BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Something I heard about the '99 draft.

I was on the road the other day listening to Kevin Slaten on KFNS 590 The Fan, and he was talking about the 1999 draft, where we acquired Marshall Faulk from the Colts for a 2nd and 5th round pick.

To my shock, Slaten stated that the Dick Vermeil didn't want to make the trade! In fact, apparently he protested the trade to John Shaw because he had his eye on a talented 1st round running back! Who was this temendous college prospect? None other than Curtis Ennis! Odviousely, Shaw disagreed, and said we are making the trade. Does this sound at all familiar Cheifs fans?The rest is history.

Oh, and by the way, who did we end up taking with that first round pick? Just a WR out of North Carolina named Torry Holt. Thanks John.

Have you guys heard of this before?
    Last edited by RamDez; -03-30-2007 at 01:37 PM. Reason: fixing 81's name :)

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Re: Something I heard about the '99 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyPace View Post
    I was on the road the other day listening to Kevin Slaten on KFNS 590 The Fan, and he was talking about the 1999 draft, where we acquired Marshall Faulk from the Colts for a 2nd and 5th round pick.

To my shock, Slaten stated that the Dick Vermeil didn't want to make the trade! In fact, apparently he protested the trade to John Shaw because he had his eye on a talented 1st round running back! Who was this temendous college prospect? None other than Curtis Ennis! Odviousely, Shaw disagreed, and said we are making the trade. Does this sound at all familiar Cheifs fans?The rest is history.

Oh, and by the way, who did we end up taking with that first round pick? Just a WR out of North Carolina named Tori Holt. Thanks John.

Yeah, it was well known that Vermeil was vehemently against the Faulk trade. The FO and the players (Issac Bruce more than others) were at their wits end with him..

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Oh, and by the way, who did we end up taking with that first round pick? Just a WR out of North Carolina named Tori Holt. Thanks John.

I usually don't play spelling police, but come on it's Torry.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO View Post
    I usually don't play spelling police, but come on it's Torry.
    ........ .......

blood85 is offline Registered User

Wow, glad we got Faulk.

CoMoChief Guest

This is a quote from DV:
    "Priest Holmes is the best RB I have coached." You didnt get Holt from the Trent Green Treen trade just for your inormation.

How's Jimmy Kennedy foing for guys this guys.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm afraid Kevin Slaten has his "facts" mixed up a little. Enis was the 5th pick of the '98 draft. That is to say, one spot ahead of where we took Grant Wistrom. Enis had already finished his rookie season with the Bears by the time we made the trade for Faulk.

Now, what Slaten may be referring to is the well-travelled idea that DV did not want the trade because he had concerns of Faulk's lockerroom presence. He was not sold on Faulk as a team player. I'm sure DV has never made open comments to that effect, so who knows if it's true or not. But that has been the word on the street for nearly a decade now.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoChief View Post
    This is a quote from DV:
    "Priest Holmes is the best RB I have coached." You didnt get Holt from the Trent Green Treen trade just for your inormation.

1. Slaten was mistaken. Enis was drafted by the Bears in '98. The Faulk trade and the Holt drafting took place in '99.

2. Even if DV did say what he said about Enis, that was 3 years prior to coaching Holmes, so I'm not sure how the quote is relevant.

3. I don't think anyone ever said the Rams got Holt from the Green trade, did they?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Trent Green trade yielded Damione Lewis.

My recollection of the 99 draft was that the Rams' choice came down to Holt, Champ Bailey or David Boston.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Yea, this should all BUT squelch the "Martz inherited the team from Vermeil" stuff.

1. Vermeil wanted to trade for Hofstetler after Green went down. Rams fan would have never heard of someone named Kurt Warner without Mike Martz.

2. Martz had a big say in bringing in Marshall Faulk.

3. Martz was part of the Rams war room in 1999 when they selected Torry Holt.

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoChief View Post
    This is a quote from DV:

....What?.....That comment is completely irrelevant and makes no sense.

aff15loader is offline Registered User

....What?.....That comment is completely irrelevant and makes no sense.
    Basically it doesn't make any sense. It is just the ugly side of this state pouting.

andy82 is offline Registered User

Anyway, wasn't it the 98 Draft about Curtis Enis?

keith m. klink Guest

godda Love the mmaaazzzzuurrree skool sistum .