Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Sometimes, its all about getting good games from mediocre players.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes, its all about getting good games from mediocre players.

As fans, its hard to resist the temptation to look at a trouble spot on the roster and ask "can't we sign someone" or "can't we trade for someone."

In reality, though, its just not that simple.

Though there are exceptions, typically starter-quality players are not sitting on their sofa at this time of the year. Likewise, most teams don't have such depth that they are willing to trade high quality players without a king's ransom in return.

So what do you do?

Well, as Dick Vermiel once said, you rally around the guys you have, and you play good football.

I think that's how Jeff Fisher is approaching the O line problem. He recognizes that Jackie Slater, Orlando Pace and Dennis Harrah aren't coming through that door.

We have to suit up the guys we have, create a game plan that plays to their strengths, and execute.

Next year, hopefully we'll have more talent on the O line.

For now, though, there is a battle to be fought, and we have to line up the guys we have with confidence, and with a plan.

And... hope.
    thoey likes this.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

Re: Sometimes, its all about getting good games from mediocre players.

I agree to a point. I would just add that sometimes you can think outside of the box. Maybe your not going to find a highly talented guy sitting on his couch, but maybe you could find a moderately talented, but highly motivated individual. Try some people out, see if anyone fits.

Quote Originally Posted by swatter555 View Post
    I agree to a point. I would just add that sometimes you can think outside of the box. Maybe your not going to find a highly talented guy sitting on his couch, but maybe you could find a moderately talented, but highly motivated individual. Try some people out, see if anyone fits.
    I'm sure the scouting department is doing just that. But Jeff Fisher's job is to build the confidence of the players he has right now.

Rambos is online now Registered User

To add a player this late that could start, not only would you need to find a serviceable player that is not on an active roster, the player would need to know they system. That takes time, you can't just plug in a player in a week that does not know the playbook and or scheme.

The scouting department already did it's job. We signed Shelley Smith and Ty Nsekhe during camp cuts. They have been in the system awhile and now it's next man up.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-27-2012 at 11:20 AM.
    ManofGod likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    We have to suit up the guys we have, create a game plan that plays to their strengths, and execute.
    Spot on. We're not going to win a heads up battle on the line, but we can play disciplined football, try and mix things up, and take care of business when the opportunities are there.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

As its been said many times before, but I'll say it again: this is not Madden. This is real life, and in real life, you can't just "plug" in a guy "off the street" and expect him to be able to block effectively at this level. Sadly, we'll have to continue to watch this horror show called our O-line, and hope that by some miracle things improve.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    To add a player this late that could start, not only would you need to find a serviceable player that is not on an active roster, the player would need to know they system. That takes time, you can't just plug in a player in a week that does not know the playbook and or scheme.

The scouting department already did it's job. We signed Shelley Smith and Ty Nsekhe during camp cuts. They have been in the system awhile and now it's next man up.
    Easy. Sign OG Jake Scott. He played for a few years with Fisher in Tennessee and was a rated a top to G in the entire NFL last year according to PFF. That sounds a WHOLE lot better than Ojinnaka right now.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Easy. Sign OG Jake Scott. He played for a few years with Fisher in Tennessee and was a rated a top to G in the entire NFL last year according to PFF. That sounds a WHOLE lot better than Ojinnaka right now.
    If it was that easy, don't you think someone (after all, the Rams are hardly the only team in the league with OL problems) would have signed him by now? I don't know what the issue is with Scott. Could be money. Maybe he's not healthy. Maybe he got out of shape.

Clearly, though... its not as simple as you seem to think it is.

Rambos is online now Registered User

The problem is this is not Fisher's offense it's Shotty's. He would need time to learn it. At some point we get Wells back and then we can have Turner move to guard.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The problem is this is not Fisher's offense it's Shotty's. He would need time to learn it. At some point we get Wells back and then we can have Turner move to guard.
    The issue is also financial, he wants a kings ransom to come in and play at this juncture, which is simply irrational.

jsimcox is offline Registered User

Sometimes, its all about getting good games from mediocre players.

Rams awarded OL Joe Barksdale on waivers from Raiders. per Rams twitter.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If it was that easy, don't you think someone (after all, the Rams are hardly the only team in the league with OL problems) would have signed him by now? I don't know what the issue is with Scott. Could be money. Maybe he's not healthy. Maybe he got out of shape.

Clearly, though... its not as simple as you seem to think it is.
    Yes the issue is money, but I dont actually seem to care whether you are paying Ojinnaka $1 mill or Scott $4 mill, what I do care about is my quarterback not being in a wheelchair on Mondays, especially this up-coming one.
    swatter555 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Yes the issue is money, but I dont actually seem to care whether you are paying Ojinnaka $1 mill or Scott $4 mill, what I do care about is my quarterback not being in a wheelchair on Mondays, especially this up-coming one.
    So you were able to speak with Scott's agent and confirm that he'd be willing to sign a 1 year, $4 million contract?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I tend to agree. Most guys who are in playing condition and have starting quality talent are already playing for someone else and won't be easily pried away. Sometimes you've got a situation like the Eagles where they've got more quarterbacks than they know what to do with or a starter coming back from injury but his replacement turns out to be good, as well. I'm not seeing a lot of those options on the current NFL landscape.

Jake Scott would seem like the exception. I'd love to see what he's asking that no one will pay.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Maybe Scott isn't bothered about playing unless he gets absolutely blown away with an offer. If he was going to be signed, he would have been