Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Some of you are just kidding yourselves.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Some of you are just kidding yourselves.

What is the length of the plan to get the Rams back to the post season? 3 years? 5 years? I could have sworn Fisher said his plan was to win immediately.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    What is the length of the plan to get the Rams back to the post season? 3 years? 5 years? I could have sworn Fisher said his plan was to win immediately.
    The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry............

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What does that even mean?

Was his goal to win immediately? Of course.
    Was his objective to win immediately? I should hope so.
    Was his expectation that the Rams would win immediately? Probably not.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

The expectations stem from the media believing that we were darkhorse candidates for the playoffs. We bit into that and when we started losing, we started kidding ourselves. My only criticism so far this year is Walton's gameplanning, this defense is better than last season, but they've been mediocre. I expected hiccups from the first part of the season for our offense and it all went as I believed. It was until that Carolina game, we had the worst luck right when we started to have a competent offense.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Considering the Rams won 7 games last season, added a probowl LT, a tremendous WR threat, a top flight OLB, were getting stronger down the stretch and added a decent TE in Cook:

Winning 9 games and being in the playoff hunt late into the season I think was reasonable to expect.

Without Bradford that's unreasonable. Still, the defense being so up and down is very troubling. Having a solid run defense isn't something that should be so up and down.
    Nick, PARamfan and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I don't recall Jeff Fisher making that statement because if he did he would be the laughing stock of all the other NFL coaches. In place the word "win" I recall him saying we would "compete", which is an entirely different concept. Every coach wants to win, that is why they have the job. What Fisher was implying to me was that if we compete we can win and once we win it can become a culture that permeates every effort in practice and on the field. Where I feel we as fans need to be patient is the process of watching these players become a team out of a collection of talent.

We are fortunate as fans of this team to have this Board or web site that allows us to vent our frustration, while still being loyal fans. Some of us have endured longer periods frustration and joy than others, but that is what makes a fan base. If you feel down about our team ,just look around the league. Have the Detroit Lions fans ever tasted what its like to go to the Super Bowl? The same can be said for the Jaguars, the new Browns and the Texans. Have Seahawk fans ever known the thrill of winning a Super Bowl? When was the last time the NY Jets went to a Super Bowl? None of this meant to make us feel better about what we're going through right now, but it does provide some context to what other fans should be feeling. Hey, its sports, our time will come and probably sooner than we expect. We just have to have faith in the people coaching and running our team. I do and I know there will be improvements coming because Fisher, Snead and Demoff are not content with what they see right now. Sermon over.

Go Rams!
    MauiRam and Randart like this.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I can’t remember him saying that. Maybe this is what he really said when addressing the team shortly after being hired:

“Alright guys – here’s the plan. We are going to completely revamp the team roster, and as we do, over the next 3 years we will likely get our collective clocks cleaned thoroughly now and then until we replace the guys who stink. I won’t call out any names, as most of you already know who stinks. That said, we can win a few here and there along the way. After the next three drafts, we should have acquired enough talent to legitimately compete within the division, but it may take a while for all the young rookies to gell – say 2015? In the meantime, play hard, have fun and try not to take it personally when we get creamed on occasion – you know, like punching out mirrors and stuff. Go Rams!”
    Last edited by MauiRam; -11-05-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    In the meantime, play hard, have fun and try not to take it personally when we get creamed on occasion you know, like punching out mirrors and stuff. Go Rams!
    Ha! I just commented the same in GC's thread about Hayes' outburst...

GO RAMS! ...But just in case things don't go your way, take it easy in the locker room.

Hayes is good people.

punahou is offline Registered User

Originally Posted by macrammer And while we have zero influence over the organization, we should demand more then we have been seeing.

well in truth fans can have influence.
    The NFL touts itself as a business. The NFL is akin to the corporate entity, and the teams are satellite branches of that entity.

If a branch is underperforming in the product it represents, the customer base doesnt have to buy the product. If the customers do not provide income to generate the profits, namely for player salaries, then at some point, that branch becomes expendable and ceases to exist.

Now I dont not knwo if the NFL has revenue sharing to keep unpopular franchises afloat, but at some point when it takes X dollars to run the franchise and that franchise is generating X-Y, then I dont see how the players can get paid.
    Last edited by punahou; -11-05-2013 at 06:40 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post

well in truth fans can have influence.
    The NFL touts itself as a business. The NFL is akin to the corporate entity, and the teams are satellite branches of that entity.

If a branch is underperforming in the product it represents, the customer base doesnt have to buy the product. If the customers do not provide income to generate the profits, namely for player salaries, then at some point, that branch becomes expendable and ceases to exist.

Now I dont not knwo if the NFL has revenue sharing to keep unpopular franchises afloat, but at some point when it takes X dollars to run the franchise and that franchise is generating X-Y, then I dont see how the players can get paid.
    Of course, if enough fans express their dissatisfaction by electing not to spend money on tickets and other revenue producing items, then the team can and will suffer.

That's not the issue, though. The issue is, how can fan apathy impact the organization's actions?

Certainly, the organiztion is not thinking "Gee, we're only giving 50% effort to build a winner... I guess we should try 100% now." NFL organizations are ALL trying to win, but they can't all succeed.

So, sure, you can vote with your dollars, but what will that change? Will the Rams spend more of their cap? (remember, they were at nearly 100% this year) Will they be bolder on draft weekend? (not sure how much bolder they can be) Will they hire a premium HC candidate? (already did that)

Indeed, probably the biggest impact that fans can have on the team by withholding their dollars is forcing Sam Kroenke to seek greener pastures. Is that what you want?

In the end, fans have little power (and, having read the comments of countless fans, that's a good thing).

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Of course, if enough fans express their dissatisfaction by electing not to spend money on tickets and other revenue producing items, then the team can and will suffer.

That's not the issue, though
    I have voted with my money in not supporting ownership of the Rams in the past. Not until the new regime just took over would I personally support spending my money on the franchise. May not make much of a difference but it is what I am about. I make a habit of not spending money on a product that is malfunctioned

Mikey is offline Registered User

Too long have Rams fans followed the draft avidly as the most exciting time of the season. Sitting through sixteen regular season games wondering what the April session will bring us in new hopes for the following season.

Too long have Rams fans sat through sixteen regular season games and marveled how other franchises later picks turned out better than new Rams and wondered why we chose wrong. But that's ok we still have next April to look forward to.

Frustrations over your favorite sports franchises are acceptable and understandable. As Rams fans there are other franchises whose fans have more reason to be depressed by a great margin than we do. Doesn't mean we shouldn't expect the best from our guys.

As a Rams fan who's first game saw Vince Ferragamo at QB I've seen a lot that's made me scratch my head, so much it's a wonder I'm not bald. The only time I came close to trading in my Rams fan membership card was when we traded Eric Dickerson. Oh those sad sad days.

My problems with the team are the same as a lot around here. The playcalling of Walton does not fit the talent on the roster and the play from the defense has been wildly inconsistent. And yes we have a young team and young players will make mistakes but it's not just the young guys.

I was not a fan of Austin before the draft and think there were better WR's for us that didn't require the trade up, but he's a Ram now and I hope for the best. Despite the fact that neither Fisher nor Shotty have every truly utilized a player with his skill set I want to see him succeed.

I was talking to a Lions fan recently who was baffled by our soft zone coverage. Walton never ran that kind of coverage in Detroit. In fact the Lions fans are pissed because after he left the Lions started running the same soft coverage.

I look forward to the rest of the year to see how the coaches will utilize the young talent and to see those players progress. I really want to see how the coordinators will adjust as the season goes on to the young players progression. Does Walton tighten up coverages? Does Shotty start to utilize Austin more as a WR than as a gimmick? We might not win many games the rest of the way out with the schedule we have but I look forward to seeing the team grow. And yes like so many of us I'm really looking forward to Draft 2014 NFL style!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Whatever the plan was, and whatever the timing of the plan was, i guarantee you that the plan did NOT include sammy tearing an ACL on a fluke play and being out for the rest of the season.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No, what I'm saying is that complaining about everything doesn't speed up the process one bit, so you might as well look for the good and try to enjoy the ride.
    It really is that simple.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    You may be somewhat unique from that perspective. I would imagine all true Ram fans look for good as much as they can whilst being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of losing over the year. Enjoying the ride is all a matter or perspective. I hold no issue with impatience, complaining, criticizing and or the fans that choose to look at the glass as half full....We all bring a different perspective and there is no right or wrong....just opinions.

I sometimes feel IMO we as Ram fans are used to losing. We can be complacent. Forgiving. Ever hopeful. We would make horrible Eagle or Giants fans !!

But, enough is enough. As long time Ram fans, I would say we deserve much better then what we have been given. Time to get this thing fixed. And while we have zero influence over the organization, we should demand more then we have been seeing.
    I think this is spot on. I do have one question. How long do you think it should take to rebuild a roster that was filled with what 24 players released last year that could not find a job in the NFL. You are correct we have been a very bad team for a long time. Again I ask how long should it take to create a winning culture and restock the depth on the roster, to go deep into the playoffs?
    MauiRam likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast