RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Some random, scattered thoughts from yesterdays game ...

Here's somethings I noticed that I thought were worth talking about. Please fire away ....

1A. Our team is like the stock market ...

-35, -28, -24, -17, +2, +20, -7, -21, -44

1B. No quarterback can succeed in this system. The playcalling is horrible. The offensive line is broken, careless, and dumb. The wide receivers are too inexperienced to comprehend Saunders complicated route system, and the ones that can just suck, except Looker who is solid. Really, can Saunders not simplify the playbook? Are there no crossing routes? Wait, there was one that Burton took off on for a 28 yard gain. Are there no effective screens? Wait, there was one misdirection screen that Pittman ran for 22 on. Are there any dig routes? Wait, there was one that Avery snagged for 21. These are all staples of the Saunders-Martz type offense, yet we never utilize them. Why don't we run slant patterns? AND IF I EVER HAVE TO SEE A DRAW PLAY ON 3RD AND 10+, I WILL JUST SHOOT MYSELF. And before everyone gets their pants wet over Trent Green, realize that 38 of his passing yards came on screens to Pittman, and another 28 came on that simple crossing route to Burton, where Keenan turned on the jets and made a big gain. So outside these plays where he really did nothing, he was 2-7, for 4 yards, and 1 INT. He misfired just as badly as Bulger did, and in large part to #2 ....

2. The young wide receivers are overwhelmed. I don't understand why we are asking them to do such complicated things as we are. Look at the Bulger INT. Yes, it was forced into coverage, but go back and watch the wideouts. They are running 20+ yards downfield and are within 2 yards of one another! Because of this, you had 3 defensive backs in the area. The freakin' safety was on the sideline! Bad route running by these guys, and it is not their fault. I just see alot of potential on hitting these guys with quick hitters. We've seen Avery take these smoke routes and turn them into 6 or 7 yard gains. Stanley turned a short slant into 12. What happened to simple crossing routes, and posts, and drag slants? Seems most all other teams in the league have success on these routes, we can't we?

3. Torry Holt is a hinderance to this team. I don't know if he has lost a step, he doesn't care, or if he is just saving his body for next season, either as a Ram or playing for some other team, but we would not be doing ourselves any harm by benching this guy and letting the young blood play. The Holt of last year gets the first down after catching that 5 yard out on the first drive. The Holt of this year catches it and is ready to go down. He shows nothing with body langauge, and apparently cannot get open. You think Andre Johnson doesn't see double teams each week? Yet, he still manages to put up huge numbers. Holt is a fraction of the player he once was at this point, and maybe even a fraction of the man he was if he is cashing in the season. I really think it would be in our best interest to trade this guy unless he magically gains some fire in his belly during the second half.

4. Kenneth Darby can be this teams third down back for many years. Yes, Darby fumbled twice. But he sure did run hard and looked very shifty on a couple 10+ yard runs. 4.75 40 yard dash? Not on those plays. He showed good hands catching the ball, but most importantly, and I cannot believe I am saying this. But when is the last time you effectively saw a Ram's running back pick up the blitz? For a guy that has been in the system only two weeks, he did an absolutely superb job running to the gap and laying some smack down on a pair of linebackers. And we aren't talking any cuts blocks or rolling to try to trip someone up, Darby put a body on these guys and kept them off Bulger. I knew a statement had to me made to bench him after the second fumble, but certainly the guy deserves a second chance. He does have some game skills.

5. Kudos to Antonio Pittman for manning up and playing in this game. Must have been tough playing with that hammy and he made a couple nice games on screen passes. He ran very hard and he doesn't go down easy. I have heard a few comments about his lack of burst, but considering the guy had a leg injury from early in the season, coupled with a hamstring issue, I am not surprised he has no burst. Other players on this team, NO NAMES ISSUED, could learn something from this tough SOB.

6. Say what you want, but nobody is playing any harder than Corey Chavous on defense. The much criticized SS has been busting his tail the past few weeks, particularly playing strong against the run. While the linebackers have not been able to tackle anything that runs with a foot of them, Chavous has been coming to the line with authority and making some big stops in the run game. He sniffed out a screen to the flat to prevent a TD against the Jets and has been relatively sound in coverage. Kudos to him for keeping his head up and continuing to play hard, when seemingly everyone around him is giving up.

7. Our linebackers are absolutely horrid. And I just don't understand. Witherspoon and Pisa are talented guys, yet they are over pursuing, missing gap assignments, and getting run over on a regular basis. Yes, they are undersized, but they have been very effective in the past, despite this. I cannot understand the lack of focus on these guys part, and can only wonder if Witherspoon is playing hurt. Culberson seems to have some instincts and is a solid tackler, but he is horrid in coverage. Vobora looked solid for what it is worth. I think we underestimated how valuable Chillar was to this team. He seemed to usually be in position on the strong side, and teams often ran opposite him. Now, teams are running cutback plays, and counter treys, at an alarming rate, and our linebackers have no answer. How many times do I have to see a linebacker on this team blow his gap coverage and jump to the line only to see a cutback run go the other way for 15 yards before the RB is brought down by a DB. Also, if I ever see Will Witherspoon get manhandled by a FB, and when I say manhandled, I don't mean blocked, I mean pushed 10 yards away from a running back, I think I will break my TV.

8. Considering we got 80 yards on the ground at 3.8 YPC against the #4 rush defense in the league, coupled with what seemed like QB's having at least a reasonable amount of time to throw the ball, it would seem like the O-line did at least an average job. But when you look at the small things, like Pace's inability to pick up a DB blitz, yes, a DB blitz, as he went to double team a DE inside, instead of even trying to look if there was a blitzed, it just makes you wonder if these guys even care. Seriously, Pace did not even look. I saw Barron do the same thing. Really, it is one thing if the guys on the line are overwhelmed. It is another if they are motivated. But it is just downright pathetic if they are too stupid or just don't care to realize what is around them. It seems like they can buck up for a play or two and provide excellent protection, then they make the most ridiculous mistakes in the most crucial times.

9. And for all those who were all over Leckey, I would say he definitely did his part. KRIS JENKINS DID NOT EVEN REGISTER IN THE BOX SCORE. Not a single tackle, sack, PD, nothing.

10. Worst game of football I have ever seen, it made me sad to be a Ram's fan. I really don't know where the answers lie for this team. Haslett said he didn't know if the guys just cannot do it or if they are not willing to do it. They have done it in the past, so I am saying they are not willing to do it. It really is a sad situation, and I really cannot see a resolution ....
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -11-10-2008 at 04:54 PM.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Some random, scattered thoughts from yesterdays game ...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

9. And for all those who were all over Leckey, I would say he definitely did his part. KRIS JENKINS DID NOT EVEN REGISTER IN THE BOX SCORE. Not a single tackle, sack, PD, nothing.

Just because Jenkins didn't make a tackle doesn't mean he didn't make any plays. The NT's job in a 3-4 isn't to get tackles or sacks, it's to take up blockers and free up the linebackers. He got a constant double team by either leckey and bell or cogs therfore doing his job and making a huge empact on the game. Granted there are not too many centers that can handle him one on one, and sorry but leckey isn't one of them.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Some random, scattered thoughts from yesterdays game ...

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Just because Jenkins didn't make a tackle doesn't mean he didn't make any plays. The NT's job in a 3-4 isn't to get tackles or sacks, it's to take up blockers and free up the linebackers. He got a constant double team by either leckey and bell or cogs therfore doing his job and making a huge empact on the game. Granted there are not too many centers that can handle him one on one, and sorry but leckey isn't one of them.
    Thanks for responding to me as if I am an idiot, because yes, my football knowledge is truly lacking, and I needed to know the function of the NT. It's much appreciated ...

Anyway, I know what the NT's role is. The Jets are giving up a paltry 3.2 YPA. We did well considering we were playing backups at running back, and have a terribly undersized center, and averaged nearly 4.0 YPC ...

Leckey did just fine against Jenkins, as well as anybody who has played the Jets this year. I didn't say he was a world beater, but Jenkins didn't get alot of push, and regardless of what you might say, helping collapse the pocket is a NT's job. Jenkins wasn't much of a disrupter, and no more troublesome that any of the other NT's we have played against this week. Yes, NT's are not about stats, but considering how bad our line was made out to be, and how Godly Jenkins was made out to be, they seemingly did a solid job on neutralizing him ...

But again, thanks for your lesson on football. I will come back to you for many more. Myabe you can explain why we had two receivers running right next to each other on the INT, or why Pace didn't pick up the CB blitz ...