Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Sources: Checketts To Drop Limbaugh

Updated: October 14, 2009, 3:36 PM ET
    Sources: Checketts to drop Limbaugh
    By Adam Schefter ESPN Archive

Rush Limbaugh is expected to be dropped from a group bidding to buy the St. Louis Rams, according to three NFL sources.

Dave Checketts, chairman of the NHL's St. Louis Blues and the point man in the Limbaugh group attempting to buy the Rams, realizes he must remove the controversial conservative radio host from his potential role as a minority member in the group in order to get approval from other NFL owners, the sources said.

Three-quarters of the league's 32 owners would have to approve any sale to Limbaugh and his group. Earlier this week, Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay predicted that Limbaugh's potential bid would be met by significant opposition. Several players have also voiced their displeasure with Limbaugh's potential ownership position, and NFL Players Association head DeMaurice Smith, who is black, urged players to speak out against Limbaugh's bid.

Ultimately, the sources said, Checketts must reconfigure his group and find another investor to make his bid more viable.

Exactly when Limbaugh will be dropped is uncertain, though some familiar with the situation said it could be within the next week. It is unclear if the two sides even have spoken.

Earlier Wednesday, on his syndicated radio show, Limbaugh was defiant, holding on to hope that he still could be part of the ownership group that buys the Rams.

"I'm not even thinking of exiting," Limbaugh said on his program, according to a transcript provided to ESPN. "I'm not even thinking of caving. I am not a caver. None of us are. We have been betrayed by too many who have caved. Pioneers take the arrows. We are pioneers. It's a sad thing but our country over 200 years old now needs pioneers all over again, but we do."

Without Limbaugh, Checketts and his group would have to find a financial substitute to replace the sizable investment that Limbaugh intended to make. At the NFL owners meetings this week in Boston, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell addressed Limbaugh's potential involvement in the league and said "divisive comments are not what the NFL is all about."

Goodell added: "I've said many times before, we're all held to a high standard here. I would not want to see those comments coming from people who are in a responsible position in the NFL -- absolutely not."

In 2003, Limbaugh was forced to resign from ESPN's Sunday Night Football broadcast after saying of Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb: "I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well."

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sources: Checketts To Drop Limbaugh

Well, that certainly would be a victory for screaming mobs everywhere.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I wonder with the debt they are estimated to take on, how much does the 30% owner have to come up with? $250 million is a minimum before debt but I'm not sure if it's then reduced to say $175 million? Still, probably not easy finding guys like that just anywhere.

supachump is offline Registered User

If true, I'm a little disappointed that they would cave like that. I'm not Rush Limbaugh fan, but I hate when certain people push, shove and cry until they get their way.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Its better this way. Too much negative press exactly what we don't need. I have never seen the Rams so much on ESPN since the GSOT, we also got some time on CNN and MSNBC and other places. He is just too much of a polarizing figure and way to controversial IMO. It's not the Mark Cuban (owner of the Dallas Mavericks) kind of controversial it is the horrible kind

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It's his own fault. He shouldn't have voiced his opinion. And he should take responsibility for the things he says........and even those he did not say (eh, Burwell?)

No, the NFL is better than that. He should have electrocuted dogs, shot himself in the leg, and maintain a rap sheet of numerous DUIs like respectable NFL employees. All that is okay. Voicing an opinion? Not so much.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Yodude is offline Registered User

It's his own fault. He shouldn't have voiced his opinion. And he should take responsibility for the things he says........and even those he did not say (eh, Burwell?)

No, the NFL is better than that. He should have electrocuted dogs, shot himself in the leg, and maintain a rap sheet of numerous DUIs like respectable NFL employees. All that is okay. Voicing an opinion? Not so much.
    Well said, Hub.

I might add that anyone who pisses off Al Sharpton (who in my opinion is probably one if the biggest racists in America) is OK by me.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

im not even gonna go there on his political views etc..

but when a "silent partner" becomes the centre of attention..something gotta give.

hope Checketts (if the reports are true of course) can find a more silent ,silent partner because i think he could be a great owner for us.

folks can argue if he should stay with Rush or not..but i think he realises that the dream of becoming a head owner in the NFL just isnt gonna happen with Rush behind him.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It hasn't actually happened yet, but was there any doubt that this was going to be the way it played out? Limbaugh is radioactive, deserved or not, and he was never going to pass muster all the way through the process.

Obviosly Checketts is still interested in the Rams and will do the only thing that keeps him in the running. It will be interesting to see if there is a lingering backlash against him for including Limbaugh in his group in the first place.

The sooner this goes away, the better.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

When his opinions significantly handicap the Rams' ability to sign players at anything approximating real market value and result me being scorned as opposed to ridiculed for being a Rams fan, then yes, voicing them is a problem.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

The only thing that bother me is the timing. This happened two days after Sharpton and J.Jackson started pissing and moaning.

Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, and DeMaurice Smith all brought up the fact that the NFL is mostly black. Therefor Limbaugh shouldn't be allowed to own a team, because he is supposedly a racist (even though he employs African Americans on his show).

So on the one hand we have a white racist (or so people say), Limbaugh. On the other hand, we have two black racists (Jackson and Sharpton).

Goodell immediately caves in, and all but comes right out and says that Limbaugh won't be able to own the team because his "polarizing views" aren't something we want in the NFL. But apparently Sharpton's and Jackson's polarizing racist statements are okay.

Why?

We cannot start denying people things just because we don't agree with their point of view. How is that any better than denying somebody something because of the color of their skin?

It isn't. So why is this kind of prejudice exceptable?

Look, I didn't really care one way or the other if Rush bought the team. But I think he should have at least been given the opportunity.

jec1521 is offline Registered User

Rush got a bad wrap, in my opinion. 99% of the so-called "quotes" that you hear about are made up. Not taken out of context, but completely made up. I've actually heard that Limbaugh is pursuing legal action.

TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

its done and over with guys. lets get back to rooting for our team and for Checketts to keep them in St. Louis.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

I never liked that Rush was a potential minority owner of the Rams, but I at least respected his opportunity to become one. I don't agree with him ever, but there's no reason why he shouldn't be given a chance to do so. I just hope that Checketts is able to find someone with some money to blow to keep his bid going. I really want to see him get a chance to revive the Rams.
    I believe!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

No matter what side of this arguement you're on, dropping Limbaugh appears to be the best thing that could happen to this franchise under the circumstances, regardless of who's hurt by the decision.

It makes absolutely no sense for a team in a position like the Rams, to pursue someone who has more potential of chasing players away than adding them to the roster.

How anyone could've perceived Limbaugh to be a viable option is beyond me. The mere mention of him as a potential owner is no less than a trainwreck waiting to happen.

A trainwreck of his own doing, I might add.

IMO, it would've been a simple matter of time before he stuck his foot in his mouth again, had the uproar not occurred and he not been denounced.

Some of you are hurt by that. Hurling insensitive comments at the likes of Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton as if they were the only ones opposed to this debacle of an idea. And then even having the nerve to compare an individuals misconduct to something that has killed more men women and children than anything this world has ever known, (racism).

Shame on you.

No one persons indescretions could come anywhere close to comparing with the institution of racism, which is the reason Limbaugh will not be allowed in. Not saying he's a racist, but he's certainly racist-ish.

His unfiltered, race-baiting comments are not as harmless as some of you try to make them out to be. They actually offend millions. I would suggest that it's easy to pass off his comments as just a shock-jock trying to make ratings if you're not the target of any them. However, being the target of someone's wrath has a whole different feel to it, I can assure you.

So my only message to Limbaugh is...you've made your bed sir, now lie in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast