Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

Some outside the box HC/GM names to look out for

I've heard a lot about AJ Smith and the possibility of Jeff Fisher or Jon Gruden taking over, but wanted to throw a few names of my own out there.

Mind you, these gentlemen are "fresh blood" candidates, with no coaching or GM experience. I know some may want names, but I also wouldn't rule out these guys.

GM Reggie McKenzie
    Coach Tom Clements
    Both currently with the Packers

Both gentlemen have cut their teeth learning the trade under some of the best in the game. Both have playing experience, Clements was a starting QB for Notre Dame and actually tutored a young Joe Montana. He is highly credited with the development of Aaron Rodgers and also did good things with both Kordell Stewart and Elvis Grbac, leading them to their best statistical seasons of their careers. Also had a very respectable 2 year run as OC of the Bills, where their point totals improved substantially in each. Was sent packing by Marv Levy, who stubbornly wanted his own guys.

McKenzie is credited with his work both on the college scouting and free agent ranks. Has discovered some real diamonds in the rough, including James Starks and Greg Jennings via draft. Also was key behind the team taking Clay Matthews. Had a pretty nice playing career in the NFL and was known for his on field smarts.

Will post a few more names in the forthcoming days.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Some outside the box HC/GM names to look out for

In my opinion, this franchise is at an absolutely critical juncture for its fan base. On the heels of 8 years worth of failure, we need a proven head coach who has experience. We have hired two coordinators in a row, including one who was the "hot" hire at the time (Spags) and have nothing but failure to show for the last 8 seasons. I'm not saying the guys you mentioned are not good football men, but this is not the time to be hiring unknowns or guys looking for their first NFL coaching gig.

I respect your point of view, but what happens say if Gruden does return to ESPN and Fisher goes to South Florida, San Diego or Dallas and Cowher elects to remain retired?

I'm pretty sure Brian Billick would take the job right now if offered, and he's proven but would he be the coach you prefer?

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    In my opinion, this franchise is at an absolutely critical juncture for its fan base. On the heels of 8 years worth of failure, we need a proven head coach who has experience. We have hired two coordinators in a row, including one who was the "hot" hire at the time (Spags) and have nothing but failure to show for the last 8 seasons. I'm not saying the guys you mentioned are not good football men, but this is not the time to be hiring unknowns or guys looking for their first NFL coaching gig.
    Correction: it has been three coordinators in a row.

That's okay, everyone makes the same mistake. The later part of Martz's era has become forgettable for a lot of fans.

Fortuninerhater is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman View Post
    I've heard a lot about AJ Smith and the possibility of Jeff Fisher or Jon Gruden taking over, but wanted to throw a few names of my own out there.

Mind you, these gentlemen are "fresh blood" candidates, with no coaching or GM experience. I know some may want names, but I also wouldn't rule out these guys.

GM Reggie McKenzie
    Coach Tom Clements
    Both currently with the Packers

Both gentlemen have cut their teeth learning the trade under some of the best in the game. Both have playing experience, Clements was a starting QB for Notre Dame and actually tutored a young Joe Montana. He is highly credited with the development of Aaron Rodgers and also did good things with both Kordell Stewart and Elvis Grbac, leading them to their best statistical seasons of their careers. Also had a very respectable 2 year run as OC of the Bills, where their point totals improved substantially in each. Was sent packing by Marv Levy, who stubbornly wanted his own guys.

McKenzie is credited with his work both on the college scouting and free agent ranks. Has discovered some real diamonds in the rough, including James Starks and Greg Jennings via draft. Also was key behind the team taking Clay Matthews. Had a pretty nice playing career in the NFL and was known for his on field smarts.

Will post a few more names in the forthcoming days.
    It would make absolutely no sense for the Rams to walk down that road for the 3rd consecutive time in 6 years. If they are going to hire another Coordinator, they may as well keep Spagnuolo.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    It would make absolutely no sense for the Rams to walk down that road for the 3rd consecutive time in 6 years. If they are going to hire another Coordinator, they may as well keep Spagnuolo.
    Why does everyone make the same mistake? Was Martz a head coach before he came to STL in an alternative universe or something? Has everyone forgot how he turned a championship team upside down during his tenure?

It would be going down that road for a fourth consecutive time.

shower beers is offline Registered User

So if McKenzie is the GM in Green Bay, why would he take the same position in St. Louis? Unless you're suggesting he is given a larger role with the team? It just seems he is in an ideal position right now.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    So if McKenzie is the GM in Green Bay, why would he take the same position in St. Louis? Unless you're suggesting he is given a larger role with the team? It just seems he is in an ideal position right now.
    Ted Thompson is the GM for the Packers. McKenzie effectively sits at the right hand of the Father.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Ted Thompson is the GM for the Packers. McKenzie effectively sits at the right hand of the Father.
    Yep. He has helped Thompson in a lot of his personnel decisions. I think he's ready for a GM job of his own.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    Correction: it has been three coordinators in a row.

That's okay, everyone makes the same mistake. The later part of Martz's era has become forgettable for a lot of fans.
    Yeah, I know Martz was a coordinator- I'm just referring to outside hires and should have clarified that.

I also understand everyone's sentiments behind wanting to bring in a proven winner after the Spags, Linehan and to some degree Martz tenures.

My concern is this. As of now, Gruden is going back to ESPN.. As much as I would obviously be happy to see it, I don't see Cowher or Dungy coming out of retirement for the Ram job.

Here's where the quandrum begins. Fisher is available. He also likely will be the first call placed by all of the teams searching for a new coach. What if the Rams dont get him? Who do you pursue?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry S. Truman View Post
    I also understand everyone's sentiments behind wanting to bring in a proven winner after the Spags, Linehan and to some degree Martz tenures.

My concern is this. As of now, Gruden is going back to ESPN.. As much as I would obviously be happy to see it, I don't see Cowher or Dungy coming out of retirement for the Ram job.

Here's where the quandrum begins. Fisher is available. He also likely will be the first call placed by all of the teams searching for a new coach. What if the Rams dont get him? Who do you pursue?
    First off, I am not convinced Gruden is definitely going back to ESPN. Guys lie all the time about their intentions, "spending more time with the family", etc. If the right situation comes up, Gruden will listen.

Secondly, Fisher has been my choice all along. Meet with the guy, Reward him financially and put him to work.

Cowher would be the third guy, but he's not coming to St. Louis.

Beyond that, I have no answers. We may end up settling for a guy like you suggest, but that doesn't mean we should target him immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    First off, I am not convinced Gruden is definitely going back to ESPN. Guys lie all the time about their intentions, "spending more time with the family", etc. If the right situation comes up, Gruden will listen.

Secondly, Fisher has been my choice all along. Meet with the guy, Reward him financially and put him to work.

Cowher would be the third guy, but he's not coming to St. Louis.

Beyond that, I have no answers. We may end up settling for a guy like you suggest, but that doesn't mean we should target him immediately.
    I think to get Fisher, whoever offers complete control has the best chance of landing him. Same for Gruden, if he does wind up leaving ESPN.

That said, please dont get me wrong.. Noone I mention in this thread is my first choice and I highly speculate it won't be the Rams first either. In my dream scenario, Cowher is choice one, Dungy choice two, Fisher three and Chucky four. Unfortunately I highly suspect 1 and 2 aren't happen, am wavering on four happening and bracing for the possibility that 3 doesn't.