Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Some Week 2 Thoughts

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

Re: Some Week 2 Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    Sam's progressions are to look at one WR for a few seconds and then throw it to him or dump-off. There is no WR 2 or WR3 in this offense. I was thinking during the game how Martz would never have a Sam Bradford as a QB. Then, I also remembered how no NFL team wants to have Martz on their coaching staff either

Not down on Bradford, but he's more of a caretaker QB who happens to earn a ton of money and his ROI ain't that good. The first half, he looked like a scarred Marc Bulger out there even though the Coons weren't really putting the heat on him. He was checking-down almost instantly and that's why he hasn't been sacked in two games...he unloads in a real hurry and gives up quickly on the play.
    Caretaker QB? Interesting how he played just as well if not better vs the Cardinals and Falcons then either Drew Brees or Matthew Stafford. Hes on pace for 40 TDs, 15 ints and 5,000 yards. Its unlikely he will actually do that, but thats what hes on pace for after 2 games. How is that bad or game manager numbers?

How are the checkdowns a bad thing? He doesnt do it alot if at all on 3rd down. It helps prevent sacks and its something of a run game that the rams cannot generate. So how is it a bad thing?

Theres not a QB I see play today that doesnt see open receivers at times. The idea Bradford gets criticized for that so much confuses me.

Also football is a teamsport. The defense has to step up. The Rams are much improved on offense, but not enough to where they can win shootouts. The Ravens defense won the game today. The Patriots defense won the game on Thursday. Even the Saints defense won them a game today. Its a team effort. True, in recent years Bradford and the offense let the defense down. Now that the offense is finally improved, the defense needs to keep its game up. I dont see that happening. And without Jackson the running game is terrible.

Hate to say this, but the Rams are still a year away. They'll probably go 8-8 again this year, but to make it over that hump they need depth at Oline, and a running back, and a better defensive cordinator.
    J-RodRamFan likes this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post
    Caretaker QB?
    Yeah, I found this an amusing take. Gimme a caretaker QB every time who gets 300 yards passing and multiple TD's a game. My guess is Fisher feels the same.

Yodude is offline Registered User

but he's more of a caretaker QB
    Caretaker huh? I agree, he's been pretty much "taking care" of business.

Other than that, I don't know what the hell you're talking about, and I guarantee you that not too many other people around here do either.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

macrammer is offline Registered User

For me this loss falls squarely on the defense and St penalties. I watch the game tonight and I see those corners mugging each WR and not letting them off the scrimmage line. I watch our games and we play 10 yards off in soft zone (not sure??) Bradford was least of MY worries today.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

One thing that had me scratching my head was why we took the timeout before the 2 minute warning?

With 2.03 (I think) on the clock why not let the time run down to the warning. That would almost surely force the Falcons to run the ball. Instead we take the time out and give the falcons the chance to have a possibility to throw without much risk as most plays takes at least 3 seconds anyway and the clock would stop no matter what….. We had their running game under control and I am pretty sure we could have stopped their drive if they would have had to run on all 3 downs……

Overall I am positive with the team not giving up. If it was not for that unlucky bounced ball it would have been a tie. We only need to make a little less penalties and maybe force some more turnovers on D and we can play head2head with most teams. Even on the road!

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Nice breakdown. I like the fact that we didn't give up in the game. Our first half was terrible and didn't click at all. We still managed to only lose by 7. I was not feeling the play-calling. These screens and 5 yard throws will not get us down the field.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    Caretaker huh? I agree, he's been pretty much "taking care" of business.

Other than that, I don't know what the hell you're talking about, and I guarantee you that not too many other people around here do either.
    You and not too many people around here don't know what I'm talking about? I'm talking about a pretty good QB who is a huge salary and cap-hit and isn't by anyone's standard an elite QB. Does that make it any clearer?

I'm not down on Bradford except when it comes to ROI. The NFL is a hard-cap professional sports organization where the money you spend on Player A means you have less to spend on Players B, C, D.. It's time for Bradford to start earning his elite pay by being ELITE. Throwing dump-offs after a two-second read isn't elite. Getting jittery in the pocket when there is no pressure isn't elite. Getting passes deflected at the line several times a game and you're not a short dude like Pat Haden isn't elite.

I want to see Bradford succeed and it looks like he's getting there sometimes, but his contract is horrid for what he brings to the team and as a NFL QB at this point. Poor ROI like I said. That doesn't mean I dislike the guy at all, but he drains more money than he's worth in a hard cap league.

Randart is offline Registered User

I really like Sammy alot, but he has always stared down his recievers too much and does not fake pass early in his reads... or at least it is very rare he does this. I think that is how the passes get blocked so much he is telegraphing his pass direction and also its reciever too early and too much! Also the defense is very different, we don't have experianced safeties so I think that is why we are in a kinda prevent zone so the guys don't have to be one on one much cept the corners. This is where we miss guys like Mikell, just growing pains once TJ and the other young safeties and back field get used to each other I think the Defense will improve vastly. Not the coordinators fault in my humble opinion. Actually think he is doing a good job!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

It's not a bad thing until it's expected by the Defense. I'm not blaming Sam for his interception that went through Richardson's hands, however, look at the play. Was Richardson necessarily open? Not really. If he caught it the resulting play would've been a yard gain at the most. Therefore, what bothers me, is that it seems like the dump offs are too relied on at this point and it's obvious to me, the viewer, and it's clearly obvious to the other team.
    live4ramin likes this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

RealRam is offline Registered User

Just found this on Rams injuries from yesterday vs ATL.

Rams injury report:
    Rodger Saffold on crutches, Matt Daniels done for the year

Monday, Sept. 16, 2013 a.m.
    By Ryan Van Bibber
    The injury report got a little longer this week.

St. Louis Rams Rodger Saffold went down with a knee injury in the second quarter. He left the game and did not return. Saffold left the stadium on crutches.

The severity of Saffold's knee injury is unkown. Head coach Jeff Fisher said that Saffold would get an MRI on Monday. For now, Joe Barksdale is most likely to continue starting in place of Saffold on quarterback Sam Bradford's right. That adds an extra element of game planning to the mix for the Rams. Barksdale struggled against the Falcons' pass rush. He'll need help from an extra blocker against the better pass rushing teams.

Needless to say, it's still not clear when Saffold will be able to get back into the starting lineup.

This is Saffold's fourth season in the league. He hasn't made it through more than 10 games since his rookie season in 2010.

Safety Matt Daniels was injured Sunday as well. He broke his ankle. Daniels wasn't seeing many snaps with the defense, but he has been a key component in an improved special teams group. It's important not to overlook the loss. The Rams are struggling to play consistently; a change to the special teams lineup just adds one more wrinkle to the equation.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Cook was supposedly getting LBer and Safety double team on every down and that's why he didn't get many opportunities. That's probably going to continue for a while.

Losing to a playoff team on the road = it's silly to get overly upset about losing a game like that. This is an exceptionally young team, they showed it this week that they are still developing.
    Torry Holt likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Sam Bradford, after 2 games, has a 93.1 passer rating, and is on a pace for 5,000+ passing yards and 40 TD passes.

The running game has been nonexistent and pass coverage has been poor.

How, faced with those facts, people still elect to focus on Sam's imperfections is beyond me.
    mde8352gorams and clarasDK like this.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Sam's progressions are to look at one WR for a few seconds and then throw it to him or dump-off. There is no WR 2 or WR3 in this offense.
    At some point, after four years, a reasonable person has to assume that Bradford is part of the problem as to the vanilla play calling. I recall every week in his rookie season thinking we would "eventually" open the playbook, but assumed we were "protecting our 60 million dollar investment" and were easing him into the NFL. (refer to last game of season vs. Seattle to see how much we opened it up in the final must win game of the year).

Apparently we are still "easing him into the NFL". At this rate, in only about 16 or 17 years we'll actually incorporate some plays that have more than 1 read.

This OC isn't doing him any favors, but I just don't see this getting a whole lot better. This is a "dink and dunk" offensive philosophy with the down field plays (other than the occasional bomb to Givens) coming in the form of a one or two hurry up series a game in the second half...if needed.
    live4ramin likes this.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

ohh, and Finnegan is a liability. He should be moved to safety immediately or benched/released.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bradwill View Post
    You and not too many people around here don't know what I'm talking about? I'm talking about a pretty good QB who is a huge salary and cap-hit and isn't by anyone's standard an elite QB. Does that make it any clearer.
    Why didn't you just say this in the first place instead of clouding the issue by using the ambiguous term "caretaker QB"? I've certainly never heard an NFL QB called that, and in all honesty, my first reaction to reading it was that you were trying to poke Bradford supporters with a stick. Apparently that wasn't your intent, but you made a point of being critical of his play, said Martz would never want him, and compared him to a "scared Marc Bulger", so the reactions you got should have been expected.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -09-16-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast