RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Some Positives That Emerged Today ...

Well, believe it or not, I saw a couple nice things that deserved to be commented on:

1. The Running Back Corps - I think it is official that we can let Minor go. As hard as I've been on S.J. lately, and it's only because I feel he has unlimited potential, I definitely feel he is one of the elite running backs in the league. He can do it all: run it inside, run it outside, catch the ball, basically a jack of all trades.

With that said, it looks like Pittman is completely recovered from his hamstring issue. He ran with conviction today and showed a burst he did not have in previous weeks. He doesn't go down easily and keeps his legs moving after contact. He also catches the ball well out of the backfield, and I think he is definitely going to be a very servicable backup. He is one of the few bright spots that came out of the Linehan regime. A very solid hard nosed runner who works hard to finish plays.

And what about Darby? He also looked good running the ball. Forget what you heard about him having a slow 40 yard dash. He can get moving just fine when he gets the pigskin in his hands. His running numbers would have looked alot better had Bulger not audibled into a pathetic run play that resulted in a 6 yard loss. But most impressive was his hands snagging balls out of the backfield, including an impressive diving grab in the 1st quarter. This guy can run, catch, and block - everything you want in a third down back. And no fumbles today!

With these three guys, and possibly Leonard next year, Minor should be gone and we definitely have a great corp of young backs.

Very impressive effort by Pittman and Darby today, almost 200 yards of total offense.

2. Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton - He showed the entire repitoire today. He made some nice moves on smoke routes and made a couple of nice intermediate grabs. But that catch he made on the fly route down the sideline was just sick. He made it a little difficult on himself by getting too close to the edge, but the body control he displayed to made that grab and get the feet down was incredible. If this offense ever gets established, this guy is going to put up insane numbers. I found it amazing how the commentators were drooling over the guy, and they even said, albeit incorrect, that he would have likely been drafted even higher if not for the combine injuries.

As for Burton, not alot shows up on the stat sheet yet, but this guy is doing it all. He made two grabs, but he is busting his tail on special teams, and throwing blocks all over the field. I love his effort. I still think he has the potential to be a top-notch receiver, lets just see how he fits into the system. All he needs to do is keep working. Lets pray his knees hold up.

3. Craft the Blitzing Machine - He definitely stuggles playing man to man coverage as the #2 corner, but as a nickel and dime guy, I think he has some value. The moves he showed as a blitzer were impressive, schooling Gore twice with some nice spin moves, and if we bring this guy back in the dime role next year, we could have a pair of dangerous blitzing CB's in Craft and Manning. We have one excellent corner in Bartell, if we can add one more, and get a younger, hard hitting SS, we might have a decent secondary in the next year or two.

That's all I got, just thought these things were worth mentioning for those who didn't get to see the game.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Re: Some Positives That Emerged Today ...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Well, believe it or not, I saw a couple nice things that deserved to be commented on:

1. The Running Back Corps - I think it is official that we can let Minor go. As hard as I've been on S.J. lately, and it's only because I feel he has unlimited potential, I definitely feel he is one of the elite running backs in the league. He can do it all: run it inside, run it outside, catch the ball, basically a jack of all trades.

With that said, it looks like Pittman is completely recovered from his hamstring issue. He ran with conviction today and showed a burst he did not have in previous weeks. He doesn't go down easily and keeps his legs moving after contact. He also catches the ball well out of the backfield, and I think he is definitely going to be a very servicable backup. He is one of the few bright spots that came out of the Linehan regime. A very solid hard nosed runner who works hard to finish plays.

And what about Darby? He also looked good running the ball. Forget what you heard about him having a slow 40 yard dash. He can get moving just fine when he gets the pigskin in his hands. His running numbers would have looked alot better had Bulger not audibled into a pathetic run play that resulted in a 6 yard loss. But most impressive was his hands snagging balls out of the backfield, including an impressive diving grab in the 1st quarter. This guy can run, catch, and block - everything you want in a third down back. And no fumbles today!

With these three guys, and possibly Leonard next year, Minor should be gone and we definitely have a great corp of young backs.

Very impressive effort by Pittman and Darby today, almost 200 yards of total offense.

2. Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton - He showed the entire repitoire today. He made some nice moves on smoke routes and made a couple of nice intermediate grabs. But that catch he made on the fly route down the sideline was just sick. He made it a little difficult on himself by getting too close to the edge, but the body control he displayed to made that grab and get the feet down was incredible. If this offense ever gets established, this guy is going to put up insane numbers. I found it amazing how the commentators were drooling over the guy, and they even said, albeit incorrect, that he would have likely been drafted even higher if not for the combine injuries.

As for Burton, not alot shows up on the stat sheet yet, but this guy is doing it all. He made two grabs, but he is busting his tail on special teams, and throwing blocks all over the field. I love his effort. I still think he has the potential to be a top-notch receiver, lets just see how he fits into the system. All he needs to do is keep working. Lets pray his knees hold up.

3. Craft the Blitzing Machine - He definitely stuggles playing man to man coverage as the #2 corner, but as a nickel and dime guy, I think he has some value. The moves he showed as a blitzer were impressive, schooling Gore twice with some nice spin moves, and if we bring this guy back in the dime role next year, we could have a pair of dangerous blitzing CB's in Craft and Manning. We have one excellent corner in Bartell, if we can add one more, and get a younger, hard hitting SS, we might have a decent secondary in the next year or two.

That's all I got, just thought these things were worth mentioning for those who didn't get to see the game.
    ...i didnt see the game, and even in losses as embarrassing as this i wish i would have just to see what everyone is doing..good post considering all thats been on my mind(and everyone else) is thinking what would be the best method to use to destroy and rebuild..

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

lol didnt mean to make it a long post by quoting the previous post, i was just trying to quote the very last line, my bad lol

Keenum is offline Registered User

Glad Darby did well, I've been rooting for him ever since he played at Bama.
    Pittman really impressed me though. He obviously wasn't full speed last week, but looked a LOT better this time.
    Hopefully the young guys playing well will encourage Jackson to heal up and get back on the field soon.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Sorry to bring pessimism to this thread, but they could have rushed for 400 yards, and if they put up goose eggs in the TD column, were not gonna win too many games.

But lets get that crap outta here, they did exactly what backups are supposed to do, keep the ground game going and keep the defense honest. Add a healthy S Jax and I agree that we could have a decent corp of running backs.

I still think we need to add a speedy change of pace back out of the draft, in the Felix Jones, Leon Washington, and Darren Sproles mold. But that addition may need to wait a few years, seeing as how many other needs we have.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Sorry to bring pessimism to this thread, but they could have rushed for 400 yards, and if they put up goose eggs in the TD column, were not gonna win too many games.

But lets get that crap outta here, they did exactly what backups are supposed to do, keep the ground game going and keep the defense honest. Add a healthy S Jax and I agree that we could have a decent corp of running backs.

I still think we need to add a speedy change of pace back out of the draft, in the Felix Jones, Leon Washington, and Darren Sproles mold. But that addition may need to wait a few years, seeing as how many other needs we have.
    I agree a change of pace guy/ guy who can take some carries regularly away from Jax is needed. Jax is a machine there is no doubt about it. We are a completely different team when he is in the lineup, so we need to make sure he stays in the lineup.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I have been a fan of Pittman for quite some time now. I was happy that the Rams snagged him. He is a reliable BACK UP. I don't think he is starting material, but for a back up, he's good.

Avery. Words cannot describe how I feel about him. I had nothing but good feelings when we drafted him and I will continue to be on his fan base. He's an amazing receiver. Nice speed to compliment anything else he may posess. Great kid.

Burton is a good blocker. He doesn't have the stats, but stats are not all that make up great players. He's been something special for this team.

Our defense...eh. Even though Craft got two sacks, we should honestly have more from our DL than our CB's. But great plays by Craft no doubt. He's a viable option in our CB corps. Starter? Doubt it. Good? Yes.