Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Some Stats relating to the RGIII Trade that Might Surprise You

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Some Stats relating to the RGIII Trade that Might Surprise You

Did you know...

That since the RGIII trade:

The Rams (14-17-1) have a better regular season record than the Redskins (13-19)?

Sam Bradford has a better record as a starter (10-12-1) than RGIII (12-16)?

Sam Bradford has more 4th Quarter comebacks (5) than RGIII (4)?

Sam Bradford has the same number of game winning drives (4) as RGIII (4)?

Sam Bradford has averaged more TD passes/game (1.52) than RGIII (1.29)?

Sam Bradford has averaged more passing yards/game (234.3) than RGIII (228.7)?

I, for one, found a number of those stats to be surprising. They certainly support the notion that the Rams were the clear cut winners in the trade (which, of course, won't be complete until after this year's draft - at a minimum). Anyone who tells you otherwise is either a Redskins fan, or is just not paying attention.
    Varg6, KoaKoi and Randart like this.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

re: Some Stats relating to the RGIII Trade that Might Surprise You

Just to play a little Devil's advocate:

In those same years, RGIII outran Sam Bradford by over a thousand yards. (1304 yards to 155)
    In those same years, RGIII scored 7 rush td's... to sam bradford's 1.
    In those same years, RGIII passed for 6403; SamBrad was over a thousand less at 5389.
    ---> granted that while the per game avg is very slightly in SamBrad's favor, RGIII stayed on the field
    and produced
    In those same years, RGIII's avg passer rating was 91.5. SamBrad's rating was 82.6 and 90.2, respectively.
    In those same years, RGIII's total TD's was 43 with SamBrad at 36.
    Last edited by KoaKoi; -04-07-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: wasn't finished. i didn't know the TAB button made it post!?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

All that is true, but the point is, there are many among the casual observers who act like RGIII is head and shoulders above Sam. He's not, and the Rams, by going with Sam, obtained Brockers, Jenkins, Pead, Ogletree, Stacy and the No. 2 pick in this year's draft. In the end, that's a lopsided trade in favor of the Rams.
    Varg6 likes this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Other fact everyone knows:
    Mike Shanahan desperate to get an elite QB over stretch to get him and do to his over reach the Rams got the 2nd pick without having a losing record and lost Shanahan his job--"here's your sign, Mike"

Current fact: Redskins are trying to shop around for draft pick and looking to peddle a pretty good potential backup QB...nothing like adding stupid to an already pathetic situation. Perhaps the Redskins can talk to the Rams about that second overall pick

To make up for the RGIII trade, look who the Redskins signed at WR and for how much, wouldn't it have been nice to be able to snatch up an elite prospect in the draft. Well there is always next season. But its not like the Redskins have had salary cap issues in the rest past.
    :
    If somehow, the Redskins turn their ship around and make it into the post season, likely that road goes through the NCF-WEST. I see it that the NFC West teams have to so bloody each other with losses and the Redskins have to so dominate their division to assure home field, to have a real chance--only problem there is a team called the Eagles. Its year 3 of the RGIII experiment, and even though rookie QBs have taken their team to the Super Bowl, there are just too many questions with the defense and on offense.

As I see it if I was part of the Redskin brain trust, I'd hope to find a QB converted to RB somewhere in the draft to add an easy dimension to their game plan. But seriously, the RGIII trade likely will benefit the Rams for the next 5 seasons and it will take 3 years to undo the fallout of the trade

demiurge is offline Registered User

I'm a Bradford supporter and agree that the Rams made the right deal.

However, you need to add one more factor to it - Sam's huge salary. We would have gotten some of that back, and probably a 2-3rd round pick, if we drafted RGIII and dealt Bradford.

When all is said and done though I believe we came out well ahead in the bargain. We got a starting DT, CB, OLB and RB, and have the potential to get another high level piece with the current #2 pick.

Thank goodness Shanney took the 'I can't win without the next Elway' approach.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    However, you need to add one more factor to it - Sam's huge salary. We would have gotten some of that back, and probably a 2-3rd round pick, if we drafted RGIII and dealt Bradford.
    I'm no cap expert, and I could be sorely wrong, but I think a trade of Sam back then would have put a serious cap hurt on the books.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

If you look at this strictly in terms of the numbers provided in AV's post, this trade was a wash. Each QB has had both moments of brilliance along with a lot of struggles. Both have been hurt. Neither has yet lived up to the "savior" tag thrown upon them when they were selected. The Redskins made the playoffs in year one before faltering badly last season. And the Rams have shown improvement but have had mediocre 7-8-1 & 7-9 records the past two years.

One must look beyond the raw numbers. And to me the bottom line lies in the number of extra picks we've had (and still have) to address multiple needs. Advantage Rams- provided these picks continue to pan out and we start winning consistently.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm no cap expert, and I could be sorely wrong, but I think a trade of Sam back then would have put a serious cap hurt on the books.
    You are definitely correct short term. Tracked it down, the Rams would have taken a $18 million hit in 2012, which would definitely have caused pain. But then they would have saved $45 million on the cap over the next 3 years it looks like, so overall it would be a large net bonus. But in 2012 it would have been a tough pill to swallow.

I didn't think it would be that bad, but the way the contract is structured, yeah, it would have been pretty bloody. It was a WEIRD contract. And that's probably why Bradford doesn't want to restructure now - he actually gave them a hugely cap friendly deal the first year of his contract. It was only $3.2 million against the cap his rookie year. This year its $17 million.

At least, if this site is right: » Over the Cap- Sam Bradford Salary Cap and Contract Page

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

The 800 pond gorilla in the room is that at some point, much sooner then most would like, if a team has a solid, good, or elite QB, they are going to have to pay him. In today's NFL, the 100million dollar QB club is a growing one. Whether or not we think they are worth that kind of coin or not, its just a fact of reality.

For the Rams that's a bargain least for a few seasons, but at some point its a discussion the Rams will organization will have to make. Maybe its Fisher's experiment to try and build a winning team without a $100M QB. At least without a top WR core with a lot of $$$ invested in them, having a $100M QB is rather pointless. Yet no one knows Fisher's thinking and he isn't saying.

Funny thing is, very soon, much sooner then the Redskins wish, they too will be having the $100M QB question to grapple with. Now that's irony--get getting him shot his team in the foot, and they have to eventually pay him for doing so. Worst since it cost them so much, do the Redskins double-down on stupid, or let him walk out the door.

I just hope that other teams haven't been paying attention to this RGIII drama--Rams still have a number 2 spot and I don't doubt for a second the Rams wouldn't trade down to get a similar deal

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by demiurge View Post
    I'm a Bradford supporter and agree that the Rams made the right deal.

When all is said and done though I believe we came out well ahead in the bargain. We got a starting DT, CB, OLB and RB, and have the potential to get another high level piece with the current #2 pick.

Thank goodness Shanney took the 'I can't win without the next Elway' approach.
    I think the cap hit balances out. We reap savings with all the cheap draft picks, while RG3 will cost a ton soon enough, if he does not then he was not worth the trade in the first place.

Just to play a little Devil's advocate:

In those same years, RGIII team finished 3–13.
    In those same years, RGIII team fired it's head coach and staff and are starting over... the Rams are on the rise, with two first round picks still to come.
    In those same years, RGIII had suffered a major injury that will slow him down from producing as many rushing and or TD on the ground. Sam had the same injury but will have less effect on his production.
    In those same years, RGIII team started off with better talent around him but due to the trade he has less now then when he started. Sam's team will continue to get better.

End the end it will come down to teams success not individual stats IMO. That said the Rams still have to hit on this last draft pick or multiple ones if that's how they decide go.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-08-2014 at 10:36 AM.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Re: Some Stats relating to the RGIII Trade that Might Surprise You

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    All that is true, but the point is, there are many among the casual observers who act like RGIII is head and shoulders above Sam. He's not, and the Rams, by going with Sam, obtained Brockers, Jenkins, Pead, Ogletree, Stacy and the No. 2 pick in this year's draft. In the end, that's a lopsided trade in favor of the Rams.

I couldn't agree with this more AV. I should clarify that my devil's advocate post was merely intended as a fun exchange re stats.

For the record, I was thrilled with the trade in the first place and I still am. You don't have to hit home runs to win a game.... multiple base hits will do just fine. And that's what the Rams did with that trade. Leveraging the future in a good way.