Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Some of you are just kidding yourselves.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Some of you are just kidding yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    A lot of sensible comments here that stress patience and time. New owner, new FO, New coaching staff, many youngsters on the team and frankly Rams seem to be doing better in whom they select. It is never going to be a Homerun with each selection.

On the flipside, even with all of that said, I do not see this it as impatience or short sightedness for the fan that wants a winner today. Rams have had plenty losing seasons since 1990 so I get where that voice is coming from. And now we have another losing season with the distinct possibility of double digit losses again. It surely is close to being our time to end the losing and have a winning tradition again. And I believe the owner and FO need to feel and try to understand why and where those without patience are coming from.
    I don't think there is any doubt about Stan "feeling and understanding" the frustration. Stan has been around a long time as a minority owner, and as such, I doubt the Rams having been consistently drubbed over the years was easily tolerated by him - rather quite the opposite. It wasn't like Fish came cheap. Whether Jeff proves to be the right guy or not, I believe Stan gave it his best shot as an owner.

I'll throw this out there: I may write about patience now, and mean it. That said, when the Rams visit the Colts next Sunday, I am not going to be in "patience mode." I want a win on gameday - every gameday - just like the rest of you!!
    RealRam likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

On the flipside, even with all of that said, I do not see this it as impatience or short sightedness for the fan that wants a winner today.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting a winner today. There is, however, something wrong with stomping your feet and throwing a tantrum in which every person on or associated with the team is labeled a failure each time the Rams lose.
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    There is nothing wrong with wanting a winner today. There is, however, something wrong with stomping your feet and throwing a tantrum in which every person on or associated with the team is labeled a failure each time the Rams lose.
    Yes, with that I agree wholeheartedly....But I do want a winner NOW !!!

Seriously....I am saddened this year is another losing season. I (as well as many on the board) had higher expectations. Once we lost Sam and lost the last two games, the next year mantra kicked in but I am still very interested to see what type of character this team displays. I see the pieces coming together.....

Yes, with that I agree wholeheartedly....But I do want a winner NOW !!!
    Nick, macrammer and citr92 like this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

AV raises good points, though I am frustrated as a fan on several fronts.

The first is that we have repeated the same cycle of regime change since 2003 without success. This is why some are prone to "doom and gloom", the "here we go again" syndrome, if you will. People were disenchanted with Martz. We fired him and brought in Linehan to restore sanity. He proved inept. We lost. We fired him. We brought in the hot coordinator Spagnuolo, who promised to bring discipline and accountability. He brought only more losing. We fired him. We brought in Fisher, the long-time veteran who figured to finally be the guy to get us going. After a 7-8-1 season, we start losing again and but for a couple of games this year have not played well at all. Losing Bradford is a killer, but as mentioned on an earlier thread, other teams find ways to win with back-up QB's or less-than-ideal circumstances. Ask the Jets- a team predicted to win no more than 3-4 games this season and coached by a big mouth buffoon. They're 5-4 with a rookie QB, no running game and have beaten NE and NO.

Secondly, while losing Bradford is a legitimate blow, we weren't playing well BEFORE we lost him. Guys expected to do well and/or take their game to the next level have not. The run defense is poor. The offensive line has been a decidedly mixed bag. I would even go so far as to say we have underachieved, because I believe there is individual talent on this football team. Some guys- Quinn, Stacy, Ogletree to name a few- are exceeding expectations. But too many are not, and that's trouble with a capital "T".

Thirdly, is our season-long lack of discipline in the form of penalties, 4th most in football. We come out yesterday and immediately allow the opponent to extend drives with-count 'em-FOUR PENALITES on the opening drive. Some can be excused as youthful mistakes, but not all. There are plenty of veterans contributing to this as well. This is an indictment of the coaches, who need to do a better job of teaching and/or acquiring intelligent players who won't shoot themselves in the foot or make the same mistakes time and again.

I would never say the organization 'doesn't care about winning" or "the entire team stinks" etc. because that's neither true nor fair. But there are only so many times we can use words like 'rebuild" or "young" or "patience" or "new regime" to explain losing before it grows old. Think about it: the last 10 YEARS have been spent trying to find silver linings in dark clouds regarding Rams football. It's been too long.

There is no substitute for winning.

punahou is offline Registered User

We didn't strike out on Austin. Perhaps the count is 0-1, but we can still hit a home run.

Again, that happens to every team. Plus, the Rams have had plenty of players who have outperformed their draft placement.

I'll tell you what that's worth: nothing. Every team can play the "we could have had" game. Its meaningless (particularly when you're comparing how players are faring after 9 games).

To say that you're disappointed with who we have is odd. Ogletree is having a great rookie year. McDonald was showing promise before he was hurt. And Austin has shown flashes - give him time.

I feel like you were trying to agree with me on some level, but in the end just proved my points about short-sighted impatience.
    I am agreeing with you on certain levels, and in other certain areas I am disagreeing.
    I never mentioned Olgletree or McDonald. My main point is that this new FO has shown a penchant to try an manipulate the draft-- which isnt a bad thing when it works. Someone like Austin (BTW I used the term strike out as in venture forth, not baseball strike out) we should demand excellence from, based on his draft position and what we did to get him.

Why we keep making excuses for people not performing is the very definition of insanity (doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results).
    These guys are getting paid more money than most american citizens will ever see in their lifetimes, to play a game- and that includes players making the league minimum.

I am disappointed in the fact that even though we have made strides in certain personel,
    we would make Dennis Greene proud, as we are still.... who we are.

What I think many players of today are lacking is pride of ownership. They feel entitled as an athlete, rather than lucky to be where they are.

Some of the picks (mostly at the WR spot) have been a lot higher than where they should have been.
    Perhaps Im Jaded because prior to the GSoT, the Rams declined primarily due to poor drafting resulting from the Dickerson trade.

As far as short sighted impatience.... well Im not as patient as some here I guess. Its not like we see the same scenario played out year after year... while other teams actually make strides when we are taking baby steps.

I really refuse to accept being a non relevant doormat.

Head Slap is offline Registered User

So what you are really saying is "I'm a bigger better fan than you and I was here first"

Quote Originally Posted by Head Slap View Post
    So what you are really saying is "I'm a bigger better fan than you and I was here first"
    No, what I'm saying is that complaining about everything doesn't speed up the process one bit, so you might as well look for the good and try to enjoy the ride.
    Rambos likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

No, what I'm saying is that complaining about everything doesn't speed up the process one bit, so you might as well look for the good and try to enjoy the ride.
    You may be somewhat unique from that perspective. I would imagine all true Ram fans look for good as much as they can whilst being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of losing over the year. Enjoying the ride is all a matter or perspective. I hold no issue with impatience, complaining, criticizing and or the fans that choose to look at the glass as half full....We all bring a different perspective and there is no right or wrong....just opinions.

I sometimes feel IMO we as Ram fans are used to losing. We can be complacent. Forgiving. Ever hopeful. We would make horrible Eagle or Giants fans !!

But, enough is enough. As long time Ram fans, I would say we deserve much better then what we have been given. Time to get this thing fixed. And while we have zero influence over the organization, we should demand more then we have been seeing.
    Last edited by macrammer; -11-04-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

You may be somewhat unique from that perspective. I would imagine all true Ram fans look for good as much as they can whilst being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of losing over the year. Enjoying the ride is all a matter or perspective. I hold no issue with impatience, complaining, criticizing and or the fans that choose to look at the glass as half full....We all bring a different perspective and there is no right or wrong....just opinions.

I sometimes feel IMO we as Ram fans are used to losing. We can be complacent. Forgiving. Ever hopeful. We would make horrible Eagle or Giants fans !!

But, enough is enough. As long time Ram fans, I would say we deserve much better then what we have been given. Time to get this thing fixed. And while we have zero influence over the organization, we should demand more then we have been seeing.
    I love this post

Thank you, Ram Brother

citr92 is offline Registered User

but to ignore any positives is really annoying...i hate this too but man...when some people flat out deny a positive, that's..well....annoying

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

That's what irritates me the most about this board some times. Losing sucks. No one wants to lose. But I've seen some good stuff over the last couple of games (defense against Seattle and the first half against the Titans, and Zac Stacy) for me to keep wanting to watch the Rams this year

I thought that when Sam Bradford went down that our season was done. And it is really, the Rams getting to the playoffs now would be difficult to say the least. But the team is fighting and we are still in games, and that's a surprise.

My main annoyance is that I only got to see one game this year where the Rams played well on defense, Zac Stacy was running well, and Sam Bradford was healthy, and that was against the Texans. That's why I'm looking foward to next season, because I can't wait to see all those parts come together to win games.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Nice post T247!

I have crossed the "Enough is enough" several times in my "Ram Fan Career" and short of standing outside Earth City with signs and a brown paper bag over my head, I have come to the understanding that there is not a lot that I (as a fan) can do about it.

A lot of sensible comments here that stress patience and time. New owner, new FO, New coaching staff, many youngsters on the team and frankly Rams seem to be doing better in whom they select. It is never going to be a Homerun with each selection.

On the flipside, even with all of that said, I do not see this it as impatience or short sightedness for the fan that wants a winner today. Rams have had plenty losing seasons since 1990 so I get where that voice is coming from. And now we have another losing season with the distinct possibility of double digit losses again. It surely is close to being our time to end the losing and have a winning tradition again. And I believe the owner and FO need to feel and try to understand why and where those without patience are coming from.

And while we have zero influence over the organization, we should demand more then we have been seeing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast