Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Are some of us wrong??

As time passes quickly, I have to ask myself if maybe Shaw is right about Martz. He does not appear to be drawing much interest from the football community like I thought he would. In fact, it now looks like the one interviewed he was in, the job is going to another candidate. Maybe the Rams organization isn't far off with this one. I guess only time will tell
    Last edited by RamWraith; -01-17-2006 at 09:19 AM.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Re: Are some of us wrong??

I'm firmly in the "we should've fired Martz" camp. But if he learns some lessons from this experience -- ST are important, you can't ignore the line, you can't abandon the run, too many turnovers are a bad thing, defense is part of the game too -- he could be an effective HC again. However, I don't know if he'll learn the lessons because he's arrogant. And I don't think he evaluates talent well enough to walk into a rebuilding situation.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    As time passes quickly, I have to ask myself if maybe Shaw is right about Martz. He does not appear to be drawing much interest from the football community like I thought he would. In fact, it now looks like the one interviewed he was in, the job is going to another candidate. Maybe the Rams organization isn't far off with this one. I guess only time will tell
    Time will tell. What's scary about Martz is a dodgy ticker and fights with the FO.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

At this point, none of the fired coaches have landed another job, so its not that surprising.

If Martz isn't hired this year, he'll be one of the hottest candidates out there next year.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Perhaps Martz will fall back to the ranks of OC and prove that his specialty is simply running an aggressive style offense as good as anyone.

I think half the reason Martz is not seeing much interest is because of the type of teams that succeed in the NFL the last 5 or 6 years. Teams like the Colts with their great offense can't seem to get by the Pats or the Steelers with their defense. The timing of offenses seems to be shut down by defenses that can disrupt that timing and get pressure on the QB.

The Rams were really the only team to do it, but even still, look how effective the Bucs, Titans, and Saints were at disrupting their offense back then.

So if you're an owner/GM right now, you're looking for Belichick clones, not Martz clones (or the Man himself). Basically Parcels over Coryall(?), or Walsh.

I would. Even moreso these days, the teams that make the playoffs are the teams with good defenses, and of those, the one's with the better offenses will prevail, but it starts with that defense. At the very least, the teams with a very good balance, like Denver, the Pats, and the Seahawks. But a team like the Bengals really never stood a chance to get to the big game. They were all offense. Yet the Bears had a first round bye with only a defense, and lost to a similar defense with a bit better offense, in the Panthers.

I'm an offensive minded fan, but you can't really argue with a plan of not making any mistakes, and winning the turnover battle more often than not...and then being able to take advantage of the offensive opportunities when they come up. It's not pretty, but you can't argue the formula.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I agree "AR" we will be ... Martz is one of the greatest O.C. in the NFL , I have never thought he was a good head coach from the start ... the team he took to the 2nd S.B was D.V. team and part of that team was Mike's as well ... Ive seen alot of head coaches and supporting staff come and go in 46 yrs with that being said I was worried when he took over ... Sorry that I did not finish this post my computer crashed and went out and bought a new one and this the 1st chance Ive had to get back online at 11:30 tonite the 18th
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -01-26-2006 at 11:52 AM.

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by OldRamsfan
    I agree "AR" we will be ... Martz is one of the greatest
    O.C. in the NFL , I have never thought he was a good head coach from the start ... the team he took to the 2nd S.B was D.V. team and part of that team was Mike's as well ... Ive seen alot of head coaches and supporting staff come and go in 46 yrs with that being said I was worried when he took over ... D.
    uh no, check your facts. the 2nd SB team had a completely rebuilt defense. but thanks for trying.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Martz not getting a look is more to due with his price tag then anything else. He will be back, if not this year next.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    Martz not getting a look is more to due with his price tag then anything else.
    I'm also wondering if his health is a big question mark for some teams, who may not want to commit to three plus years.

general counsel is offline Registered User

His failure to get hired right now may be due to two non coaching factors. One, concerns about his health. two, concerns about his ego and ability to get along with the front office. public statements criticizing your bosses, even when accurate, are not generally good career moves.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tim
    tim is offline Registered User

in a rush so I didn't read this thread yet, but I don't see Martz getting a HC job this year due to health risks. A team is probably going to want to see him healthy for a full year before giving him a job.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think one thing that many are over looking is the character of the coach. Will he get the players attention, will the players respond to him, will he be a good manager, does he have a plan to bring in a staff that will work well with him to build a solid team.

In the case of Martz I can't answer yes to most of these questions. I think that is the major reason Martz isn't high on teams lists.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    His failure to get hired right now may be due to two non coaching factors. One, concerns about his health. two, concerns about his ego and ability to get along with the front office. public statements criticizing your bosses, even when accurate, are not generally good career moves.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    This is probably a big part of it. In addition, I am sure that he has gotten offers for OC, as well, but his ego will not allow him to go backwards in his career.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    does he have a plan to bring in a staff that will work well with him to build a solid team.
    Perhaps the biggest question of all after he brought in Marmie from a poor Arizona defense to try and run the Rams D only to have it collapse.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I think the Marmie thing is really hurting Martz's resume right now, along with his health and other factors.
    Quote Originally Posted by RealRam
    What next, NFL gay players kissing on the mouth. To me it is S.O.S.: simply/obscene/sickening. Rest assured I will never cheer for a known homo player

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast