Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Some things on my mind.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Re: Some things on my mind.

The need for a big time WR is a debate that will go on forever, it seems.But I don't see how what happened yesterday, including Amendola's injury, makes that any kind of short term solution. The Rams surely have more pressing concerns.

And there the fact that TO isn't yet fit to play & is not going to be anybody's idea of a quick underneath slot guy.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    All the Injuries sure did deal a heavy blow, I think Spags had this team ready to go, thinking they could beat or at least compete with Philly. Out the gate, The ED was electric (Watching on TV), The D was in on every play containing Vick and the Offense was on its way of making Philly roadkill, on their 1st play from srimmage.
    When JAX went out, you could collectively feel the Ed crowd going 'Here we go again'. It was all down hill from there, for the Rams.
    You being at the game, what was the feeling like when Jackson was sidelined?
    The crowd was still very much into the game...I don't know how you got the idea the crowd was thinking that. In fact, the dome was loud all the way through the third quarter. Maybe you have some volume control issue with your TV.

What DID make the crowd give a collective "Oh NO!" was seeing Amendola get hit hard and what looked to be a nasty illegal hit on that punt. When he went down, everyone held their breath. When he got up, we were all relieved, but cautious. When he went down the second time, everyone knew the game was over...of course, that was about the same time they announced Feely...

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I won't deny the fact that we need one or two good WR's. The problem is that Issac Bruce and Torry Holt aren't playing anymore...and there really isn't anyone I've seen from last year's draft that is close to what they could do.

What are we supposed to do, sign some other teams has-been that can't do it anymore, or do we overpay someone that hasn't worked in the same system?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Until we get a WR that can consistintely perform we will always be the same offense. Why dont you go ahead and name me a team that doesn't have a great WR but still makes it to the postseason, and not by fluke (Seahawks).

Last year these are the teams that made it :

Steelers (Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Heath Miler not to mention other good rookie WR's like Emmanuel Sanders)
    Packers (Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Jones)
    Chiefs (Bowe)
    Ravens (Boldin, Mason)
    Eagles (Jackson, Maclin)
    Falcons (White, Gonzalez)
    Bears (No-one spectacular but Knox, Hester, Bennett) still more reliable than the Rams.
    Saints (Colston, Meachem, Moore, Henderson)
    Patriots (Gronk, Hernandez, Branch, Welker)
    Jets (Holmes, Edwards, Keller, Cotchery)
    Colts (Wayne, Collie, Garcon)

We took a step forward grabbing our future star tight end. Yet some teams that I named here all went after more WR's because THEY KNOW thats what they need to take the next step, like the Seahawks went out and acquired Sidney Rice and Zach Miller.

The Steelers went after Jerricho Cotchery. Chiefs got Jon Baldwin and Steve Breaston. Pats got Chad Johnson. Ravens got Lee Evans, Torrey Smith, and Tandon Doss. Falcons got Julio Jones. Bears got Roy Williams. Eagles got Steve Smith, and the list goes on.

I like the fact that we tried to upgrade and went after MSW who very well may be solid, but there is no secret in the NFL. You absolutely need to be able to pass the ball. Our defense is set and ready to go. They may have a bad game here or there but are mostly solid, besides the injuries like Bartell and CB depth. The offense has been bad for a long time. If we get a bonafide WR that will make constant plays and cause OC's to lose sleep over, we will be ready for a deep playoff run.

Maybe that WR is Alshon Jeffery from the draft? Maybe an FA? Im not sure. But I do know that we will be talking about our WR again in this upcoming off season. Bradford needs somebody he can grow with, that will be an elite talent one day. I applaud DeSpags for going after MSW, and Kendricks and the rookie WR's. Just lets stop fooling ourselves and go grab a #1.
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Who Sosa?AJ green and Julio Jones were long gone by the time we picked. None of the other receivers were worth taking at 14, and the only really big name guy in free agency was Sidney rice and he has a ton of question marks. You keep going on and on about needing a star WR as if they grow on trees. They don't and don't act like TO or Randy moss would help anything. TO is injured and old and not the same guy he used to be, and Moss is retired.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    And there the fact that TO isn't yet fit to play & is not going to be anybody's idea of a quick underneath slot guy.
    This is the point I would drive home.

First, I sincerely doubt that anyone who has been sitting at home for most of the offseason is going to give the Rams much of an upgrade at the position. In Terrell Owens' case, he's still months away from being recovered from offseason surgery. There's a reason no team in the league has placed a call to the guy.

But more importantly, just because a guy plays the wide receiver position doesn't necessarily make him a fit as a replacement for Amendola. I debated this in another thread, but Amendola fills a very specific role on this team. He's an elusive slot receiver who also doubles as a return man on special teams.

Some fans clamor for guys like Owens, Moss, and even Avery, and while we can debate whether they represent an upgrade as an "overall" receiver, they're likely going to bring very little when it comes to filling the role that Danny's injury now leaves open. They're just different types of players.

Unfortunately, this isn't a Madden depth chart where you can plug anyone in and call it a day. If the Rams are looking to add someone to fill Danny's role, then I would advocate for bringing Gilyard back since he's the guy that worked at that position behind Danny all offseason. If you're not enthused about Gilyard, then I'd say let's see what Salas can do. But I don't think these players who are big on name recognition but small on specific fit offer real solutions.

Now, as for the Rams' need for a legitimate top receiver who can beat coverage and be a threat in the passing game, I'm on board with the team's need for that guy and have been for at least two seasons. But you're not going to find that guy in free agency now, and try as we might, the Rams front office doesn't seem to want to spend a lot of resources finding that guy. Until they get out of this "content with what we have" mindset, then we're going to have to live with the decent but possibly mediocre at best guys we have now.
    Last edited by Nick; -09-12-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Some fans clamor for guys like Owens, Moss, and even Avery,

I agree Nick TO and Moss will not replace the loss of Amendola, that being said I'm one of the fans that would like to get Avery back. But not to play slot, Salas and Pettis can get it done. Now that we are down a receiver to me it makes sense to add Avery back to the core of receivers because he knows the offense already. MSW and Gibby did not look great, I knows its just one game, but we have a spot open and Avery would be another deep threat. Mardy I know plays ST and the slot but i just don't think it's an upgrade over Salas.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-12-2011 at 06:12 PM.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This is the point I would drive home.

If the Rams are looking to add someone to fill Danny's role, then I would advocate for bringing Gilyard back since he's the guy that worked at that position behind Danny all offseason. If you're not enthused about Gilyard, then I'd say let's see what Salas can do.
    Salas should be the obvious choice here, Why bring someone back who couldn't cut it before? (Speaking in regards to Gilyard as well as Avery)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree Nick TO and Moss will not replace the loss of Amendola, that being said I'm one of the fans that would like to get Avery back. But not to play slot, Salas and Pettis can get it done. Now that we are down a receiver to me it makes sense to add Avery back to the core of receivers because he knows the offense already. MSW and Gibby did not look great, I knows its just one game, but we have a spot open and Avery would be another deep threat. Mardy I know plays ST and the slot but i just don't think it's an upgrade over Salas.
    Avery is not going to be any further up the depth chart as an outside receiver than he was before the Amendola injury. That's why I don't know how much sense it makes to bring him back now. The receiver the Rams are down is an inside slot guy. The picture on the outside where Avery would line up hasn't changed.

I can understand the lukewarm reception to the idea of bringing Gilyard back. I'm not crazy about it, but I think if you're looking to bring someone in to help fill the role that Danny's injury has created, he'd be an option. However, this could be a good opportunity to see if Salas can step up and do the job.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Nowhere did I ever state that I expected or wanted to bring in a receiver to REPLACE Danny Amendola....Im not dumb and I understand that he has a specific role on this team. Salas will step in for him most likely at this point.

Also, I am not pressuring to take a WR or get one now. I mean at the end of the season we have to go nab one. Dont use the excuse about Rice's injury because maybe 50% of guys we signed this offseason were injured last year.

And to Cfh128 what are you talking about? T.O posted 980 yards and 9 TD's. Had he finished the season he would of broke 1,000 yards for like the 10th season in his career. Terrell at this point is better than any WR on our team and thats not even the point. Im not saying GO GET TO! Im just showing how important it is to have a solid WR. We have to do something about it in the upcoming year if not now because if we dont we will be just like we were last year.

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

I just saw on espn that Amendola is week to week is this true?

We played against one of the best secondaries ever assembled. The timing for big plays was not there. I think the Rams had a good plan and could not excecute it. The Eagles are a better team lets face it. I think the defense held their own but got tired in the 4th and ended up getting pushed around late in the game. WR is a concern 100 pct but Im not ready to panic after one loss. We are a young team that played a veteran team that was one play away from the NFC championship last year.

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

P.S Kendricks will be fine he had two huge drops one that would have put us inside the 5 if not a score from the big fellow. Again young players give them time.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Avery is not going to be any further up the depth chart as an outside receiver than he was before the Amendola injury. That's why I don't know how much sense it makes to bring him back now. The receiver the Rams are down is an inside slot guy. The picture on the outside where Avery would line up hasn't changed.

I can understand the lukewarm reception to the idea of bringing Gilyard back. I'm not crazy about it, but I think if you're looking to bring someone in to help fill the role that Danny's injury has created, he'd be an option. However, this could be a good opportunity to see if Salas can step up and do the job.
    Here is what I'm thinking, we have two slot receivers on the roster Pettis and Salas. Both capable big red zone targets. On the outside Gibby and MSW both bigger slower receivers. DX gives us a deep threat but not sure he can hold up. If Gibby or MSW who has had the injury bug goes down at least Avery can play outside.

I would like to see if Salas is going to start catching the ball and making plays sooner then later. Pettis now has to step up.

Amendola maybe back in 8-10 weeks and Clayton will be ready in 5 maybe we bring in nobody. Pettis and DX both sat Sunday.

We might have to use that spot to bring in DB's...

LaRamsFanLongTime Guest

If we were to go after a FA WR named Moss or TO I know who I would prefer. Terell plays ball every sunday he is on the field. Moss on the other hand would be terrible on our team. This is a team that is gonna have to grind out wins and fight for the playoffs. Moss if he does not have instand gratification checks out he is a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I would absolutely love to see us go after T.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Im not saying GO GET TO!
    Uhh, sure about that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If Gibby or MSW who has had the injury bug goes down at least Avery can play outside.
    And I think if Gibby or MSW or DX go down, then it would make sense to think about bringing Avery back. But right now, we kind of have a logjam of guys on the outside, making his reacquisition unlikely at present, IMO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast