Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Some things on my mind.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Some things on my mind.

Spags and Devaney's strategy- which was to acquire a number of guys they targeted as "decent" receivers in lieu of acquiring a "big name" guy or drafting one in the first round the last two years was a sound one. The problem is, most of these guys have underachieved (Avery, Gibson) or haven't been able to stay healthy (Burton, Clayton, Alexander). The only guy that played above his ability was Amendola, and now HE'S hurt. The jury is still out on Sims-Walker.

I'll be honest- I don't know what the answer is at this point. Anybody that's any good already plays in the league somewhere. The guys we have are the guys we must go to battle with.

I don't think signing re-treads like Moss or T.O.- great as they once were- is the way to go. Truth is at one time I would have paused because of their attitudes, but now I just don't think they have much left.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    When the Rams got up 7-0, they should at least attempted to go deep a few times, but they stayed conservative with the run and with passing the underneth stuff. Sometimes you just have to Go for it! Last year's season ending loss to Seattle, Bradford was regulated to only throwing the underneth stuff, that game had many dropped passes also, producing the same results as yesterday. TO/Moss comes with heavy baggage, Would the Rams want to deal with that?
    Dear Coach Spags,

We totally agree with this guy! Do what he says. We think it would be a great idea.

Sincerely and with all our love,

Every DB on our schedule this year.

Seriously, like Eastwood said......a man's gotta know his limitations. This offense simply is not the GSOT. Just "going for it" with this offense will result in a ton of turnovers and some serious blowouts. Hopefully, this offense will have more big play capability in the future, but right now it simply does not.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PA_gal_in_OK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    Had Jackson been able to continue, there is no way Philly would have stopped him. They had zero run defense for Jackson - Williams runs a different style, and they were able to slow him down.
    I tend to disagree with this statement. Our rookies were being just that, rookies, and were out of place for that td run for Jackson. After that run they buckled down and didn't allow for that gap to open up again. By the way, I also saw a hell of a lot of holding by the Rams that was not called. The penalties in this case did not affect the turnout of this game. It was lack of an Oline, offense, as well as coverage of the Eagles Receivers that cost your team the game. I agree with your fans, your team needs some wide receivers. Basically you are one dimensional right now, you have a running game. No one is afraid of your receivers, nor should they be. You take out the run game and what do you have left, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Your defense was out on that field way too much. We knew that, we took advantage of it and started the run game ourselves. I have to admit that I was pretty surprised since the Eagles are usually a pass happy team, but the run was working and they worked it. Vick and McCoy worked your guys over bad. I really hope that your team gets it together and quick. I'd really hate to see the whiners or seapussies in the playoffs.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Dear Coach Spags,

We totally agree with this guy! Do what he says. We think it would be a great idea.

Sincerely and with all our love,

Every DB on our schedule this year.

Seriously, like Eastwood said......a man's gotta know his limitations. This offense simply is not the GSOT. Just "going for it" with this offense will result in a ton of turnovers and some serious blowouts. Hopefully, this offense will have more big play capability in the future, but right now it simply does not.
    but Hub, how do you know you don't have big play capability, if you don't test the waters? You have to attack sometime, can't always play the gunshy card!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

When the Rams got up 7-0, they should at least attempted to go deep a few times, but they stayed conservative with the run and with passing the underneth stuff. Sometimes you just have to Go for it! Last year's season ending loss to Seattle, Bradford was regulated to only throwing the underneth stuff, that game had many dropped passes also, producing the same results as yesterday. TO/Moss comes with heavy baggage, Would the Rams want to deal with that?
    When it comes to last year's game v. Seattle, dgr is 100% right. Spags was waaaayyy too conservative. If I was physically capable of throwing my 56" TV out my window, I would have- just sick to my stomach watching Bradford throw 3 yard check downs to Amendola all night and letting Charlie freakin' Whitehurst beat us. Disgusting. You throw caution to the wind and take some chances in a tough environment on the road. If you get beat, you get beat.

Yesterday was a different story. It's the first game of the season against a superior opponent. Testing the Eagles' secondary by throwing deep repeatedly probably wouldn't be the way to go. The biggest issue yesterday with the passing game were the 6 drops and the lack of protection all day. I have faith in McDaniels being able to run some good offensive sets at this year's opponents without resorting to the 3-4 underneath routes as much as we did last year.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Where was the time or the seperation for the big play? Bradford was getting rushed every pass. They blanketed our receivers and smashed the line on pass plays. Give credit where credit is do phillys defense killed the pass in that game. This will be a dink and dunk offense all year get used to it guys. This is not a high octance offense that will put up points at will. The key for the Rams is good defense control the clock and run a efficient balanced offense. It will be another year of Bradford playing with what he has while the receivers develop.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Nick, you obviously didn't understand my posts. I said I would love to go after TO, but im not saying GO AFTER TO! Usually when all the letters are capitalized and theres an exclamation mark it resembles yelling....I don't think TO is the exact answer but what have we accomplished?

I think McDaniels will bring out the best of all the WR's we have. But seriously, If we play like this, whats the point of getting to the playoffs? I am actually happy we lost last year because we would have made the playoffs and would of got embarressed by the Saints for the 2nd time. Everybody would of laughed at us, we would of lost 10 places in the draft, and only would of got in because of our horrible division.

Whats the point of going to the playoffs if you're going to get smoked in the first round? We may make it to the first round for every year, who knows? But I will bet my life that our team could not beat the Bears, Packers, Falcons, or Eagles in the playoffs.

We have to stop kidding ourselves. Maybe one of our guys break out. I dont know and neither does anybody here. But are we seriously banking on BRANDON GIBSON or some of these other over achievers? I love these guys and it may not show, but its time for us to take it to the next level.

Our run game is solid and has been tweeked. The new Dahl and Cadillac/Norwood combo has made our running game that much better. Also McDaniels was calling great plays yesterday. But is anybody here satisfied with getting into the first round of the playoffs and losing? Obviously not. And we may make it there, and I hope we do, but we probably wont be going much further.

Its time we go get somebody. We can last this season with the guys we have. I'd love to see us grab a WR in the next draft, and Im not talking about over-drafting a Austin Pettis....

Draft Board:

CB or WR, DT, S.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Put me down as a wussie. Both TO and Moss, (with Moss being too old at this point IMO) are cancerous. I do believe in character, like Bruce, Holt, Faulk, Ellard and Flipper all had, and in the end, that's what really matters. Yes I understand the ultimate goal is the Super Bowl and all is judged by that. I also believe time will show the real truth when it comes to the Cheatratriots and the alleged legacy, much like the Forty Niners and their gaming of the salary cap in the 80's.

However, prior to our injures we knew we were weak at receiver and the secondary at the very least, and we have been for some time. But it does take time to turn around a large boat like this organization, especially with the challenges we have faced;passing of the owner, new owner, a string of bad draft choices, lock out and an insane schedule for a team that was lucky enough to go 7-9 on the talent we had last year.

It was one loss to a really good team with a quarterback than can get a way like a greased pig. Let's see how we do against a supposedly good Giants team that got knocked around yesterday. It's not whether or not you get knocked down, but rather what fight you have in you to get back up.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

but Hub, how do you know you don't have big play capability, if you don't test the waters? You have to attack sometime, can't always play the gunshy card!
    The same way I know my 4 year old doesn't have drive-the-car capability. I could give him the keys, even put him in the driver's seat, but there is very little chance that he will successfully take it out for a spin around town and back home again in one piece.

Silly analogy, yes. But the point is still the same. The Eagles corners were superior to our receiving corp. I'm not sure that anybody could make an argument to the contrary. So with that knowledge, why waste the valuable (and few) scoring opportunities they had, by in essence, playing the lottery and "going for it."
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

The Eagles corners were superior to our receiving corp. I'm not sure that anybody could make an argument to the contrary. So with that knowledge, why waste the valuable (and few) scoring opportunities they had, by in essence, playing the lottery and "going for it."
    I think this is spot on Hub. That's just the facts I'm surprised people wanted to try and force the ball against these corners. I was not at the game but I would guess MSW was covered well all day. If anything the Rams should have stayed more conservative and ran the ball more... maybe with SJ they would have.

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Its time we go get somebody. We can last this season with the guys we have. I'd love to see us grab a WR in the next draft, and Im not talking about over-drafting a Austin Pettis....
    I guess I'm missing your point too. You say we have to go get somebody... I could have sworn we just drafted a tight end, 2 receivers, and signed Mike Sims walker and mark Clayton. There is an effort being made. I understand that you want a Calvin Johnson type of dominant WR but realistically there aren't many of these guys out there. And speaking of Calvin Johnson, how many WR busts did Detroit have to sort through before they hit on megatron?

Its easy to say "we need to go get a 1000 yards/10 tds a year" kind of guy. Its easy to say that with anything. "We need to go get a shutdown corner." "We need a 15 sacks a year defensive end" "we need a kick returner who can take it to the house every time." Problem is, if it were that simple then every team would be stacked from top to bottom. If they were easy to come by, Atlanta wouldn't have given the Browns half a million draft picks to move up for Julio Jones.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

All the whining is a result of the, "We want it all, we want it now!" mentality. Our team is showing steady improvement, but that is never enough. We got a little spoiled during the GSOT period and we want it back. Who wouldn't? But the reality is it wont be coming back. Different players, different coaches, different mentality. I think once we do finally get those last few missing pieces of the puzzle, look out!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    The same way I know my 4 year old doesn't have drive-the-car capability. I could give him the keys, even put him in the driver's seat, but there is very little chance that he will successfully take it out for a spin around town and back home again in one piece.

Silly analogy, yes. But the point is still the same. The Eagles corners were superior to our receiving corp. I'm not sure that anybody could make an argument to the contrary. So with that knowledge, why waste the valuable (and few) scoring opportunities they had, by in essence, playing the lottery and "going for it."
    I bet your 4 yr old would give it a hell of a try if you gave him a 50 mil guanranteed contract!
    Rambunctious likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I am not a downer guys. Its all in the best interest of our team. We dont have to guy after a TO or a Moss because clearly they would only be a stop gap with some risk. Like I have said on 3 other occassions, I applaud Billy and Spags for going out and grabbing some weapons for Sam to play with. Some injuries are devastating and were going to have to move on. I think with a #1 WR everyone else's play would be elivated like crazy. Gibson isn't bad, but to throw him out there against Nnamdi is insane. Same as MSW. Danny is one of the best slot wideouts in the NFL and is crucial to this offense.

Our running game is solid. This upcoming game will be a great one. The Giants are the most injury riddled team so far, with us being right after them. Great matchup and Eli will probably help us win the game if you know what I mean (Pick King). We have to shore up some things like discipline, overruning plays, and tackling, and obviously catching.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

YEAH, at last some realism is prevailing with the expectations of this team, I knew we were most likely to lose against Philly because the talent level is so glaring. This kind of game last year would have been an even worse beating, so I see a team that has improved from last year, but not by that much.??????
    Its going to be a work in progress all season like last year. The Rams want from an 0-3 start, so this next game is already looking huge for both team.?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast