Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Some of you are just kidding yourselves.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Some of you are just kidding yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think this is spot on. I do have one question. How long do you think it should take to rebuild a roster that was filled with what 24 players released last year that could not find a job in the NFL. You are correct we have been a very bad team for a long time. Again I ask how long should it take to create a winning culture and restock the depth on the roster, to go deep into the playoffs?
    The Rams released 24 players after last season that haven't found jobs in the NFL?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Just understand, I'm not trying to tell anyone that they should not be frustrated.

If you're mad, get mad. Don't hold it all inside.

I mean, hey... what have you got to hide? I get angry too. Truth is, I'm a lot like you.

So, when you're standing at the crossroads, and don't know which path to choose, let me come along. Because, believe me, even if you're wrong, I'll stand by you.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I think this is spot on. I do have one question. How long do you think it should take to rebuild a roster that was filled with what 24 players released last year that could not find a job in the NFL. You are correct we have been a very bad team for a long time. Again I ask how long should it take to create a winning culture and restock the depth on the roster, to go deep into the playoffs?
    That's a very good question - particularly as some of us are wont to compare our team to others that have turned things around in a year or two. 24 players is a significant number. That would be the equivalent of an entire team 11 players on offense, and 11 more on defense - plus a punter and a kicker. Wow!

If we are able to draft (for the sake of discussion) 7 players each year, and six of those players each year make the team, (6 out of 7 picks each year? How many teams would like to do that?) it would take 4 years to replace the 24 players with draft picks. Of course, if we throw in a couple of free agents each year, then that time frame is cut down to 3 years. Unless my math is off, we appear to be on schedule to fill those roster spots in 2014. Give them a year to gell, and in 2015, on paper, we should be in pretty good shape.

The rub here, is that all of us want to win come gameday. When we fall short, it isn’t that difficult to go from football game to blame game. As Av correctly pointed out:
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    complaining about everything doesn't speed up the process one bit, so you might as well look for the good and try to enjoy the ride.
    Spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    But, enough is enough. As long time Ram fans, I would say we deserve much better then what we have been given. Time to get this thing fixed. And while we have zero influence over the organization, we should demand more then we have been seeing.
    As a fan, I don’t think I deserve anything – after all, I chose to be a Ram Fan. There were no agreements or stipulations whatsoever. It would be great if fans could just storm into an owner’s office, and “demand” more wins, but clearly that’s not a viable option.

When one considers that each year 20 teams sit at home during the playoffs, the odds of being one of the teams that does qualify are slim. Like it or not, that's the reality.

As a parting shot, I can say with conviction, I am way, way happier with our current owner, GM, HC and team than I was with the old regime. I get mad and stomp my feet probably every weekend. I get mad at the refs, mad at Schotty, mad at Walton, mad at Rams players who commit dead ball fouls, mad at the announcers - even when we win, let alone lose. During Ram games, I yell and I scream to the extent that my wife recently commented that it is considerably more fun for her when we watch a Ram game than it is when we watch other games. Apparently I do not provide sufficient amusement for her when observing the latter.
    RealRam and Flippin' Ram like this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

IMO, with the HIGH draft picks that have come the Rams way over the last 10 year, we should have already been there. Having said that, I understand bonehead coaching and FO representation have put the organization behind proverbial 8 ball.

Deep into playoffs is not, sadly, on my horizon. I truly expected a winning record this year (prior to season starting). Would we have gone there if Sam did not get hurt? Surely a matter of conjecture at this point BUT, my largest disappointment this year is with our defense. I felt the offense was coming together nicely....Defensively, we look to be more then a few rungs down from last years promising development. Couple that with the inordinate asinine penalties whether it be special teams or defense....... and you have a team that would be hard pressed to have a winning record EVEN with Sam at the helm IMO. So my expectations (again, stress the word MY) expectations were of a much greater magnitude then what I am seeing. Having the coaching staff we do and the "ahem" marquee players on defense (at least on paper) I truly felt our D would hold up while our offense caught on to the philosophy.

I have to accept it. I can do nothing about it. AND I do not like it one bit. Enough his enough.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    The Rams released 24 players after last season that haven't found jobs in the NFL?
    Yeah when Fisher took over in his first year, he let something like 32 go and 24 could not find a team to take them. The point is we where a team without much depth or talent. It takes time to build a roster from scratch. I think there is only nine left on the team, That said they are some of the best we have. Sam, Long, Quinn, JL.

If we are able to draft (for the sake of discussion) 7 players each year, and six of those players each year make the team, (6 out of 7 picks each year? How many teams would like to do that?) it would take 4 years to replace the 24 players with draft picks. Of course, if we throw in a couple of free agents each year, then that time frame is cut down to 3 years. Unless my math is off, we appear to be on schedule to fill those roster spots in 2014. Give them a year to gell, and in 2015, on paper, we should be in pretty good shape.
    Sounds about right to me. And in the intern we will be competitive in most games which was a far cry from where we where.

IMO, with the HIGH draft picks that have come the Rams way over the last 10 year, we should have already been there. Having said that, I understand bonehead coaching and FO representation have put the organization behind proverbial 8 ball.
    I can only speak for myself but what the old owner and her kids did with the team during the transition prior to selling it, really does not weigh into my timetable to rebuild. I just don't see how so many fans lump in Stan and the new FO with the past owners.

Deep into playoffs is not, sadly, on my horizon.
    It is on mine. I would rather see Les and Fisher build the team through the draft and coach them up then with an eye on having a very good team in it's prime, and have grown together. I have seen us in the past get stop gap players that come and go and we never seem to build anything that has legs to sustain itself.

I truly expected a winning record this year (prior to season starting).
    I did as well had us going 10-6 and maybe making the playoffs. Am I disappointed, hell yes,

Surely a matter of conjecture at this point BUT, my largest disappointment this year is with our defense.
    Yeah the defense has not done what I expected. Losing Dunbar and having three new players all pretty much rookies starting was the difference. But I think this is what Fisher is willing to do now and that is play the young guys instead of using stop gap players.

The bottom line this year for me, once Sam went down it was over. We will have to suck it up and find ways to win, so far we have not done that.

Bright spots can still come through Stacy is one and hopefully we will see Tavon and some other guys get playing time that will carry over to next year.

I fully expect us to make the playoffs next year, that just me.

macrammer is online now Registered User

For the record, I do not lump Stan in with the pervious ownership debacle......Let me give you an example with my basket ball team I am a Golden State warrior fan. This team fumble and bumbled for many years. One of the worst NBA teams/franchises in recent memory....Then came new ownership.....boldly stating they will make playoffs in his first year.......boldly trading away one of the most popular guys in the area......boom........ranked 7th in power rankings and upset Denver in first round last year.........I respect this Warrior ownership for saying and doing. I think we will see the see with Stan albeit in a much less bravado fashion. Thought this year but looks like next......

ljcrayton is offline Registered User

I see where you going with this, but let me remind that if it weren't for the stint of the greatest show on turf, our fan base would look like the jaguars....non-existent. I understand that no matter how much we complain and what not that we will still have to wait, but how long are we expected to keep going on this rodeo ride? we have 6 months of off season hopes, 4 weeks of pre-season hype, 4 weeks of hope of the season and then it comes crashing down. it's been like that since Steven Jackson's second year and I think we are just not buying what they are selling anymore.

It's not that we expect a 19-0 season (even though i do until we get a loss), we expect our coaches to deliver. You tell me that you see a young T.O. in a receiver, then damnit, I expect to see a young T.O. on the field. Yes, there will be growing pains, but why can't we ever strike gold? Where's our RG3? Where's our Desean Jackson? Where's our Devin Hester? Where's our Rob Gronkowski? Why can't we find a Revis?

I've already gave up on this season and I find it hard to get myself to watch Clemens pay.....i mean seriously? Bradford may not be the elite QB that we originally thought (yet?) but we had a shot at the playoffs with him. With Clemens, only thing we get is what we get every time he plays...a defense that plays better and an o-line that protects better...which to me makes watching football even harder because if the rest of the team plays like they play with a back-up, we wouldn't be in this situation.

(That's my rant and I'm sticking to it.)

Nice post by the way.

The Rams released 24 players after the 2011 season that couldn't find jobs.
    I was thinking you were saying after the 2012 season.

Most teams turn over a large portion of their roster when a coaching change occurs. I don't think the fact most didn't earn roster spots anywhere else is a significant factor. That just tells you how bad the team was when it was really bad.

This roster has a lot of talent. Around 2011 I posted a thread about the lack of players you could actually build a team around and it was like 8 on the entire roster. Now, they have probably 8 on each side of the ball that are quality starters.

The Rams released 24 players after the 2011 season that couldn't find jobs.
    I was thinking you were saying after the 2012 season.

Most teams turn over a large portion of their roster when a coaching change occurs. I don't think the fact most didn't earn roster spots anywhere else is a significant factor. That just tells you how bad the team was when it was really bad.

This roster has a lot of talent. Around 2011 I posted a thread about the lack of players you could actually build a team around and it was like 8 on the entire roster. Now, they have probably 8 on each side of the ball that are quality starters.
    That was my point. When I asked how long does it take to rebuild. I hear fans say some team have made a one year turn around. Well maybe they where not the worst team in history for a five year span, prior to their regime change.

That was my point. When I asked how long does it take to rebuild. I hear fans say some team have made a one year turn around. Well maybe they where not the worst team in history for a five year span, prior to their regime change.
    This is the second year of that turn around though.

citr92 is offline Registered User

it DOES take longer when you have the youngest team in the NFL

Yep it is, so how long do you think it should take?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234