Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Some things on my mind.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Some things on my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Nick, you obviously didn't understand my posts. I said I would love to go after TO, but im not saying GO AFTER TO! Usually when all the letters are capitalized and theres an exclamation mark it resembles yelling....I don't think TO is the exact answer but what have we accomplished?
    You're right, I don't understand your posts at all, because to me, it looks like you're arguing both sides. On one hand, you'd "absolutely love" to get T.O.. On the other hand, you aren't that interested in him because you didn't use all upper-case letters? Make little sense to me, but anyways.

I agree with the idea that the Rams need more than modest improvements at the receiver position if they're going to be a serious playoff contender. I've been arguing for two years now that the Rams would benefit tremendously from a legitimate threat atop their WR depth chart.

The problem is that kind of player isn't available in the current free agent market. When next offseason roles around, I hope the Rams take a serious look at addressing the position. However, and I said this last year, I'll believe it when I see it, as they seem to have convinced themselves that the current mediocre unit can get the job done. Maybe by season's end, they will have done so and we can all rejoice. But one game down, and that's not been the case.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Makes me wonder, with all these injuries, will Billy Devaney be forced to make a big trade, specifically for a corner? Maybe even a WR...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

I would absolutely love to see us go after T.O. Some people on this forum are the biggest wussies and are so afraid of T.O and his character.
    The reason I would not go after T.O. has nothing to do with his past locker room issues. I would say no to T.O. mainly because he would be a short term answer. For every ball that he would be targeted that would be a ball Lance, Salas or Pettis could either catch or drop hopefully catch! Bottom line is we need to developed some young WR not get T.O. or Moss for a season or two.

The Rams have always drafted great not good but great WR. We don't need to go get a vet on his last legs. We had a ton of needs this year and it was the first time in years we let players go that got picked up and made other rosters. That being said next year we will get a number one WR if we don't have on on this roster already.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    I bet your 4 yr old would give it a hell of a try if you gave him a 50 mil guanranteed contract!
    Yes, he would.

He'd still end up wrapping the car around a tree..........but he absolutely would give it his best.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The reason I would not go after T.O. has nothing to do with his past locker room issues. I would say no to T.O. mainly because he would be a short term answer. For every ball that he would be targeted that would be a ball Lance, Salas or Pettis could either catch or drop hopefully catch! Bottom line is we need to developed some young WR not get T.O. or Moss for a season or two.

The Rams have always drafted great not good but great WR. We don't need to go get a vet on his last legs. We had a ton of needs this year and it was the first time in years we let players go that got picked up and made other rosters. That being said next year we will get a number one WR if we don't have on on this roster already.
    I understand you. I feel the same way and yet at the same time I dont. If a top tier WR were available right now in FA would you not go after him because he takes away reps from young guys? I understand that TO isn't the long term solution, so I see why we wouldn't go after him. I want to create as much competition as possible and to get things rolling. Our passing game held us back last year, and if it goes like it did in week 1, then it will hold us back again.

I just dont understand how teams can completely fill their young QB's with weapons but we cant. I mean the Falcons had White, went out and got Gonzalez, and now Jones all for Matt Ryan. Even Newton had Olsen and Shockey come in. They retained Smith and also nabbed Legedu Nannee.

This team is filled with guys that can play #2, #3, slot. We just need a big play game breaker WR.

I understand you. I feel the same way and yet at the same time I dont. If a top tier WR were available right now in FA would you not go after him because he takes away reps from young guys? I understand that TO isn't the long term solution, so I see why we wouldn't go after him. I want to create as much competition as possible and to get things rolling. Our passing game held us back last year, and if it goes like it did in week 1, then it will hold us back again.

I just dont understand how teams can completely fill their young QB's with weapons but we cant. I mean the Falcons had White, went out and got Gonzalez, and now Jones all for Matt Ryan. Even Newton had Olsen and Shockey come in. They retained Smith and also nabbed Legedu Nannee.

This team is filled with guys that can play #2, #3, slot. We just need a big play game breaker WR.
    I understand you. I feel the same way and yet at the same time I dont.
    You lost me at hello....

If a top tier WR were available right now in FA would you not go after him because he takes away reps from young guys?
    Yeah if he's not old and about done, I would rather get the three draft picks reps in games. Before Holt was Holt he was a rookie, that we drafted. Before Bruce was Bruuuuuuce he was a rookie we drafted.

I want to create as much competition as possible and to get things rolling.
    Whats the point of having TO if he's not going to catch passes in games. The young guys have to play, just like Sam did last year. Lance and Salas will be much better at this time next year by playing in games.

I just dont understand how teams can completely fill their young QB's with weapons but we cant.
    This is why I love football so much, it's not easy. We have rebuilt this team in three years. We have just about turned over the whole roster... we have built the team that Billy and Spags want. They type of players that they want. That's the price a team pays when it changes coaching staffs. IMO the Rams are on track Sam will be here for a long time, getting him WR that will also be here will happen. The Rams always draft good WR, they will get it done patience. We have no idea none of us as to how good Pettis,Salas or Lance will be we just don't know. Kinda like we did not know how go Warner was.

I mean the Falcons had White, went out and got Gonzalez, and now Jones all for Matt Ryan. Even Newton had Olsen and Shockey come in.
    The Falcon are in a different place then us they are a player or two away we are not. By the way they gave up just about their whole draft to get Jones... scary if it does not work.

The Chicago Bears came out on top in a clash between two reigning division champions, thumping the Atlanta Falcons 30-12 at Soldier Field.
    Maybe they could used some draft picks on D just sayin

Even Newton had Olsen and Shockey come in. They retained Smith and also nabbed Legedu Nannee.
    I will take Lance the over Shockey.

We will get two stud WR we always do just be Patience.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-13-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Holt was drafted in round 1 and was expected to go beast mode. Pettis and Salas are both middle round picks. If they pan out, great. If not, its still not bad because we didn't use too high of a pick. Though you would like for your 3rd and 4th round picks to be a factor.

" Whats the point of having TO if he's not go to catch passes in games. " ? There isn't a point to any player if they aren't going to do there job. If you're referring to his injury, I already stated I'd like to contact him ONLY if he is ready to go.

I do understand it is hard to nab a #1 dominant WR. But we passed on guys like Sidney Rice, Anquan Boldin, and Vincent Jackson. Not saying we should have went after them, but there has been opportunities.

I do think we are one #1 WR away from being a potential superbowl team.

I also would take Lance over Shockey no questions asked. I am just showing what other teams have done to make it easier for their franchise QB's to succeed. What Bradford could be with a Larry Fitzgerald is just plain scary.

Holt was drafted in round 1 and was expected to go beast mode. Pettis and Salas are both middle round picks. If they pan out, great. If not, its still not bad because we didn't use too high of a pick. Though you would like for your 3rd and 4th round picks to be a factor.

" Whats the point of having TO if he's not go to catch passes in games. " ? There isn't a point to any player if they aren't going to do there job. If you're referring to his injury, I already stated I'd like to contact him ONLY if he is ready to go.

I do understand it is hard to nab a #1 dominant WR. But we passed on guys like Sidney Rice, Anquan Boldin, and Vincent Jackson. Not saying we should have went after them, but there has been opportunities.

I also would take Lance over Shockey no questions asked. I am just showing what other teams have done to make it easier for their franchise QB's to succeed. What Bradford could be with a Larry Fitzgerald is just plain scary.
    Holt was drafted in round 1 and was expected to go beast mode.
    And we will have more 1st rd picks in the future right?

" Whats the point of having TO if he's not go to catch passes in games. " ? There isn't a point to any player if they aren't going to do there job.
    My point is he's too old... your point, you wanted him to create competition, I don't want him to take reps away from the young guys in games. He's too old IMO.

Cap plays into that... we just had three years of top draft picks Sam, Long and Smith that's not cheap. Franchise QB don't come cheap.

OK... When did you think that before the draft? After FA? When? We did spend a lot of money and added lot of new starters.. IMO we maybe be a playoff team, we are still a few years away from a deep run... and in those years SAM will get better and as you say we will nab a stud WR.

What Bradford could be with a Larry Fitzgerald is just plain scary.
    Sam will be a Ram for a decade or longer we will build the team around him.

All the parts will come together.

Thats the point. I want us to spend a first round pick or some money in the future for somebody that can take us to the top.

Your TO point is valid. He is very old, but still a solid player. I think at this point we slide with what we got which I dont mind too much (wish Clayton was healthy).

And I understand that there is a cap. I love what DeSpags did this offseason and it proves they want us to go all the way. I understand we probably couldn't afford a WR this offseason. Next season we re-do Long's contract, and Sam's guaranteed mills die down. We should have some more space.

I love this team. I love this organization. I love these coaches. I love these players. I will support everyone here until the day that I die. I love what Devaney and Spags have done with this organization. I just hope for our offense's sake, and for Bradford's sake we get him a sweet weapon eventually. This upcoming draft looks like an excellent place to go after one (Blackmon, Floyd, Fuller, Jeffery).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234