Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: All not peachy in Patriotland

I actually took my wifes' uncle to a Patriots practice Saturday morning 7/29.
    He was there to see his team, I was there to show off my RAMS tats among other Rams articles of clothing. Tom Brady was there and looked very good.
    The story that's out on the local radio stations is that Brady is on a pitch count. Same as a professional baseball player. The Patriots are trying to save Bradys' arm for when it counts. Brady is Belichicks boy and if any player on that team gets preferrential treatment its Brady with Tedy Bruschi a close second.

FYI

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Somebody explain to me why the Rams can't be as good, or better, than Seattle

Sorry, I posted previous reply on the wrong thread.

:confused:

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Re: Somebody explain to me why the Rams can't be as good, or better, than Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by kman555
    you watch what differnce our defense will be with haslett..no more of martz' underqualified college buddies running it..im very excited about the change of coaching on both sides of the ball..seatlle is going to have superboewl hangover...everything went right for them last year..they will come back down to earth..
    I agree 100%

Punch 'em in the mouth Jim!

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'd trade the Rams secondary for the Seahawks secondary any day. I think theirs blows ours away. I also think that their O-Line is a bit better than ours, even without Hutchinson.

Let's not forget that they have arguably one of the top 3 RBs in the league.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I would give the Seahawks the edge in a number of categories, at least until we know more about our units.

1) RB: I think Steven Jackson is capable of great things this season, but I don't think he's going to close the gap with Alexander, a top three back in this league.

2) O-Line: Their interior even without Hutchinson is better than our's, IMO.

3) D-Line: While individually we may have comparible if not better talent, you can't argue with their unit's cohesiveness and results. When our D-line shows up like that, then we have the edge.

4) Secondary: You have to give them the edge. Their safety duo is better right now than our's IMO, and their cornerback group is slightly less deep but probably more talented (again, right now) at the top of the group.

There's probably a case to be made from a LB standpoint as well.

Now all of this could change as the season develops and we actually get to see what our guys are made of, but as of right now and considering last year's performance I'd put the advantage to Seattle in quite a few things.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Somebody explain to me why the Rams can't be as good, or better, than Seattle
    That's simple, it's what all the so call "experts" want you to believe.

There is a gap between Seattle and the Rams that needs to be closed. We saw it last year. But that gap, in my opinion, was the result of coaching issues, injuries and inexperience. It was NOT THE RESULT OF TALENT!
    Luck played a huge part for SEA last year. The ball just seemed to bounce their way. Of course in the end, the true sqwaks showed up.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

general counsel is offline Registered User

That kind of crap isnt called for in this forum. Go into the other forum if you want to talk like that. You dont hear us bashing you for spending the ENTIRE OFFSEASON complaining that the officiating was a conspiracy and making excuses as to how that it cost you the superbowl do you?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

brhokla Guest

Wow, I don't see what many of you are talking about. Seattle is deep at O-Line and other than Pace I'd take every lineman they have over yours. They are also much more talented in the secondary. Your Lbers look better on paper than last year but we will see. I think they may have an edge here too. RB... Jackson is not even close. QB, you guy's can't possibly think you are equal at this position do you? I see a big gap between the two teams hence the 6-10 record verus their record last season. You have an edge at wr but only with your starting #1 reciever. They are a better team at his point.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by brhokla
    QB, you guy's can't possibly think you are equal at this position do you?
    And why do you not? Behind what you agree is a less talented offensive line with less talent in the running game, Bulger put up comparible numbers with Hasselbeck last season before being injured, and clearly outperformed him in 2004. Bulger was sacked more in limited time than Hasselbeck was all season, but still was able to put up comparible numbers. The argument is definitely not crazy, as you make it sound.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by brhokla
    Wow, I don't see what many of you are talking about. Seattle is deep at O-Line and other than Pace I'd take every lineman they have over yours. They are also much more talented in the secondary. Your Lbers look better on paper than last year but we will see. I think they may have an edge here too. RB... Jackson is not even close. QB, you guy's can't possibly think you are equal at this position do you? I see a big gap between the two teams hence the 6-10 record verus their record last season. You have an edge at wr but only with your starting #1 reciever. They are a better team at his point.
    Wow!!! This says more about your lack of analytical skills than it does these two teams. Maybe you want to go back to the drawing board and give it another go.

Seriously, making a blank statement about taking ANY Hawk lineman over ANY Ram lineman (save Pace). You'd take a 36-year-old Gray, 36-year-old Tobeck, or Spencer, Sims, and Womack (a combined 1 start) over ANY Ram lineman.

You think Holt is the ONLY Ram receiver better than a Hawk receiver?

You think Hasslebeck has some huge advantage over Bulger?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

OrlandoPaceIsMyHero is offline Registered User

Why Seattle is better than St. Louis from a preseason perspective:

Seattle has a far better run-blocking offensive line, a proven secondary, and a quarterback who isn't an injury waiting to happen every play.

O-line

Sure, Pace is a better pass blocker than Jones, but Jones is a far better run blocker in my opinion. He's shorter for better leverage and makes a living mostly run blocking - pace is known as a phenomenal passblocker, but from what I've seen, his run blocking is only so-so. They lost Hutchinson but gained Tom Ashworth. I was always very impressed by Ashworth while he was on the Patriots, and if they can find a guard (whether that be Ashworth or someone else) to step up and even be 3/4ths as good as Hutchinson (which is sort of asking alot, I guess), their line will be comperable to the almost-unstoppable zone team that it was last year (excluding the superbowl).

Our line, on the other hand, has some serious run-blocking issues even discounting Pace's questionable run blocking talent (let's just assume he is good for the sake of argument - I don't know, maybe he is). Barron did a pretty good job pass blocking last year, but I thought he was atrocious on the runs. Maybe that's a product of Martz wanting to throw alot and therefore stressing teaching this guy how to passblock first, but I think that these ultra-tall (6'7''), relatively skinny, athletic tackles have a hard time getting leverage on shorter and more compact DEs and moving them backwards (unlike the bulldozer-like 6'5'' Walter Jones, 6'6'' tubby Ashworth). Also, our interior guys (guards/center) arn't very good at run blocking, as evidenced by our rushing stats last year. Perhaps if Incognito steps up and Timmerman/McCullom return to form (which I'm afraid I have to doubt), we will have a chance, but the Hawks have proven that their guys (even that suspect right side) can run block anybody short of the Steelers' defense with devastating effect. Until I see the Rams produce a run game that makes other teams sweat, I'll have to give a big edge to the Seahawks in rushing and therefore in the O-line category.

Incognito, who looks strikingly similar to an angry rhinocerous or buffalo while wearing pads, could be the answer to our run blocking woes.

Secondary:
    IF our secondary doesn't improve from last year, Seattle has a GIANT edge here. Boulware and Hamlin/Manuel and their corners were FAR better than our corners and horrific adam I-can't-tackle-because-I-have-a-hurt-back-archuletta / mike I-can't-tackle-because-I'm-really-a-WR-furrey safety combo last year (have any other NFL network subscribers noticed how they seem to make everyone else's highlight reels?). If Chavous is pretty good and OJ and our corners (whoever they may be) have a great breakout year, we may be able to compete here, but I think this is one area where the seahawks beat us pretty significantly with a good deal of proven talent.

QB:

QB comparison: I think that Hassleback and Bulger are comperable when it comes to throwing a football. Marc may even have the edge because his recievers are so good. The problem is that Marc Bulger's body does not belong on an NFL field. The guy is about as strong as your average 15 year old high school JV linebacker. I understand that strength doesn't matter much for a pocket-passer QB as far as on-field performance, but it makes a TREMENDOUS difference when it comes to getting injured. If you are a very strong guy, your body is able to take hits more safely as muscles take the strain rather than ligaments and tendons (Culpepper and McNabb if they didn't run). Also, if you're strong, your muscles can make split-second adjustments that help you fall less awkwardly or reduce strain on bones and ligaments in other ways. Finally, being strong is useful in that you simply weigh more, so, according to physics, it takes more force to accelerate you when you get hit (Peyton Manning).

While neither Hassleback nor Bulger are comperable to a different position player strength-wise, Hasselback clearly makes an effort to lift weights for the sake of injury prevention. Marc has made some statements during the last few offseasons that indicate that he gave up on lifting because he wasn't seeing any progress. His lack of dedication is going to make Marc very injury prone. Don't get me wrong, I love MB, but his girlish shoulders arn't going to do very well when they get slammed into the ground at 100mph after he gets launched in the air by the average NFL DE, or, as in the case of last season, blocked on an INT return by an undersized linebacker. Hasselbeck, with his bulkier frame, will survive this kind of beating better.

We have POTENTIAL to be better than them (if players like Incognito, Barron, Timmerman, OJ, and whoever our corners end up being step up and Bulger stays healthy), but the Seahawks have proven that they CAN do what we only HOPE to do.

With so much potential, we should be a fun team to watch this season.

-OPIMH (but only on pass plays)

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

QB, you guy's can't possibly think you are equal at this position do you?
    No way! Were not equal at quarterback we are better
    LET'S GO DODGERS

Quote Originally Posted by LaRamsFanLongTime
    No way! Were not equal at quarterback we are better
    I say it's close to equal (keep in mind that bulger has better WRs and a better system for passing during the martz days), but that Hasselbeck isn't going to get hurt all the time. Hasselbeck won the 2004 QB competition, while Bulger came in something near last (I think - I watched it a few months ago... bulger looked pretty bad).

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Hasselbeck won the 2004 QB competition, while Bulger came in something near last (I think - I watched it a few months ago... bulger looked pretty bad).
    Come now, you're not really using this in your comparison, are you?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fair point. The thing about the QB competition is that bulger looked pretty awful in most events, especially when it came to throwing the ball HARD. His vaunted accuracy didn't show up in the throw-to-recievers event as he threw the ball clean over tory holt's head out of bounds in a throw to the flat, missed a bunch of the more difficult throws (like a corner route), and his arm strength was pretty sad in the long distance throw. All in all, he looked pretty weak.

He certainly looks better in games. I'm not denying that he could be just as good or better than Hasselbeck when it comes to throwing the ball, I just wish Marc would work on this strength and athleticism a bit so that he could run some, break a tackle or two, and not get hurt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast