Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    supachump is offline Registered User

Re: Some Rams Fans Just Can't, Or Don't Want To, Be Happy

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    I'm not upset or complaining about it, but the Rams ARE for sale. Every media outlet in the country has reported this.
    Everything in the world is for sale. For the right price. The Rams are no exception. Chip has said almost as much. That doesn't mean the Rams are up for sale. Subtle yet important difference.

Just because some media outlets and reporters say something doesn't make it so. I really believe they are grasping and making assumptions. Do I think Chip would sell if the right price and conditions came along? You bet I do. But, I also don't believe there is an active solicitation to sell the team. Maybe that is what you meant. But it seems that so many (i.e. media and people on this board) assume that Chip is posting the Rams on Craigslist.
    Last edited by supachump; -01-19-2009 at 02:17 PM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    I get nothing but grief and negative remarks from you lately AV. What is your problem man?

Just because you say something doesn't make it true. My opinions are just as valid as yours.
    No, you have as much right as I do to post your opinions. That does not mean they are equally valid.

As far as the Rams being for sale, I have not posted anything about it until this thread and I get a "keep posting it and people will believe you" remark. Look AV, I have read/heard that the Rams are for sale on ESPN, FOX, CBS, SI, and many, many papers and websites. If you want to keep your head in the sand about it that's fine, but don't rip into me for not taking your word as gospel.
    None of those sites have reported anything more than speculation. There has not been one quote from anyone in the Rams organization acknowledging that the team is for sale. So, we don't know if its true or not, and any assertion that this is a "fact" is simply incorrect.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I agree with Avenger. There was enough (justified) negativity during the past two seasons. Developments which include DeVaney's elevation to GM, Linehan's firing, Zygmunt's retirement and Shaw being pushed to the background are all positives. Spagnuolo's hiring was a BIG positive, in my opinion. No need to whine about Shaw, Jason Garrett, who we wanted but didn't get, or anything else. Let's relish the fact that just about everyone thought Spagnuolo would be an excellent HC candidate and we got him. As far as the potential sale of the team- why bellyache about something with the belief that it MAY happen? The moon might explode, too, but I'm not dwelling on it.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I feel your pain, AV; I have the luxury of ignoring or dodging the chaff that gets spewed out by the rumor mill & regurgitated here as fact but you, as a Mod, do not.

Still, I wonder how effective it is to wave a dead fox over the Chicken Littles and cry " calm down!!"

I do question your assessment of the Shaw situation longterm. Of course it is good news that he is going to retire but since he was one of the 5 people in the room, if I understand it correctly, when the final interviews were held, his influence is still greater than most of us would like. Exactly what that influence is, we don't and probably will not ever know. Basing opinion on that from gossip and rumor is certainly dodgy but it doesn't eliminate the concern about the unknown.

Lastly, I have to say I am disturbed to hear you suggesting that the Chicken Littles take up a hobby that involves using sharp objects. That is wholly irresponsible. Unless it's part of a conspiracy to thin the flock by suicide. LOL

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Rams fans have received a great deal of news in recent weeks that should make them hopeful.

Zygmunt is gone. Shaw has been put out to pasture. A "football guy" is making decisions for the team. Spagnuolo is the Head Coach.

And yet, I check in this morning and the board is full of worries and negativity.

Oh no! Shaw overruled Devaney on Garrett!!!! (no proof of this, but hey, why not take PFT as gospel despite their dubious track record?)

Eeek! Spagnuolo has an out clause!!!!! (never mind that clauses such a this are not unusual and there is no evidence that the Rams are actually for sale or that Spags would exercise the clause if there were a sale)

Aaaah!!! A Denver Broncos fan thinks we made a bad hire!!! (Really? We should be worried about that?)

I think some fans are not happy unless they are worried and/or complaining. Its quite sad. I think fans like that need to take a deep breath and reconsider whether following sports is really for them. I mean, is it really worth it to engage in a hobby that never really makes you happy?

Maybe needlepoint would be a better option for some Rams fans.
    You know what AVenger some people just need DRAMA in their life and don't know how to function without it. So they create things or try to bait other people to create the DRAMA.

I for one wish they would have kept Haslett, because now we are truly in a rebuild stage. But I am happy with the new the new hire, because Spagnolo is a good hire.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Well I posted a thread and im guessing it falls under your category of being unhappy...well Im extremely happy about the hire, it actually seems too good to be true..My thread was mostly hypothetical and wondering what would happen post-spagnuolo should chip sell the team, and I didnt make any crazy allegations or made insane assumptions and im FAR from getting people to believe anything(esepecailly negative) about the team they dont want to, and i should say ive read other threads out there that are alot closer to no sense at all.....no need to explain myself though, after all that is what the forum is for RiGHT???..

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think a few things could be said here:

1. The only teams that probably aren't for sale are:
    Packers
    Giants
    Jets
    Patriots
    Cowboys

Everyone else could be bought if the price was right.

2. CA fans will always be pissed that the Rams moved. There are fans in MO that are strill pissed the Big Red moved.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I remain cautiously optimistic.
    We are still rebuilding right? I wanted a new coach, but I realize a new coach won't necessarily make all the problems go away.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think a few things could be said here:

1. The only teams that probably aren't for sale are:
    Packers
    Giants
    Jets
    Patriots
    Cowboys

Everyone else could be bought if the price was right.

2. CA fans will always be pissed that the Rams moved. There are fans in MO that are strill pissed the Big Red moved.
    By that standard, I'd say even all those other franchises are for sale too then.

I'm not sure why there is so much denial here that the Rams have the for sale sign hung. Sure, any team could be sold if somebody came and offered them a deal they couldn't refuse, but how many teams have actually hired Moag & Co., a Baltimore firm that specializes in the sale of sports franchises, to field offers???

Well, the Rams have. Rosenbloom has confirmed they have, while at the same time denying they are actively out soliciting a sale. It's the same thing as telling your neighbor, who's really scared of who might move in next door to them, not to worry about that silly For Sale sign stuck in your yard in front of your house. The sign may be there, but you aren't actually planning on selling....unless you get what your asking.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    By that standard, I'd say even all those other franchises are for sale too then.

I'm not sure why there is so much denial here that the Rams have the for sale sign hung. Sure, any team could be sold if somebody came and offered them a deal they couldn't refuse, but how many teams have actually hired Moag & Co., a Baltimore firm that specializes in the sale of sports franchises, to field offers???

Well, the Rams have. Rosenbloom has confirmed they have, while at the same time denying they are actively out soliciting a sale. It's the same thing as telling your neighbor, who's really scared of who might move in next door to them, not to worry about that silly For Sale sign stuck in your yard in front of your house. The sign may be there, but you aren't actually planning on selling....unless you get what your asking.
    I have not read any report (much less one with confirmation from a credible source) that stated that he Rams have engaged anyone to solicit a sale. Rather, it seems that the Rams have merely consulted with Moag to ascertain the value of the team, and to act as an agent should anyone express interest in buying the team. Why should anyone be surprised that Chip, upon inheriting a valuable commodity, would seek an appraisal of its value, and find an agent to field potential offers?

That is a far cry from an owner trying to sell a team, and miles away from a sale being imminent.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-19-2009 at 07:14 PM.

I have not read any report (much less one with confirmation from a credible source) that stated that he Rams have engaged anyone to solicit a sale. Rather, it seems that the Rams have merely consulted with Moag to ascertain the value of the team, and to act as an agent should anyone express interest in buying the team. Why should anyone be surprised that Chip, upon inheriting a valuable commodity, would seek an appraisal of its value, and find an agent to field potential offers?

That is a far cry from an owner trying to sell a team, and miles away from a sale being imminent.
    I haven't read anything about a sale being imminent either. But the Rams are for sale. All the people who cover the team have acknowledged this while saying nothing is imminent and Chip at least currently will only consider offers by prospective buyers that will keep the team in St. Louis. What you have not heard anybody say, however, is flatly that the team is not for sale. They can't say that, since they'd be lying if they did. And that's why they have to put an escape clause in their coach's contract now too, to protect him if they are sold.

So you have to believe that hiring Moag & Co, a company that is hired to sell sports franchises, and putting escape clauses in contracts of coaches to let them out of the deal if/when they are sold is standard procedure I guess to believe there's nothing to this...the team is for sale...business. Why continue to fight it? I don't get that.

Report says Rams looking for possible buyers
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Monday, Jul. 14 2008
    A story Monday in the weekly SportsBusiness Journal reported that Moag & Co., an investment bank and advisory firm in Baltimore that specializes in
    sports-related issues, has been employed by the Rams "to find a group of
    possible buyers."

Rams President John Shaw declined to say whether the report was accurate. "I’m not going to comment on what we have or haven’t done," Shaw said. "Basically the only thing I can reiterate is what Chip (Rosenbloom) has said all along, that we’re not actively seeking to sell" the team.

Still, Shaw added that Rosenbloom "has had so many inquiries that basically, if he received an offer he couldn’t refuse, he’d have to consider it."

Since taking over the Rams after the death of his mother, Rosenbloom has
    insisted that the team wasn’t for sale. Attempts to reach Rosenbloom on Monday were unsuccessful. A phone message to Moag & Co. was not returned.

Rosenbloom and his sister, Lucia Rodriguez, split the 60 percent ownership they inherited when their mother and team owner Georia Frontiere died Jan. 18 at age 80 after a lengthy battle with breast cancer. Stan Kroenke retained his 40 percent share of the team. The NFL requires all teams to designate a managing partner, and Rosenbloom is filling that role.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    Rams President John Shaw declined to say whether the report was accurate. "I’m not going to comment on what we have or haven’t done," Shaw said. "Basically the only thing I can reiterate is what Chip (Rosenbloom) has said all along, that we’re not actively seeking to sell" the team.

Still, Shaw added that Rosenbloom "has had so many inquiries that basically, if he received an offer he couldn’t refuse, he’d have to consider it."
    If you want to believe that words have no meaning, then I guess you can equate "not actively seeking to sell" (absent a "can't refuse" offer) with "the team is for sale." To me, those are pretty clear statements expressing that Chip Rosenbloom is NOT trying to sell the team right now.

To me, this is a monumental non-story, conjured up by fans with nothing better to do.

If you want to believe that words have no meaning, then I guess you can equate "not actively seeking to sell" (absent a "can't refuse" offer) with "the team is for sale." To me, those are pretty clear statements expressing that Chip Rosenbloom is NOT trying to sell the team right now.

To me, this is a monumental non-story, conjured up by fans with nothing better to do.
    Interesting. I would have bolded completely different parts.

Still, Shaw added that Rosenbloom "has had so many inquiries that basically, if he received an offer he couldn’t refuse, he’d have to consider it.""
    That's what I find important. They hire a company that is enlisted to sell sports franchises. There is a report in the Sports Business Journal that they hired them to assist with selling the team. And they won't deny the report's accuracy or say what they are or aren't doing.

Why not just say it's not true, the team is not for sale and won't be sold?

I fail to see how a story reported by the Sports Business Journal and acknowledged by those in the St. Louis sports media is a story conjured up by fans.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't really care. They could be in Fife Scotland for all I care.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I don't really care. They could be in Fife Scotland for all I care.

Wouldn't that make them the Scottish Claymore-Rams then?

I don't care either. I am a Rams fan - fill in the city if you want. I just want them to win, wherever they are. That's what I care about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast