Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Some of our Rams Historical Moments

Great read, especially for a guy like myself who has very little access to old footage etc

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Thanks anyone I do enjoy being here very much a part of my life and it makes me happy that you all enjoyed the post , sorry about 95 to present it so recent I thought most all would know ...

O.K . Part #2 has been posted hope all enjoy ???

Attachment 805 Attachment 806

Attachment 807
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -07-04-2006 at 12:56 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

JIMMY EVERETT WAS ON THE COVER OF SPORTS ILLUSTRATED WEARING A FUR COAT, THEREFORE THE JINX WAS ALREADY MADE FOR US! --Curley4me
    Not that it matters much but, being that we're into history -- BTW, great job, ORF-- I thought I'd correct a little historical fact of the printed page.

So, for what it's worth, it was on the cover of GQ, not SI, that Jimmy was pictured with a fancy fur coat over the Rams uniform.

There was so much expectation for Rams fans that year. :1:

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Warrior
    I can say this about OldRamFan, Ive known him since 1972. He loves this site and the people in it !!!It saddens me to see someone on this site say that about the last part of his post was crap, He and some his family have been around the rams since they began in Cleveland.Txramsfan thanks for our comments they are well deserved ! I think it was a great post knowing the heart from which it came. Nice post old friend. I hope your feeling better ?
    I am sorry about my post, I must have been in a bad mood or in a hurry. "Crap" was obviously the wrong word to say, but I did not mean it as this is crap. The word "crap" meant the way the 1995-Present was arranged. Again, I am sorry OldRamFan, it is a great post and a youngin like me enjoyed reading about the past. Sorry for posting with my head up my ***. eace:

Oh, and I obviously know how much of a devoted Rams fan OldsRamsFan is just by the creation of this great list. I don't see how anyone interpreted my first post as an attack on OldsRamsFan's love for the Rams.
    Last edited by RAM-BO; -04-20-2006 at 05:50 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ahhh, a growth step RAM-BO. Good job.

Ram Warrior Guest

I know oldramsfan well and I know he did not take any offence to your post,thats why he never said anything and he posted the 2nd half. some that know him here a long with some who know him personally know how much and how long has loved the rams over 40+ years. Most don't know how connected he and his family was with rams and he's the type that wont boost about it. You made a great post and I know he will respond , great reply young Man truly stand up !

RealRam is offline Registered User

Feel the love. :up: Feel the respect. Mutual Ramhood.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    I am sorry about my post, I must have been in a bad mood or in a hurry. "Crap" was obviously the wrong word to say, but I did not mean it as this is crap. The word "crap" meant the way the 1995-Present was arranged. Again, I am sorry OldRamFan, it is a great post and a youngin like me enjoyed reading about the past. Sorry for posting with my head up my ***. eace:

Oh, and I obviously know how much of a devoted Rams fan OldsRamsFan is just by the creation of this great list. I don't see how anyone interpreted my first post as an attack on OldsRamsFan's love for the Rams.
    No need to say your sorry , your post was what you thought of the last part of the post and you where right it should have been complete but I was not feeling very well and cut it short with all things said GO !RAMS !, Thank you for your reply post it was very nice youngRamsFan Its nice to see respect from from the younger generation it does not seem to be high point these days thank you again and no problems here ...

Quote Originally Posted by OldRamsfan
    No need to say your sorry , your post was what you thought of the last part of the post and you where right it should have been complete but I was not feeling very well and cut it short with all things said GO !RAMS !, Thank you for your reply post it was very nice youngRamsFan Its nice to see respect from from the younger generation it does not seem to be high point these days thank you again and no problems here ...
    Well, I felt like apologizing, but thanks.

Your welcome ! excepted with open horns LOL ...

Quote Originally Posted by OldRamsfan
    Your welcome ! excepted with open horns LOL ...
    Ouch, sounds painful! LOL

rams#1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OldRamsfan View Post
    I do this from time to time I hope no one minds , this is fun for me to do and I hope others enjoy the reading... I have been asked to write my experiences as a ram fan over the last 40 + years the players Ive meet and watched play , Iam about 1/2 thru it as free time is hard to find at times... Hope you enjoy ?

Historical Moments:

1946: With the arrival of the defending NFL Champion Rams, Los Angeles finally had a major professional team. The new Los Angeles Rams proved to be ahead of their time right away as they signed halfback Kenny Washington, and WR Woody Strode. The two became the first black players to play in the NFL since the NFL instituted a ban on black players in 1932. On September 29th the city of Los Angeles hosted its first game at the historic Los Angels Memorial Coliseum, which hosted the 1932 Olympics. In the first official NFL game at the Coliseum the Rams were defeated by the Philadelphia Eagles 25-14. After a win and a tie oh the road, the Rams got their first LA win on October 20th against the Detroit Lions. However the Rams would lose 3 of their next 5, as hopes for a repeat NFL Championship faded. The Rams would close their first season in Los Angeles with a 6-4-1 record.

1947: Owner Dan F. Reeves assumes GM duties after Charlie Walsh reigns. He would name Bob Snyder to replace Adam Walsh who also resigned. Under coach Snyder the Rams would be hobbled by injuries all season finishing with a 6-6 record.

1948: The Rams enter the season with a new coach and a new look. The new look comes courtesy of HB Fred Gehrke, an industrial design artist in the off-season. Gehrke had designed yellow horns on the side of the helmet making the Rams the first NFL team to have a team insignia or logo on their helmet; by 1960 all teams with the exception of 1 would have it. The new look Rams were led on to the field by Charles Shaughnessy when Bb Snyder resigned 19 days before the start of the season. After winning and tie their first 2 games the Rams struggled mightily losing 4 of 5. However the Rams would finish strongly by winning 4 of 5 to post a 6-5-1 record.

1949: The Rams get off to a flying start winning their first 6 games. The winning streak was capped by a 27-24 victory over the Chicago Bears before a Rams record crowd of 86,080 in Los Angles Memorial Coliseum. The Rams would hold on to the Western Division Championship by going 2-2-2 over their final 6 games. In the NFL Championship Game played at the Coliseum heavy rain and a sloppy field combine to slow down the Rams offense as teh Philadelphia Eagles win the NFL Championship with a 14-0 win.

1950: Under new coach Joe Stydahar the Rams set 22 offensive records rolling to a 9-3 record, which was good enough to earn them a first place tie with Chicago Bears for the Western Division Championship. A high flying passing game with star recievers Tom Fears, and Elroy "Crazy Legs" Hirsch keyed the Rams offensive power. The Rams failed to score 30 in only 4 of their 12 games that included a 70 point and 65 point performance in consecutive weeks. In the Division Championship the Rams got revenge for 2 earlier losses by beating the Bears 24-14 to advance to the NFL Championship Game. In the Championship Game the Rams returned to Cleveland to face the Browns. The Rams and Browns would battle back and forth all game before Lou Groza's late field goal gave the Browns a 30-28 win.

1951: Norm Van Brocklin assumes duties at QB as the Rams offense continues to be the best in the NFL. The Rams would break the 40-point mark 6 times while compiling a 9-3 win for the Western Division Championship. In the NFL Championship Game the Rams earned a rematch with the Cleveland Browns, with the game being played in the Coliseum. The game was tied at 17 until Van Brocklin hit Tom Fears with a 73-yard bomb to give the Rams a 24-17 win, and the city of Los Angeles its first Major Sports Championship.

1952: After a 37-7 season opening loss in Cleveland to the Browns, coach Joe Stydahar suddenly reigned; he would be replaced by Hampton Pool. Under Pool the Rams lose 2 of 3 getting uses to a new system. However, once the Rams got acclimated to their coach they would begin to fire on all cylinders winning their final 8 to earn a tie for the Division title with Detroit Lions. However the Rams season would end with a 31-21 loss to the Detroit Lions in the Division Playoff game.

1953: The Rams would post an impressive 8-3-1 record, while finishing in 3rd Place in the Western Division. However, they were left to wonder what if as they lost by a title of 8 points in their 3 losses.

1954: After a disappointing 6-5-1 season, Hampton Pool and all the Rams assistant coaches resign. Pool would be replaced by University of Cincinnati coach Sid Gillman.

1955: In Sid Gillman's first year as Head Coach the Rams use tough defense and clutch Field Goal kicking from Les Richter to capture the Western Division Title with an 8-3-1 record. Previously Richter was best known for the 1952 trade in which the Dallas Texans traded him to the Rams for 11 players. In the NFL Championship Game the Rams would be defeated by the Cleveland Browns 38-14 at the Coliseum.

1956: After winning their first game of the season the Rams struggle mightily losing 8 of their next 9, on their way to a 4-8 record, for their first losing season since moving to Los Angeles.

1957: Former Rams publicist Pete Rozelle assumes GM duties as the Rams play mediocre football on the way to a 6-6 season. The season would be highlighted by a November 10th 37-24 win over the San Francisco ***** in which a regular season record 102,368 fans attend the game at the Coliseum.

1958: After a preseason trade sent QB Norm Van Brocklin to the Philadelphia Eagles, Bill Wade steps in and sets several team passing records, as the Rams finish the season with a solid 8-4 record.

1959: Despite a strong season from powerhouse FB Ollie Matson, the Rams struggle through a 2-10 season their worst since their very first season in 1937. Following the disappointing season in which the Rams lost their last 8, Head Coach Sid Gillman resigns.

1960: After the death of NFL Commissioner Bert Bell, Rams GM Pete Rozelle is named to replace him. Rozelle would hold the position for nearly 3 decades making the NFL the biggest sports league in the world, and becoming one of the most powerful men in sports history. Replacing Rozelle, as GM was former WR Elroy "crazy legs" Hirsch. Hirsch would name former QB Bob Waterfield as the teams head coach hoping for a return to past glory. However, the Rams would struggle and finish with a 4-7-1 record.

1961: In a year of transition the Rams trade Bill Wade, Del Shofner, and John Guzik to the Chicago Bears, for 2 players and a draft pick. The Rams would go on to finish with a horrendous 4-10 record.

1962: The Rams have 2 of the top 3 picks and select QB Roman Gabriel and DT Merlin Olsen. The two would go on to star for the Rams for the next decade. However, their first season was one to forget as the Rams only win 1 game in a miserable 1-12-1 season.

1963: After a 0-5 start Roman Gabrielle gets back his starting QB job and leads the Rams to a 5-4 record in the final 9 games of the season. That year also saw the Rams acquire Rosey Grier form the New York Giants. Grier would join Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, and Lamar Lundy to form the original Fearsome Foursome.

1964: Deacon Jones unofficially records first 20-sack season in league history with 22, as the Rams defense begins to grab headlines. However the Rams would still struggle to finish with a 5-7-2 record.

1965: After winning only 1 of their first 10 games, the Rams take 3 of their last 4 against the top teams in each conference. However coach Harland Svare is dismissed following the season.

1966: After a court fight, George Allen is released by George Halas from his assistant coaching duties with the Chicago Bears to become head coach of the Rams. In Allen's first season the team shows some promise posting an 8-6 record, ending a 7-year string of losing seasons.

1967: The Rams get off to a quick start by winning their first 3 games. The Rams winning streak would come to an end in week 4 with a 27-24 loss to the San Francisco ***** at the Coliseum. After the Rams tied the next 2 games, they picked up right where they were at the start of the season and won their last 8 games to capture the Coastal Division Championship with a 11-1-2 record. However, in the Western Conference Championship the Rams would fall 28-7 to the Packers, on the frozen tundra in Green Bay.

1968: Led by the Fearsome Foursome, the Rams set a record for the fewest yards allowed in a 14 game season, as the Rams post an impressive 10-3-1 season. However, the Rams would finish 2nd in the Coastal Division to the 13-1 Baltimore Colts.

1969: Led by QB Roman Gabriel who is the unanimous choice as NFL's Most Valuable Player, the Rams win their 2nd Coastal Division Title in 3 years with an 11-3 record. However the Rams would fall in the Western Conference Championship game 23-20 to the Vikings in Minnesota.

1970: With the AFL-NFL merger now complete the Rams find themselves in the NFC Western Division. The Rams begin the NFL's new era with a solid 9-4-1 season, but it is only good enough for 2nd place in the NFC West. Following the season Coach George Allen's contract is not renewed, and he moves on to coach the Washington Redskins.

1971:On April 15th, the Rams lose their patriarch when longtime owner Dan F. Reeves succumbs to cancer. His longtime friend and business associate, William A. Barnes, becomes President and General Manager. The Rams would go through a test too playing the NFL's toughest schedule the Rams finish with an 8-5-1 record under new coach Tommy Prothro good enough for 2nd place in the NFC West.

1972: In a history-making move, Baltimore Colts owner Carroll Rosenbloom trades the Baltimore franchise to Robert Irsay in exchange for the Rams. Irsay had purchased the Rams from the estate of the late Dan Reeves. The transaction was completed and announced on July 14th. Rosenbloom, the most successful owner in the NFL over the last two decades, brings with him to Los Angeles Don Klosterman, Rosenbloom’s general manager in Baltimore. After 6-7-1 season, all coaches are dismissed.

1973: The Rams return to the classic blue and colors last worn in 1963, as Detroit Lions assistant Chuck Knox assumes the coaching duties. Meanwhile there is a change on the field too as QB Roman Gabriel is traded away, after former San Diego Chargers QB John Hadl is signed. Hadl would have a stellar season leading the Rams to a 12-2 record, which captured the NFC Western Division Championship. However, in the Divisional Playoffs the Rams would fall to the Cowboys 27-16 in Dallas.

1974: After 3-2 start, the Rams trade QB John Hadl to Green Bay for 5 draft picks in a bold move that stuns football world. Hadl's backup, James Harris, becomes the starter and leads the Rams to 10-4 record, for its 2nd straight NFC West title. In the Divisional Playoffs the Rams get their first playoff win in 23 years by beating the George Allen coached Washington Redskins 19-10 at the Coliseum. However a week later the Rams would fall in Minnesota 14-10 as the Vikings earned a tip to Super Bowl IX.

1975: Led by Jack Youngblood the Rams allow the 2nd fewest points in NFL history during a 14-game season. The strong defense paves the way to a 3rd straight NFC West title with a 12-2 record. In the Divisional Playoffs the Rams defeat the St. Louis Cardinals 35-23 at the Coliseum. However, a week later the Rams would be stunned at the Coliseum 37-7 by the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC Championship Game.

1976: Injuries force another change at QB, as rookie Pat Haden takes over the reigns. However, the Rams offense dose not skip a beat scoring a NFC high 351 points reroute to a 10-31 record good enough for their 4th straight NFC West title. In the Divisional Playoffs the Rams get a bit of revenge by beating the Cowboys 14-12 in Dallas. However a week later the Rams would fall in Minnesota 24-13 to the Vikings.

1977: The Rams acquire legendary QB Joe Namath, however due to injury he sees hardly any action on the field. Meanwhile seating capacity at the Coliseum being reduced from 91,038 to 71,039, as the Rams win the 5th straight NFC West Title with a 10-4 record. However the Rams would make a quick exit in the playoffs losing to the Minnesota Vikings 14-7 at the Coliseum.

1978: With Chuck Knox leaving to coach the Buffalo Bills, the Rams rehire George Allen. However his tenure would end before it even begins as he fired in the preseason. With Ray Malavasi now holding the coaching reigns the Rams win their 6th straight Division Championship with an impressive 12-4 record. The Rams would advance to the NFC Championship Game with a 34-14 rout of the Minnesota Vikings at the Coliseum. How a week later the Rams would be embarrassed at the Coliseum 28-0 by the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC Championship Game.

1979: On April 2nd owner Carroll Rosenbloom dies and ownership of the Rams is turned over to widow Georgia Frontiere. The Rams limped through most of the season and sat 5-6 through the first 11 games. An injury to QB Pat Haden forced an inexperienced Vince Ferragamo on to the field. The Rams would find away to win 4 straight, and would win their 7th straight NFC West Title with a 9-7 record. With the team still banged up not much was thought of the Rams chances in the playoffs. However the Rams would play inspired football in stunning the Cowboys 21-19 in Dallas. Pushing to inspire the Rams was Jack Youngblood who played the game with a fractured fibula. A week later in the Rams 5th NFC Championship Game appearance in 6 years the Rams would finally get to the Super Bowl with a 9-0 win over the surprising Buccaneers in a rain soaked Tamp Bay.

Super Bowl XIV: Heading into Super Bowl XIV the Rams were 10.5-point underdogs to the Pittsburgh Steelers who were seeking the 4th Super Bowl Championship in 6 years. The Rams were still hobbling, and facing one of the greatest teams in NFL history, but they would have at least one advantage, and that would be the crowd, with game being played at the Rose Bowl in the Los Angels suburb of Pasadena. The home crowd helped the gutsy Rams hold a tenuous 19-17 lead heading into the 4th Quarter. (The Rams lead would have been larger but PK Frank Corral missed 2 PATs.) However in 4th Quarter the Rams magic ride would come to an end as Terry Bradshaw engineered 2 TD drives to give the Steelers a 31-19 victory over the gutsy Rams.

1980: After losing their first 2 games, the Rams rebound nicely and go on to post an 11-5 record as the Rams routinely sellout the cozier Anaheim Stadium. However, it is not enough for another NFC West title, and the Rams are forced to settle for a Wild Card spot. In the Wild Card round the Rams season would end with a 34-13 loss to the Cowboys in Dallas.

1981: Wendell Tyler rushes for 1,074 yards and ties Elroy Hirsch's club record of 17 touchdowns in a season. However, the Rams struggle all season and miss the playoff for the first time in 9 years with a 6-10 record.

1982: Prior to the season the Rams acquire Bert Jones for the Baltimore Colts. However Jones struggled early and the Rams sat at 0-2 when the NFL went on strike. When the season returned 2 months later Jones did not fair better and was forced to shut it down after a 1-4 start. After a loss dropped the Rams to 1-5, they returned to the Coliseum for the first time in 3 years to face the Raiders who were playing their first season in Los Angeles. The Rams would battle the Raiders all day but would come up short in a 37-31 heartbreaker. A week later Vince Ferragamo throws for 509 yards at Anaheim against the Chicago Bears, the second highest game in league history. However the Rams still lost the game. The Rams would win their last game a week later, but still finished with the worst record in the NFC at 2-7. Following the season coach Ray Malavasi is dismissed.

1983: Spearheading one of the most dramatic turnarounds in NFL history, Rams owner Georgia Frontiere hires former USC Coach John Robinson in February, while a revamped front office engineers a dozen off-season trades, as Eric Dickerson is drafted in 1st round. John Robinson installs new offense (single back) and new defense (3-4-4) as the Rams finish with a 9-7 record, good enough for a Wild Card berth. In the Wild Card game the Rams defeat the Cowboys 24-17 in Dallas, to advance to the Division Round. However a week later the Redskins would humiliate them 51-7 in Washington.

1984: Led by Eric Dickerson who establishes a new NFL single season record with 2,105 yards rushing the Rams make the playoffs for the second year in a row with a solid 10-6 record. In the Wild Card game Anaheim Stadiums plays host to its first playoff game as the Rams are stunned by the New York Giants 16-13 in front of a record crowd of 67,03.

1985: An improved defense and special teams play key roles in the Rams reclaiming the NFC West title with an 11-5 record. Among the many highlights of the season is Ron Brown, who electrifies the Anaheim Stadium crowd by returning 2 kickoffs for touchdowns against Green Bay Packers to tie NFL record in Week 12. In the Divisional Playoffs the Rams would shutdown the Dallas Cowboys 20-0 for their first playoff win at Anaheim Stadium, as Eric Dickerson sets NFL playoff record by rushing for 248 yards. However a week later the Rams would be sacrificial lambs for the unstoppable Bears who beat them 24-0 in Chicago for the NFC Championship.

1986: The Rams acquire rookie QB Jim Everett from the Houston Oilers prior to the season. Everett's debut would come in Week 10 when he touchdown passes in a 30-28 loss at home to the New England Patriots. Everett would go on to start the final 5 games of the season winning his first 3 before losing a showdown in overtime to Dan Marino and the Miami Dolphins. The Rams would also lose their final game of the season with division on the line, but with a 10-6 record the rams made the playoffs for the 4th straight season. In the Wild Card game against the Redskins the Rams would fall 19-7 in Washington as Jim Everett got a cold taste of reality in his first playoff game.

1987: The Rams stumble out pf the gate losing their first 2 games before a player's strike forced the NFL to use replacement players. The Rams scabs would go 1-2. When the Rams regulars returned things were not much better as they fell to 1-5 with a 30-17 loss in Cleveland to the Browns. However the biggest stunner would come a few days later when the Rams traded Erick Dickerson to the Indianapolis Colts in a 3 team trade in which the Rams acquired 6 draft picks. The Rams would lose their next 2 and sat at 1-7. However the Rams would win 5 straight as Charles White filled in Dickerson's shoes quiet nicely winning the NFL rushing title with 1,374 yards rushing. However, the Rams would miss the playoffs with a 6-9 record.

1988: The Rams jump out of the gate fast by winning their first 4 games. After taking 3 of the next 5 the Rams sat in first place with a 7-2 record. However 4 straight losses would send the Rams reeling out of first, and in danger of missing the postseason. However they would right their ship and would close the season with 3 wins to finish with a Wild Card spot with a 10-6 record. In the Wild Card game the Rams would be no match for the Vikings who beat the Rams 28-16 in Minnesota.

1989: The Rams get off to another fast start winning their first 5 games including an early season showdown with ***** in San Francisco. However in a repeat of the previous season the Rams would lose their next 4 games. Once again the Rams would recover to make the playoff by winning 6 of their final 7, but once again had to settle for a Wild Card. In the Wild Card game the Rams stun the Eagles on a soggy day in Philadelphia 21-7. A week later the Rams would battle the New York Giants in overtime where Flipper Anderson catches a long TD pass from Jim Everett to stun the crowd at the Meadowlands and send the Rams to a NFC Championship showdown in San Francisco. However, The showdown in ***** was over quickly as the ***** routed the Rams 30-3.

1990: Going into the season the Rams were considered a favorite to make the Super Bowl. However a 1-4 start put the Rams behind the 8-ball quickly. Unlike previous seasons the Rams would not recover, and by the time they faced the ***** in San Francisco the Rams post season hopes were all but gone a 3-7. However the Rams restored a little pride by beating the ***** to hand them their first loss of the season. However the Rams would not be able to revive their lost season as they missed the playoffs with a disappointing 5-11 record.

1991: The Rams stumble out of the gate again with a 1-3 start. The Rams would win their next 2 to sit at 3-3 through their first 6 games. However it would be their last win of the season as the Rams endured a record 10 game losing streak to close out the season with a miserable 3-13 record. Following the season coach John Robinson would be fired, and replaced by former Rams coach Chuck Knox.

1992: After a 15-year absence in which he coached the Buffalo Bills, and Seattle Seahawks, Chuck Knox returns to the Rams and his young team shows some promise doubling their previous season's win total for a 6-10 record. The highlight of the season comes on November 15th when the Rams hand the Dallas Cowboys their only home loss of the season.

1993: The Rams draft Jerome Bettis out of Notre Dame, and he pay dividends right away earning the Offensive Rookie of the Year, while rushing for 1,429 yards. However, the Rams take a step backward finishing with a 5-11 record.

1994: Prior to the start of the season, the Rams trade QB Jim Everett and acquire QB Chris Miller from the Atlanta Falcons. However it was another change that had Los Angeles fans worried. With attendance lagging in Anaheim Stadium rumors of a move to St. Louis began to fly. In the midst of a 4-12 season the rumors became a reality as owner Georgia Frontiere announced her intentions to move the franchise. On Christmas Eve less then 30,000 fans showed up as the Rams lost their final game at Anaheim Stadium 24-21 to the Washington Redskins. After some initial resistance the move would be approved by NFL owners, ending the Rams 49-year history in Los Angeles.

1995-Present: Shortly after the Rams got the ok to move to St. Louis, the city of Los Angeles would be rocked again when the Raiders moved back to Oakland leaving the 2nd largest television market without an NFL team. Immediately plans were made to bring an expansion team to the area. However squabbles among ownership groups and the city delayed plans, in 2002 the NFL was all set to return to Los Angeles, and had planned to award an expansion team to the city in 1999. However the squabbling and the bickering had prevented the city from presenting a sturdy stadium plan for the new team and the NFL decided to award the expansion team to Houston who lost their team in 1996, but presented a much strong plan. This left Los Angeles without a team and without a window for expansion as the NFL now with 32 teams likely would not be expanding again soon, so the city turned to trying to get an established team to move to LA. Since then they have been used as a bargaining chip for team like the Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings, Arizona Cardinals, and New Orleans Saints to try to force their cities' into building new stadiums. Los Angeles still dose not have a new stadium and likely wont begin work on one to they get one of those teams to finally move there, until then the 2nd largest media market will continue to wait as they have so for 10 years now, longer then anybody ever expected them to be without a team.
    Wow that is truely spectacular. This was such a great post. I liked the part about superbowl XIV. That superbowl was closer than it should have been. Great Post OldRamsFan. I hope nobody Minds me digging this up. I was going through old posts and this one caught my eye.

AlphaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO View Post
    Sorry, I didn't like the 1995-Present crap. I was hoping it would be 1995,6,7,8, etc.
    A little something I was working on in 2004....

In 1995, the Los Angeles Rams moved the team to St. Louis, birthplace of present owner Georgia Frontiere. The team retained the Rams logo, uniform, and colors. Despite the accelerated pace of work on the Transworld Dome, the Rams played their first two games at Busch Stadium. On November 12, the Transworld Dome opened before a sold-out crowd of 65,598 as the Rams defeated the Carolina Panthers 28-17. The Rams finished the season with a 7-9 record. Isaac Bruce finished the season with 1,781 yards of receiving with is second in NFL history.

By 1999, the Rams were close to the Cinncinati Bengals for the worst record for the decade of the nineties. However, a surprising turnaround culminated in the winning of Super Bowl XXXIV with a 23-16 victory over the Tennessee Titans. Mike Jones tackled Kevin Dyson of the Titans at the two yard line on the last play of the game to preserve the win for the Rams. The Super Bowl season also saw the emergence of one of the most inspiring stories in the NFL with the rise of Kurt Warner, a previously unknown former Arena League quarterback to NFL MVP and Super Bowl XXXIV MVP. Dick Vermeil won Coach of the Year honors. Running Back Marshall Faulk and Wide Receiver Isaac Bruce, along with Warner (41 TD passes), become the standouts of the 1999 season.

After the win in Super Bowl XXXIV, the Rams changed the colors and design of their uniforms. The official team colors became New Century Gold and Millennium Blue. Gone were the trademark horns on the sleeves of the uniforms in favor of a streamlined ram’s head for the team’s official emblem.
    The 2000 Rams were still was “The Greatest Show On Turf”, but the stout defense from the previous year weakened. The loss of Kurt Warner while playing Kansas City resulted in him missing five games with a fractured hand. The Rams finished 10-6 and remained the best offense in the NFL with Trent Green at the helm for five games. The Rams were defeated by the New Orleans Saints in the wild card playoff game 31-28. Kurt Warner
    In 2001, the Rams continued to create havoc in the NFL and once again scored over 500 points for the season. Their best record in the NFL of 14-2 led them to their second Super Bowl in just three years. The Rams rallied back in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl to tie the game at 17 apiece, but the New England Patriots kicked a field goal to end the game 20-17.

2002 would turn out to be the Rams worst seasons since 1998, coming off a disappointing Super Bowl loss and riddled with injuries with a record of 7-9 for the season.

In 2003, the Rams posted a 12-4 record with Marc Bulger starting most of the year at quarterback. After receiving a first round bye, the Rams saw their 14 game winning streak at home snapped in double overtime to the Carolina Panthers by a score of 29-23 in the divisional playoffs. As with the Rams two years earlier, the Panthers were defeated in the final seconds of the Super Bowl as New England kicked the winning field goal.

AlphaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Wow....I began being a Rams Fan in 1963...amazing how much of that I remember. Do you have any of the Pre-move to Los Angeles history of the Rams?
    Another little thing I was working on in 2004....

The Rams have a long, proud tradition in the history of American football. While not one of the first teams in the National Football League, the Rams have been leaders in the changes over the years that have resulted in the game we see today. The team was founded during the Great Depression. This was a time that saw several football leagues come and go, and dozens of football teams fold. Presently, there are only eight teams in the NFL that were founded before the Rams (Bears, Cardinals, Packers, Giants, Lions, Redskins, Eagles and Steelers) that have survived through the years to be part of the NFL today.

In 1936, the Cleveland Rams were founded by Homer Marshman, an attorney in Cleveland. The team played in the second version of the American Football League and went 5-2-2 as a member team. The Rams were scheduled to face the Boston Shamrocks in the championship game, but the event was called off as the AFL folded.

On February 12, 1937, the NFL placed the Cleveland Rams into the NFL Western Division to replace the defunct St. Louis Gunners. The first season did not fare well for the Rams as they finished with a 1-10-0 record. The team played in two stadiums during the inaugural year, League Park and Municipal Stadium. The Rams shared Municipal Stadium with the Cleveland Indians.

Rookie Parker Hall became the first Ram to be named the Most Valuable Player in the NFL in 1939. Hall was the halfback for the team during the time that halfback was the primary running position in offensive schemes for the era.

Dan Reeves and Fred Levy purchased the Rams in 1941. The co-owners requested a suspension of operations for the Rams 1943 season as both went into military service. The NFL agreed and the Rams did not field a team for the 1943 season as there was also a shortage of players due to the war. Many of the Rams players were loaned to other teams in the 1943 season.

Charles “Chili” Walsh became the general manager in 1944 when the Rams resumed football operations. Walsh offered a finders fee of $100 to anyone recommending a player who made the team, thus comprising the team of free agents and castoffs. In the same year, the Cleveland Browns of the All-American Football Conference were formed. The Browns would share Cleveland Municipal Stadium with the Rams during the 1945 season. Eddie Kotal was hired as the Rams college scout, the first in the NFL.

Walsh hired his brother, Adam, as head coach in 1945. The Rams posted a record of 9-1 for the season. Rookie quarterback Bob Waterfield passed for 1,609 yards and 14 touchdowns. The NFL Championship game was played on Dec. 15, 1945, at Cleveland Municipal Stadium, in the freezing cold. The showdown matched Rams rookie Bob Waterfield against the Redskins veteran quarterback Sammy Baugh for the NFL Championship. Near the beginning of the game, Baugh attempted to pass from the Washington end zone and hit his own goal post, which was covered by Baugh that prevented a Rams touchdown. At that time, the goal post was on the goal line and an incomplete pass from your own end zone resulted in a safety. Baugh was knocked out of the game soon after and Redskin quarterback Frank Filchock stepped in to add two touchdowns. Waterfield threw two touchdowns and kicked an extra point in the Rams 15-14 victory. The Rams defense held the Redskins to 32 yards of rushing.

Despite winning the NFL championship, the franchise did not turn a profit and lost $50,000 in the championship season. In addition, the city of Cleveland would not agree to build a new stadium. On January 11, 1946, Reeves asked permission to move the team to Los Angeles, California. Many owners were concerned about the added cost of cross-country travel expenses. Reeves offered to pay to the owners an additional $5,000 over the existing guarantee when their team played the Rams on the West Coast. The deal was approved, and the Rams became the first NFL team to move west.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12