Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Some Words of Wisdom on the Occasion of my 13,000th Post

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Some Words of Wisdom on the Occasion of my 13,000th Post

On the occasion of my 13,000th post here at ClanRam, I thought I'd share what gives me hope in these difficult times.

I am convinced that good football teams rarely emerge gradually. Rather, more often than not, there is a "quantum leap" that occurs from one year to the next. We may be seeing that this year with teams like the Lions, Niners, Raiders and Bills.

Once the leap occurs, you can look back and see where the seeds were planted. Typically, after years of acquiring core players, a few key additions (and maybe a bit of good fortune from the schedule makers, injury Gods and other assorted agents of fate), a team finally starts to click.

Could the Rams be one of those teams? I think they can.

They have the QB. I truly believe that. Ignore Bradford's current stats. He has not been playing with any support this year. But if you can't see his obvious upside, both from a physical standpoint and as a team leader, you're just not looking hard enough.

We have other key players as well. I think the O line is better than they appear. In my mind, a "perfect storm" of nagging injuries, a new offensive system, a shortened preseason, the injury to Jackson, and the problems with the receiving corps have conspired to make the line look awful. They will get better. I truly believe that.

Other potential core players are there. Jackson is still part of the mix. Brandon Lloyd could be. Kendricks, Salas, Alexander and Hoomanwanui have potential. The defense also has key pieces in Long, Quinn, Laurinaitis and Mikell. More will be needed, but when the offense starts giving the defense a lower "degree of difficulty," we'll see more from this unit.

And so, I have hope that this Rams team will ultimately "click." A few playmakers here and there, and it could be sooner than many expect.

Either way, I'll still be here for another few thousand posts (at least!)
    RamDez, HoustonRam, Varg6 and 6 others like this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Some Words of Wisdom on the Occasion of my 13,000th Post

Wow in a little over 7 years you've contributed just under 2000 posts a year to this site. Impressive & Grats. Great assessment of the team by taking a realistic look with all things considered.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Makes my 3000th post look like nothing!

You have an extremely accurate point here, and that is illustrated by the fact that about 5 out of the 12 playoff teams shuffle every year. Every year there is a team that goes from worst to first in a division(usually the NFC South); I'm pretty sure that KC did it last year. Teams get hot one season and sometimes stay up, and others fall back down. Look at the Dolphins a few years ago of the Chiefs now. The Bills definitely could fall back next year since their top 3 offensive players are all free agents.

But what does that mean about us? Well, last year we were a flash in the pan. Everything clicked and we improved by 6 games when no one gave us any credit and we had a revolving door at receiver. But at least the door could catch. This year, our offense has lagged learning the new system, they haven't caught balls that have hit them in the hands, and our defense has let some big plays happen which make it look a lot worse than it is.

We've had an easier schedule than it seemed it would be, but because of our own mistakes and injuries to our secondary and key offensive playmakers we've lost. I would much rather be able to point to those problems than to just say that we've been outplayed. You give up 4 straight games with a turnover return TD and you're going to lose. We held Green Bay to it's lowest point total all year and shut them down in the second half. We outplayed the Giants. We should have beaten the Skins, and minus real bad injuries, we should have been able to beat the Eagles.

Next year, we will. This year, we'll survive, train up, and get angry for next year. Or maybe we'll go on a run, who knows?
    I believe!

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

guess youll need another 1000 to get of 13000

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Thanks for the warning.

Seriously, congrats on the 13,000th!

You bring up some excellent points. My caution if you will is that as RAMS fans, myself included, we tend to overrate our players. I agree that we have some can't miss guys, Bradford, Lauranitis, Jackson to name a few but there are others that are very questionable especially from an outsiders point of view. That's just it we're not outsiders and it's very hard to give an honest and unbiased grade to all of our players. The word potential is always in our minds because they are our guys.

Going into this season we all knew we had a brutal schedule but being winless at this point of the season wasn't ever part of the discussion. Which brings me back to my ramble about overrating our own players. I'm as guilty as the next RAMS fan.

The question that is heavily in my mind is what does it really take to be a winner in the NFL?

Look at the Whiners...basically the same team as last season with the exception of a new headcoach. Does that mean they had the talent all along but the wrong leader? Is that our problem? Or do we have the right leader but not enough talent? It's a tough one to answer.
    rNemesis likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

The key to most of the teams you mentioned is their defense. In the Rams D, the LB's have been a major disappointment and it appears out side of J Lau, we have mediocrity there at best. If we can sign an FA LB that is not over the hill, we could move that unit ahead. Robbins is showing age so we need some help there as well. Will Quinn start to produce? Perhaps missing a year his baby steps are expected??

The Whiners and the Raiders are with new coaches this year with virtually the same cast of characters BUT they are playing inspired football due to new philosophy. Lions seem to have drafted well and are fun to watch.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

You always have to end with a threat, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    TekeRam likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

live4ramin is online now Registered User

Remarkable.

Just guessing, I'd say you average at least two hundred words per post. That's alot to say in a thoughtful way.

Evan more rep to you, Sir.
    Let the hype begin.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Psssh, 13000 posts. That's nothing.
    live4ramin, laram0, Rammed and 1 others like this.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I'm never going to catch up to 13,000 posts... but you only have 2 blogs. I can over take you there. Ha Ha!

Now I just need to figure out how to blog.
    ZiaRam likes this.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    psssh, 13000 posts. That's nothing.
    lol per the king poster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I'm never going to catch up to 13,000 posts... but you only have 2 blogs. I can over take you there. Ha Ha!

Now I just need to figure out how to blog.
    I'm being you on blogs son!! don't hate
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -10-20-2011 at 01:13 AM.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I wonder...when you are at work all day, do you do anything besides post on this site?

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    The key to most of the teams you mentioned is their defense. In the Rams D, the LB's have been a major disappointment and it appears out side of J Lau, we have mediocrity there at best. If we can sign an FA LB that is not over the hill, we could move that unit ahead. Robbins is showing age so we need some help there as well. Will Quinn start to produce? Perhaps missing a year his baby steps are expected??

The Whiners and the Raiders are with new coaches this year with virtually the same cast of characters BUT they are playing inspired football due to new philosophy. Lions seem to have drafted well and are fun to watch.
    Well, as I said following the draft, I thought that this year's draft was mainly focused on who could produce for us in the future, and not specifically this year. When your top four picks are three receivers(who typically take 2 years to mature into NFL caliber) and a talented DE who didn't play the last year of football, you're not looking to get a ton of immediate dividends. So in the long run, I'm not at all upset that we're not getting good production out of our rookies yet, because I thought all along that this was more of a long term strategy than a win it now philosphy.

If it was win now, we'd probably have grabbed Liguet, since we already had starting DE's, and we possibly wouldn't have grabbed Kendricks for someone somewhat more plug-inable. We probably would have gone 'backer in round 3 or 4. But no, this was to add value and long term payoff.

Looking forward, yes, we need to see why the new linebackers aren't working out as well as they should, and why our run defense is still lacking. Obviously our corners need help, but when you have 9 on IR, that kind of thing happens. Next year it seems like we still need help on all three levels of the defense, and work on the offensive line, but we'll see how we do to finish up. I have confidence that a real offseason will get our receivers and Sam on the same page.

As for the Whiners and the Lions and Raiders, their success stories can all be attributed to different things. For the Lions, it's an offensive line that finally came together and a glass QB who's finally healthy. The defense is still a weak point, but their front four are doing an awesome job and are covering for a weak secondary. The Raiders have a better HC now, who has control over the team and hasn't been flip flopping over QB's on a weekly basis. The defense is playing a bit better, but overall, it's the QB stability that's making it work. In San Fran, it does indeed have everything to do with the coach, because simply, Singletary is a horrible head coach. I think their defense is playing a bit above what they expected, and Harbaugh actually works with Smith to make him a credible QB, which is making all the difference.

Now, do we have the right leadership? I think we do. The defense, despite some issues, has been the strong point of our team since Spags got here. Further, I've never heard anything bad from the players about him, which puts him so much higher than Linehan that it's not even funny. Last, we just brought in McDaniels who has a proven system and one that took a couple years with full offseasons to get rolling in Denver. Sam is doing well in it, he really is. Once the line gets in sync and the receivers start using stickum, we'll be rolling in no time.

Keep the faith!
    Rammed and Agrajag like this.
    I believe!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    I wonder...when you are at work all day, do you do anything besides post on this site?
    Let's see.... I typically work about 11-12 hours in a day, and I spend about 20 minutes posting so... yeah... I think I get a few things done outside of this site.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Congrats Av! You da man.

I agree with your assessment, especially regarding the defense. I think the offense and defense will be a synergistic system, as most teams generally are, but the offense has to pull their weight first before the defense gets that 2010 energy back. Hopefully with Lloyd and Clayton (possibly) now in the mix we can look like a more efficient offense. On paper, we look awesome. I am truly hoping it translates to the field, especially against Dallas. I can't stand them.

I really actually like Spags, despite how some feel about him now, and I'd hate to have to start over...again because this season was a waste. The Rams have to prove to us and Stan that this team isn't a joke and is one of the teams rising in the NFL, not regressing.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast