Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Someone explain the rule please on the taunting penalty

general counsel is offline Registered User

Someone explain the rule please on the taunting penalty

I put a comment on this in my good, bad and ugly post and no one responded to it, so i am going to try it as an individual thread and try for an answer from one of our rules gurus.

Can someone please explain why the taunting penalty was assessed on the kickoff, rather than as a penalty from the spot of the foul? The penalty happened on the field of play and during the play. It did not occur after the play was over. I am not aware of any personal foul that does not get assessed against the results of the play other than fouls that happen on an extra point. It doesnt make any sense to me. I get it when the taunting penalty happens in the end zone after the td is scored, because at that point, the play is over.

No one has complained about this, so it must be the rule, but it doesnt make any sense to me and i dont understand why? If there was a facemask on seattle on the play that happened during the play, the penalty would have been assessed from the spot of the foul. If there was a late hit AFTER the play was over, the penalty would have been assessed on the kickoff. Why is taunting any different?

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Someone explain the rule please on the taunting penalty

The call was correct under the rulebook, but I agree that if you truly want to deter that type of behaviour, you'd have a more severe penalty. I think that wiping out the whole play would be more than what is warranted, but I'd be okay with a rule that wipes out the TD and places the ball 15 yards from the spot of the foul.

thoey is offline Registered User

Makes no sense to me either. Sounds like a good question for our coach since he is on the rules committee.
    Varg6 likes this.
    This space for rent...

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Only in college is taunting a spot foul.

Part of me agrees with doing that, but I'm also concerned that, as taunting is something of a grey area, that such a rule could be abused. Particularly in light of the amount of money that is generated through gambling on the league.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

I was not sure about that either and I just looked up the rule. There is nothing to indicate that taunting is not a spot foul. Quite the contrary actually.

Here is explanation of taunting:

TAUNTING
    (c) The use of baiting or taunting acts or words that engender ill will between teams.
    (d) Individual players involved in prolonged or excessive celebrations. Players are prohibited from
    engaging in any celebrations while on the ground. A celebration shall be deemed excessive or
    prolonged if a player continues to celebrate after a warning from an official.
    (e) Two-or-more players engage in prolonged, excessive, premeditated, or choreographed celebrations.
    (f) Possession or use of foreign or extraneous object(s) that are not part of the uniform during the game
    on the field or the sideline, or using the ball as a prop

Unsportsmanlike Conduct Penalties:

Penalty: (for a through h): Loss of 15 yards from succeeding spot or whatever spot the Referee, after
    consulting with the crew, deems equitable.

So the only thing that I can interpret from this is that the touchdown was scored and after consulting with the crew (not sure if this happened) it was determined that the equitable penalty should be enforced at kickoff rather than the spot of the foul. I just find it hard to believe that with the determination of actual penalties being so subjective that enforcement of said penalty is also subjective rather than objective.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I think this rule should be changed. If the taunting takes place after the touchdown it's assessed on the kickoff. If it takes place before the touchdown (as in this case) the touchdown shouldn't count.
    RealRam likes this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
    I think this rule should be changed. If the taunting takes place after the touchdown it's assessed on the kickoff. If it takes place before the touchdown (as in this case) the touchdown shouldn't count.
    that's how i thought it was....lol

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

I actually thought he should have been flagged for taunting twice. First for the wave, and second for when he spiked the ball at Rodney Mc as they came together in the back of the end zone.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfnRAMFAN View Post
    I actually thought he should have been flagged for taunting twice. First for the wave, and second for when he spiked the ball at Rodney Mc as they came together in the back of the end zone.
    i was too mad at the play to notice the second one lol

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Two straight weeks we have faced classless receivers that resort to classless tactics.

It's not easy to play CB in this league. All the rules favor the receivers.

Thinking back, does anyone recall seeing such low class acts from the likes of Isaac Bruce? Henry Ellard? Art Monk? Steve Largent? Jerry Rice? (and many more).

It used to be that a receiver had bravado if he would go over the middle and catch passes. And I suppose any that acted with such classless disrespect, like tate or smith, could expect to eventually be lit up in doing so. Those days are gone and I applaud that but a disrespectful clown like tate could use the reality check of a hard hit when he goes over the middle.
    macrammer likes this.

i kind of think the quality in defenses are falling and the talent is not as evenly distributed as it used to be

so that's one part of it imo, just not enough guys to wreck those kinds of receivers

Haste is offline Registered User

What about the punt return where Austin was ran into after calling a fair catch and no penalty?

On the taunting issue, I feel it should be allowed. Players trash talk to one another the whole game, and if you get beat, one should be able to rub it in if desired. And we apparently have our dbs talking about players' families too.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=Haste;475958]What about the punt return where Austin was ran into after calling a fair catch and no penalty?

You noticed that too eh? Ive seen them been given against us many a time, it should have been a flag unintentional or not. Ive seen a good number of roughing the kicker penalties against us when the guy clearly is trying not to fall into him, this should be no different.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    On the taunting issue, I feel it should be allowed. Players trash talk to one another the whole game, and if you get beat, one should be able to rub it in if desired. And we apparently have our dbs talking about players' families too.

The problem with that is that a DB can shut a guy down for 40-50 plays, but one or two mistakes and the WR gets to taunt the guy? Really? Tate had like 92 yards on 3 catches, one of which was an 80 yard play. Where was he the rest of the game? Shouldn't he have been concerned about getting off the coverage the rest of the time?

emuen is offline Registered User

In part the taunting comes from Jenkins smack-talk and Tates frustration of having done nothing to shut Jenkins up. Tates frustrations cost his team 15 yards and, if not for a ST penalty, gave Rams the ball on the 30 yard line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast