RamWraith is offline Registered User

Sore Timmerman is ready for first exhibition action

By Bill Coats
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/25/2005

It's far from time to panic, but Rams right guard Adam Timmerman acknowledged that he's becoming concerned about the nagging pain in his right foot.

"I talked to the foot doctor the other day, and he's not surprised that it's still sore," Timmerman said. "It's just a matter of we've been doing more and more each week, and it's getting about the same soreness. So I guess that's progress. But I'd like it to be better than it is, too."

Timmerman, who is preparing for his 11th NFL season, had surgeries in the offseason on both shoulders and to repair a broken bone in his right foot. The shoulders, he said, "feel pretty good. That wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for the foot."

The foot "just continues to get sore ... more afterward than when I'm out there" on the practice field, said Timmerman, 34. "It's kind of the next-day sort of thing."

This week, he has been practicing hard one day, then light the next in an attempt to keep the pain at a low ebb. The goal is to get him ready for Monday night's game in Detroit. "We're going to make sure we don't do anything Sunday, so hopefully that'll give me the rest I need," said Timmerman, who sat out the first two exhibition games.

More important, of course, is to have him hale and hearty for the opener Sept. 11 in San Francisco. Timmerman, 6 feet 4 and 310 pounds, hasn't missed a regular-season game since 1995, his rookie year in Green Bay. His streak is 157 games - 177 if playoff appearances are added.

That's remarkable durability in the NFL, particularly for an offensive lineman. He conceded the foot needed to improve some to assure that the steak remains intact.

"Last week, it probably would've taken two days (of rest beforehand), and I would've been fine for the game," Timmerman said. "But at the same time, you've got to practice. And two days off before a game is pretty tough to be as sharp as you want to be heading into the game."

Coach Mike Martz said: "We'll just keep working him into it, and then eventually he'll be back. Hopefully this is over in a week to 10 days."

Vitt returns

Assistant head coach Joe Vitt, who also coaches the linebackers, was hospitalized for 48 hours after returning from Sunday's game in San Diego with what was believed to be a staph infection.

After missing practice Wednesday, Vitt complained he received a less-than-enthusiastic reception when he returned Thursday.

"Nobody missed me a lick," said Vitt, who turned 51 on Tuesday. "In fact, the linebackers said they've never been coached so well in their whole life as when (defensive coordinator) Larry Marmie took over the linebackers. They said the game became much slower for them, much easier for them and they could see the whole field much better."
    Ram-blings

A flulike illness kept guard Tom Nutten off the field. Martz said Nutten received two bags of intravenous fluids both Wednesday night and Thursday morning. ... Defensive end Brandon Green has been working with the No. 1 unit in place of second-year pro Anthony Hargrove. ... Defensive end Tyoka Jackson (toe) and cornerback Terry Fair (personal issue) returned to practice after one-day absences.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Sore Timmerman is ready for first exhibition action

Brandon Green working with the first unit ahead of Hargrove...interesting. I doubt he will start ahead of hargrove, but it sure looks like he is going to make the team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Brandon Green working with the first unit ahead of Hargrove...interesting. I doubt he will start ahead of hargrove, but it sure looks like he is going to make the team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Maybe Green is this year's 2004 Brian Howard, or hopefully he will be this year's 1998 London Fletcher. Yea, I'm not holding my breath either, but a man can dream, can't he?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

HuBison, in the immortal words of Aerosmith, "Dream on until your dreams come true" Not as good as one of adarians bizarre quotes, but appropriate for the situation.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

rampete Guest

maybe hargrove has a case of the flu...or perhaps he's injured...but it's most likely that the d-staff wants to see how green does against the opponent ones...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    HuBison, in the immortal words of Aerosmith, "Dream on until your dreams come true" Not as good as one of adarians bizarre quotes, but appropriate for the situation.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I've got to admit that Green was a sleeper for me going into Camp. I thought he possessed some good qualities that could be serviceable. However, I'm not too sure how I feel about him with the one's. But this is just pre-season and doesn't mean anything....regarding Green or even Hargrove for that matter. Hopefully, they both continue to develop.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

A. Timmerman --I wish he wouldn't play at all and just practice until the season opener. Avoid stressing that swollen foot as much as possible.

I don't think he really needs to compete for now, even if it is at an exhibition level. But we certainly NEED HIM for the entire string of games (keep up those consecutive marks too). He's among the best guards in the NFL.

I'll have to talk to the trainers today. :1:

Get well Adam...