing to really speak of in the running game today. The occasional decent run was outnumbered by short sputters that Chicago stopped quickly. Steven Jackson fought through a groin injury to average 2.6 yards per carry. Richardson showed better speed and should be in the mix more, but that's hard to do when the offense fails to sustain drives.

-This is the Brandon Gibson Rams fans are more used to seeing. The early game drop on the deep left sideline pass was inexcusable. The Rams desperately needed some receivers to get open and make plays, but it wasn't happening. Chicago didn't get the memo that they were supposed to play soft zones all day like Washington did.

-The offensive line, gosh what can you say? Quinn Ojinnaka shouldn't be starting in the National Football League. I suspect there was a reason he was cut the first time this season, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Rams did it again. He looked awful today in both run and pass blocking. Barry Richardson had some moments he'd like to forget as well. Even Harvey Dahl had disappointing moments. Maybe it's an obvious point that applies to every NFL team, but it's one that needs to be restated after a game like today - the Rams' success in 2012 will largely depend on how well or how poorly the offensive line plays on any given Sunday.

-Defensively, I thought the Rams played about as well as you'd like considering how long they were on the field. They allowed only one offensive touchdowns, made some nice stands when it mattered, came up with another interception and should have had at least one more. They apparently go down in history as the first team to force Jay Cutler into having two bad games back to back, something we were told never happens (sorry, had to!). Bush had some nice runs but his overall production was very average.

-The defensive line did not get as much pressure as I would have liked, considering what the Packers were able to do to this OL unit last week. Having said that, Cutler wasn't exactly sitting back in a comfortable pocket all day, either. Chris Long looks poised for another big year; he came into this game among the lead leaders in hurries, and added his first two sacks of the season. Quinn had to be chipped and held at times to keep him at bay. Still waiting for more push up the middle.

-Maybe the bad is just standing out in my head more than the good, but I thought this linebacker unit as a whole didn't have a great day. Too often, Laurinaitis looked slow to react and did not hold his ground well at the point of contact. The Bears converted on a fourth down run because Laurinaitis was run over by Michael Bush. Mario Haggan's biggest impact was on a stupid penalty that gave Chicago an extended opportunity for points. Dunbar had some nice stops in run defense, but no real big plays. McIntosh continues to show up on the stat sheet, but I feel like I hardly ever see him while watching the game live. Still, Bush put up average numbers in the run game and things didn't come easy for Cutler, so maybe I'm being too hard here.

-I felt pretty good about the secondary today. Finnegan grabbed his third interception of the season and has some nice moments in coverage. Jenkins continues to look like a talented rookie - making nice plays at times, but also making some strange ones. He'll get there. Darian Stewart helped extend a Chicago drive with a roughing the passer penalty that, for the briefest of moments, made me miss Craig Dahl until I snapped back into reality.

-I don't know who came up with it initially, but I would like to officially move to have Greg Zuerlein's nickname be "Legatron." Hekker needs a fancy nickname as well, because he's doing very well out there.

-Earlier this past week, I offered up some praise for Brian Schottenheimer and the job he's done on offense as well as for Paul Boudreau's work with the offensive line. Maybe that was premature. The offensive line did not look like a unit that was coached up today, especially when arguably our best lineman (Dahl) is out there making mistakes. As for Schotty, this was not a great gameplan to attack the Bears. Five wide sets and poorly executed screen passes, too few rollouts or other adjustments to help buy time for Bradford. I know not having the personnel can make it difficult, but surely there were some other options in the hundreds of pages of calls than what we saw today.

This game served as a reminder that the Rams are still a work in progress, but one that is on the right path as they are capable of competing with even the better teams in the league, even when things are going poorly. Hopefully they can regroup and get a divisional win next week!

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Some observations

Great game summary Nick. Spot on and complete.

The one thing that really stuck out for me was the fact that last week we had no dropped balls, and this week it looked like everybody, even Amendola, seemed to have the dropsies. Hope that gets cleaned up for next week.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

As usual, a nice summary of everything- accurately depicting the good and the bad. I'm certainly not happy with the result, but I can't get nuts either because realistically, asking a team that was 2-14 last year to go into Chicago and beat a team considered to be a playoff team is a tall order. We hung in there into the 4th quarter 'till the wheels came off. But success will only be sporadic if the offensive line and the receiving corps fail to positively distinguish themselves.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I said in another topic that if Zuerlein is "Legatron", then Hekker should be "Puntimus Prime"
    Nick and RockinRam like this.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Only bright spot today, was The specials team. They stopped Hester and our kicers are awesome.

JFMose is offline Registered User

We're going with Legatron? I'm with that

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Some observations

Spot on analysis sir...

live4ramin is offline Registered User

How about Johnny "The Howitzer" Hekker?
    Kiss my ass, football gods

.....or "Johnny Lawn Dart"?

"Hang time"?

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Or Johnny Hekker-uva punter....
    live4ramin likes this.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I have to say that I didn't like the play calling. Too many drives were run,run, sack,punt. They need to show more deception. Several times when the Rams did play-action, it slowed the defense just enough to loosen things up. I understand the Rams were playing it conservative just trying to hang in there, but the line didn't open holes and couldn't pass block in passing situations. We can't be conservative if we can't execute the basics very well.

I especially didn't like the 3 and 1 roll out pass that only put one reciever on the roll out side of the field, 10 yards down field. Sam was hurried just a bit and the reciever was covered like a blanket. We then failed on a 4th and 1 play.

The Rams need to find a way to better cover up their weak offensive line.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    I have to say that I didn't like the play calling. Too many drives were run,run, sack,punt.
    I think that if you look harder inside that pudding you posted, you might find the proof.

The line didn't open holes and couldn't pass block in passing situations. We can't be conservative if we can't execute the basics very well.The Rams need to find a way to better cover up their weak offensive line.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

IMO, Laurinaitis this year has not performed to the level I expected him to. He looks considerably sloppier than the years before. Yes I know he had a good amount of tackles today statistically, but overall he should be making more of an impact and not giving up the easy plays.

Hopefully he gets back into his prime mindset because we need him if we are ever going to want to stop the run.
    Last edited by RockinRam; -09-24-2012 at 02:59 AM.
    live4ramin and UK Ramfan 83 like this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Nice work as always Nick.

I know we struggled running the ball, but I was surprised we did not keep at it like we did in Detroit, SJ 11 carries and Richardson only 4. For a team that said they where going to run the ball no matter what they seemed to bail on the run.